Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick upgrades for 08 c6---help

Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM
drimola
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick upgrades for 08 c6---help

I am taking delivery of my 08 tomorrow-M6; Z51; Performance exhaust. I plan to attend a BMW HPDE event (advanced group) in two weeks and want to do some minor upgrades to last until the snow flies in Michigan. So, What brake pads should I install? What brake fluid should I use? I have a set of C5 wheels and wondered if I could install some race sneakers on them and use on the C6 for a few track days? What tire options are good choices?
Also, how many miles should I put on the car before I turn it loose on the track?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the impending arrival of your new baby!

I'm assuming since you're in the Advanced group that you have several HPDEs under your belt. You're starting off w/ a pretty awesome platform to begin with (C6 and 436HP and Z51), so you could have a pretty damned good time as it will be delivered tomorrow. That said, let's see:

- I'm in favor of getting a true track brake pad and changing to go to the track, rather than trying to find one that will do double duty on street and track. You just don't get enough lasting performance on the track that way, IMHO, and they tend to be too noisy on the street. So, I personally like Carbotechs, and have also had good results w/ Wilwoods.

- I use Motul RBF600. Good stuff.

- I would imagine you can use those C5 wheels w/o any issues. I think early C6s had problems if they didn't see the tire pressure sensors, but I believe that's been relaxed (somebody in the know wanna chime in?).

- I usually run Hoosiers myself. I've gotten a LOT of life out of a Grand Am (front) and Rolex (rear) mixed set of scuffs that I bought from Bob Chick (usdrctrs@aol.com). But those were for Z06 wheels. Not sure what size C5 wheels you have. I also have a couple of sets of R3S05s that I'll be running next, along w/ some V710s that I've never used before (so, no recommendation one way or the other there).

- As for mileage, I'm no expert, but if it were me, I'd probably be trying to get at least 500 miles on the car before the DE.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
Fred
Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't answer about the TPMS, the data varies by who reports it, and I'm not 100% sure the front 17" C5 wheels will clear the larger Z51 brakes.

As for tires, if you're sticking with the 19in rear wheel I think you're looking at Toyo R888s or Hoosier A6/R6 in some mildly funky sizes since you have 18x8.5+19x10.

I've run PFC 01s on my '06 Z51 with good results. I downgraded to C6 base brake brackets and $25ea NAPA rotors. I also use the Motul 600RBF.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by drimola
Also, how many miles should I put on the car before I turn it loose on the track?
I'd go for a minimum of 500 miles, and then change out the engine oil and diff lube minimum, and the tranny fluid if at all possible. Lots of break-in wear in those early miles.

Actually, as I think about it, I'd change out those fluids before the DE regardless of the miles you rack up in two weeks.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

alignment and Valvoline Synpower fluid will get you through your first event fine order! Old 18" Wagon wheels from the early C5's make strong, cheap track wheels also.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I used to run Ford HD fluid... it has a 550 dry boiling point and is availavble at any dealer for cheap. I run ATE Superblue now.

Not sure if the 17" c5 wheel will clear the C6 brake rotor. You can get the baseC6/C5 caliper bracket and run the cheapo NAPA rotors at $25 each!

For your first event I'd get the allignment setup to your liking, swap all fluids (trans, dif, motor after initial break-in) including brake. And lastly get some good track pads like Wilwood H's or Carbotechs.

The vehicle break-in is really for the trans/dif as modern motors don't need breakins... the rings seat almost instantly.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Ford brake fluid has changed--check the spec's on container.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Depending on where you are running it, for your first session or two, run it as it is. Then put on some good Carbotechs and note the changes (and lap times).

For your next event, if you're an experienced driver, look for wheels, tires, SS brake lines, T1 sway bars, Castrol or Motul brake fluid...and of course all the safety equipment you can afford - belts, suit, seat, HANS, gloves, etc, etc.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
drimola
Heel & Toe

Picked her up yesterday... What a ride! I hope to get past the "break in" this weekend.
I have a lead on 4 -C4 ZR1 wheels- from 1991 or 1992 I think. They are all front wheels, so if they would fit, I could use them for track wheels only, have more less expensive tire options, and have the ability to rotate them. Would this be a possibility??
Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't think 17" wheels will fit over the Z51 front rotors; they're pretty snug on C5 rotors; I think yours are close to an inch larger diameter. Better check before you buy.

However, 18" wagon wheels (18 x 9.5) or 18" Z06 wheels (18 x 10.5) should work OK.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

IIRC, C6 Z51 fronts are 13.4" rotors vs 13" on the base and C5.

The C5 wheels have a different offset but I know folks here have thrown C5Z rear wheels on all four corners for track wheels. And remember, you can easily fit 18x11 wheels at all four corners on the C6 non-Z cars which gives you the chance to run much wider tires...

Get notified of new replies

To Quick upgrades for 08 c6---help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick upgrades for 08 c6---help