Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Lap of America - 2008 - Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One Lap of America - 2008 - Schedule

The preliminary route has been put up on the one lap bulletin board by Brock Yates. Here is first draft at tracks....

May 3rd: Start Tire Rack
Road America
May 4th: Mid America
May 5th: MSR Houston
Drag Strip TBA
May 6th: No Problem
May 7th: CMP
Oval TBA (though not hard to guess)
May 8th: VIR
May 9th: BeaveRun
May 10th: Finish Tire Rack

Looks like the transit distance may be a bit shorter but some great tracks! Th run from South Bend to MAM is a pretty long run, with or without tornados. Keep in mind the route is always subject to change but, now is the time for those interested to start prepping!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1lapRacer
The preliminary route has been put up on the one lap bulletin board by Brock Yates. Here is first draft at tracks....

May 3rd: Start Tire Rack
Road America
May 4th: Mid America
May 5th: MSR Houston
Drag Strip TBA
May 6th: No Problem
May 7th: CMP
Oval TBA (though not hard to guess)
May 8th: VIR
May 9th: BeaveRun
May 10th: Finish Tire Rack

Looks like the transit distance may be a bit shorter but some great tracks! Th run from South Bend to MAM is a pretty long run, with or without tornados. Keep in mind the route is always subject to change but, now is the time for those interested to start prepping!
Maybe Road America will be in the dry for once
Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update...

MAM to Houston will be a run and getting to Road America from Tire Rack means "Chicago"

Rockingham?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 PM
MightyZR-1
Instructor

Chicago won't be as bad as the police speed traps in Wisconsin. The good news is the police take credit cards on the spot for your fines.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:29 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MightyZR-1
Chicago won't be as bad as the police speed traps in Wisconsin. The good news is the police take credit cards on the spot for your fines.
I use to live in Marshfield and Stratford WI way back in the late 1970's - them taking credit cards is a plus and a new twist...
Old 09-09-2007, 06:28 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by varkwso
Thanks for the update...

MAM to Houston will be a run and getting to Road America from Tire Rack means "Chicago"

Rockingham?
Yea, Chicago at 11-2pm.. yay. That might be the hardest leg. (and longest)

I believe the oval will be Florence, SC.

Jon
Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Florence is a 1/2 mile oval isn't it?

The 99 Fixed Roof Coupe should be new drivetrain from front bumper cover to the differential and should be well sorted by May 2008. Add a trailer hitch and a small nitrous hit for the wide open throttle power adder - it should be suitable for OLOA.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 99 Fixed Roof Coupe should be new drivetrain from front bumper cover to the differential and should be well sorted by May 2008. Add a trailer hitch and a small nitrous hit for the wide open throttle power adder - it should be suitable for OLOA
Nitrous ?????? You like working on that car dont you, Jeff...... Just shut-up and drive, you don't need the spray. Look how well we finished from Roebling (10 sec. penalty) to the end in '06, all with stock,tired 02 ls6...
Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Nitrous ?????? You like working on that car dont you, Jeff...... Just shut-up and drive, you don't need the spray. Look how well we finished from Roebling (10 sec. penalty) to the end in '06, all with stock,tired 02 ls6...
I must since I do it often enough lately . The old engine should be out in a few minutes ..

Then when I get all my new parts in next week I can start reassembly. I went through a whole box of sandwich bags - plus a few gallon ones and snack size - bagging up bolts and pieces...

Driving, and reliablility, is the key to doing well at OLOA - not
raw HP....but I sure do like lots of normally aspirated HP....
Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

MSR Houston - any feedback?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

ANy tips on what prep we should be doing now?!?!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:18 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by 383_BluByU
ANy tips on what prep we should be doing now?!?!
Start asking for work off for that week.

Maybe make reservations at the event hotel. Though, I know sometimes hotels won't take reservations more than 6-months out. I am not sure about that hotel, as I have never known that I was going to run One Lap more than 4 months in advance.

If you are really brave.. start trying to find track days at the track so you can pre-run them. (but blah.. that's no fun)

Start saving money. There are going to be more expenses than you plan for - or maybe moreso, once you get there you are going to want to spend more $. It might be on something as little as t-shirts, or something as important as noise-canceling headphones.. those little things will add a few hundred $ to the trip.

SVRA license is going to require a physical. If your doctor is like mine, that might mean making an appointment months in advance, waiting till March to make said appointment might be too late..

Other than that I think you are doing well, the other thread has you pointed in the right direction in terms of track days, driver gear, etc.

Jon
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I would pre-book as many hotels as possible - no cancellation fee on most. Look for ones close and/or the expected route to the track.

The host hotel is a dive IMHO - I stayed at the Residence Inn for less money by pre-booking.

Unlike Jon - I would pre-run ALL the tracks if I had the time and $$$ - Most of us are faster when we know the track...

It will consume a cool $10K for a team of 2 plus or minus {entry fee($2500), licenses ($300), hotels($800-1500), gas ($1500), TIRES($2000), car prep($1000), physicals($40), food, etc.}
Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Unlike Jon - I would pre-run ALL the tracks if I had the time and $$$ - Most of us are faster when we know the track...
I am faster if I pre-run it I am sure... but it just isn't as much fun. Fun vs. Faster.. and probably more competitive. Because I have more time to plan this year, I bet that I do go prerun it.. I don't want to lose positions because I was 2 seconds a lap slower than I could have been.

Jon
Old 09-10-2007, 09:31 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racerjon1
I am faster if I pre-run it I am sure... but it just isn't as much fun. Fun vs. Faster.. and probably more competitive. Because I have more time to plan this year, I bet that I do go prerun it.. I don't want to lose positions because I was 2 seconds a lap slower than I could have been.

Jon

Shoot - I just want to be in the same ZIP code as you fast guys. It is fun to haul azz when you are not real sure if you can make it or not around the corner....if I am breathing I know I am not driving fast enough.

Let me know when you plan some of the pre-runs...maybe we can get to the same events

Where can we get some skid pad time? Easy access and cheap are important....

Speaking of pre-running - on your one warm up lap - drive it as hard as you dare - it really helps on your three hot laps...
Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Shoot - I just want to be in the same ZIP code as you fast guys. It is fun to haul azz when you are not real sure if you can make it or not around the corner....if I am breathing I know I am not driving fast enough.
Yea.. there have been a few One Lap runs where I don't think I was breathing. I described it to someone once as "not just a physical change in self, but a chemical change." I really really think I would love rally because of that. 103% on a course I don't know, autocrossing has only done that to me once - on a 90-100mph airport course in the CRX.

Let me know when you plan some of the pre-runs...maybe we can get to the same events
I will let you know, I know I want to take that beast to Road America before One Lap, there is an F-body club that runs a good pair of days up there in April and I will probably try for that. CMP - at least the One Lap school if they do it (I bet they do) and maybe more. No Problem is harder to get, I did well last year without running it so I might skip it. Same with Mid America - it's far away, and I know it. BeaveRun.. it's close to Mongoose so I bet I go. VIR would be nice but again.. $$$ so it all depends. Texas is the one I would try to go to the mst.

Where can we get some skid pad time? Easy access and cheap are important....
CCR-SCCA does an autocross test-n-tune each year in Feb or March where they set up a skidpad. For the $30, that might be your best bet.

Speaking of pre-running - on your one warm up lap - drive it as hard as you dare - it really helps on your three hot laps...
^^^What he said :-D

Jon
Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I would pre-book as many hotels as possible - no cancellation fee on most. Look for ones close and/or the expected route to the track.

The host hotel is a dive IMHO - I stayed at the Residence Inn for less money by pre-booking.

licenses ($300),

What is the Host Hotel in south Bend?? Also, What is the $300 license? I though the SVRA membership ran about 85 each.. did I miss something?

does Brock have us stick to a set route or does it not matter as long as we get there in the prescribed time?

Get notified of new replies

To One Lap of America - 2008 - Schedule

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Yea, Chicago at 11-2pm.. yay. That might be the hardest leg. (and longest)

Jon
There is always the Lake Express car Ferry. If you can make it to Muskegon by 10:15 am it will get you to Milwaukee in an hour and a half. South Bend to Muskegon is 124 miles how much time do you have?

http://www.lake-express.com/pricing/index.aspx

Not cheap though, $72 for you car and $62 per person.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hotels,You guys get to stay in hotels? I ran in 2001 & 2002 and only had time for one hotel night each year for about 2 hours to shower and shave.

Are they giving drivers more time now so they can rest & get hotels?

Dean and I were pretty RIPE in 01 after one week in this ride.

Aaron Quine

Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
There is always the Lake Express car Ferry. If you can make it to Muskegon by 10:15 am it will get you to Milwaukee in an hour and a half. South Bend to Muskegon is 124 miles how much time do you have?

http://www.lake-express.com/pricing/index.aspx

Not cheap though, $72 for you car and $62 per person.
That could be fun just for the experience factor. Though, that is expensive.. Tolls don't even get close to that.

Jon

Quick Reply: One Lap of America - 2008 - Schedule