Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Trailer Peeps. Pics Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:59 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Open Trailer Peeps. Pics Please

Hey all you guys that haul with open trailers any of you have boxes and tire racks on them by chance? if so i'd like to see some pics and dimensions on watch ya got.

I just recently purchased a Texas roll back trailer and am looking at putting a box and a tire rack up front so i'm kinda curious as to what some of you other guys have. Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Open Trailer, Pics Please

Here are pictures of my trailer. Had it made to my specs. Originally put two tire racks on it as shown, but will now remove one of them. Carries more tires than I need. I made the box from plywood with fiberglass sheets on the exterior. This trailer tilts hydraulically with two cylinders under front end. Trailer normally comes with one cylinder, but based on the weight I was putting on the front in addition to the car (86 Vette), the manufactured recommended two. I planned what would be carried in box, weighed everything, and measured each item so I knew what would fit and where. Also weighed tires. Box contains a toolbox, compressor, small generator, fuel, jack and other things. Plan on replacing the box with a lighter one. Box hinges at front of trailer and rests on the tongue when open. This gives full access to anything I have in it and does not get in the way.
I specifically designed the tire racks to be parallel on the trailer so I have full view behind me and around the trailer. This was a very high priority feature for me.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
HTH
Ed

Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

wow thanks for that setup how long is that trailer by the way? looks like a 24 almost. I only have a 20 so i will probly get stuck with putting my tire rack ontop of my box i'm current;y looking into a 18T X 24W X90L to put across the trailer all i plan to carry is some tools along with my jack and an air tank in there. I'm still in the planning stages for the most part.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:23 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

This is not a tilt trailer, but it might help with some of your layout. The rig trailers great with a small Pathfinder. There are 3 gas cans between the tires. JD
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Here's my creation - rock shield, tire rack, plus storage for bins under it all:

Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No pics with the vette on it yet but here it is with my TA:

Old 09-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

That's a very nice set up Freefall. I saved this pic last year to use as a blue print.

I also have a tilting trailer (Sloan KwikLoad) and I'm wondering whether with more weight on the front because of tire racks, tires and toolboxes etc the "tilt" operation will be affected ? I'm thinking about the balance factor here when loading/unloading cars.

I suppose I could go and look at the trailer and see exactly how it works but someone must have a tilt working with tire racks etc.
We need pics.
Good thread.
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Thanks - two more:

Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Answer to size question

97C5inSD
The trailer is 22.5 feet long plus 4’ tongue. The box is full width of trailer, 22.5” high and 38.75” deep (front to back). Your car will be about 16’ long, so you have 4’ to work with. As you plan, think about ALL of the things you need and may want. From comments I always hear, once you get started, the trailer is always too small, so make the box as large as you can initially.
Ed
Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks all that posted Pics

FreeFall your trailer setup is definatly nice i think i'm gona have to do alittle copying of your tire rack design if you don't mind.

Eogel thanks for the dimesions

Tourmgr1 Your sloan is very similar to my trailer and from what i have seen with mine with a box that is 2 foot wide with tires on it and tools i would think that the trailer will still function properly since the wheels move almost completely to the front of the trailer. But i suppose i will find out for sure here in a few weeks when i get my box in and tire rack on
Old 09-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Tire rack is the way to go. I have a ton of room now inside the SS with the tires outside. Next step is to add a toolbox.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
speedneed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are all these tire racks custom made or did you buy it somewhere?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Tire rack is the way to go. I have a ton of room now inside the SS with the tires outside. Next step is to add a toolbox.

Could you share some specs/dimensions on your tire rack? Looks fairly simple and straightforward. A closeup pic of the end piece would be nice if you could do that too!!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Thanks, more pics please. Close ups.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Could you share some specs/dimensions on your tire rack? Looks fairly simple and straightforward. A closeup pic of the end piece would be nice if you could do that too!!
I can take detail pics and get dimensions toward the end of the week.

As a FYI - The trailer is a Sloan Rollback and I use a weight distribution hitch to tow with the SS. The tire rack with tires is below the height of the SS. The nose of the vette fits under the front of the tire rack.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Nice setups... I recently picked up a 18-ft full deck from Sweet Rivers Trailers in SC. It's custom made w/ drop axles so that the deck is 4" lower than a normal car hauler. makes loading a breeze, no need for crazy ramps or extra boards etc. Only downside is that every now and then the end of the trailer will scrape backing it up or going out of a steep parking lot etc... just have to take it at an angle.

I pulled it for the first time this weekend to VIR and back from Va Beach w/ my GMC canyon. Using a trailer brake controller, air bags, and an equalizer hitch made towing simple. Having a truck I don't need a tire rack just yet. Have a large bed box in the pickup bed, and the bed fits 4 tires across easily, 4 fuel jugs in between my wheel wells, and my popup awning in between.

I guess if an SUV is your tow vehicle then boxes and tire racks are more of a necessity.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by speedneed
Are all these tire racks custom made or did you buy it somewhere?
mine was custom made. I could not find one that was already done.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 AM
bruce1
Melting Slicks

Here is some old pics of mine, no tool box installed yet, just use the bed of the pick up .

Get notified of new replies

To Open Trailer Peeps. Pics Please

Quick Reply: Open Trailer Peeps. Pics Please