Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 - Steering wheel compliance

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default C5 - Steering wheel compliance

I think I've finally determined I have a problem with my front suspension.

83K miles and about 10 track events. My steering has gotten to the point of needing at least 9-10 degree's of turn, in either direction, to get wheel movement. I've always read reviews of the C5 and talk about how poor the feel is. I had a few people drive the car yesterday and they all commented on how early you had to turn in and the wheel gave no feedback.

At times I've been in the corner, dialed in what I know to be way too much wheel but nothing happens, it doesn't understeer at all.

Going down the straight at Grattan around 120 the front end becomes a bit bouncy and I need to steer it quite a bit. On braking its worse and I'm slowing from 130-133.

After cracking a rotor I drove it home and the passenger side is all over the road. It may be a shock but changing lanes at 70mph now produces the same feeling I got at 120mph.

I need to pull the corner off, maybe the stay bar end link came off.

A guy at the track was telling me he had a lot of streeing compliance also and went to poly bushings. Is there anything else I should look at while its off?

I'd love to get more direct steering in the car.

I think after yesterdays event and still for as screwed up as the car is how comfortable I am with it that its going to be a keeper. I kept going back and forth to sell or keep since I'm at the point where I need to spend money. Bushings, brakes, spindle ducts, etc.

I'll pull it apart tonight. I suspect I might have pushed a bushing out in the LCA, it was marginal last time and maybe yesterday did the trick.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Also look carefully at the wheel bearings....

They could be loose. I would suspect that before control arm bushings being that bad.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I'll check that tonight, never thought of it...

Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
SilvaDragon
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the pinch bolt at the rack, too. Those can loosen up
and make for some play in the wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 - Steering wheel compliance

Quick Reply: C5 - Steering wheel compliance