Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads for track days

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 AM
TransAmGT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake pads for track days

I want to ask your opinion on brake pads, I want to get a set for track days (I will put stock Z06 pads back on for the street) What is the best pad to use without tearing up my rotors too much Hawks? EBC's?. The stockers worked great last track day even though Roebling isn't much of braking track. What do you guys recommend? Should I just stay stock since I will be at Roebling again this time?!? Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Carbotech XP12 in front and XP10 in the rear. Brake pads are like beer everyone has their favorite.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget about going easy on your rotors. Face it, if you are going to do track days and going to run other than stock pads (or even with stock pads), you are going to eat up your rotors. But rotors are cheap, relatively (or they were until NAPA raised the prices). You can still get them from rockauto.com.

I ran Hawk HP+ pads with my stock setup, and they worked well for me on the track. The just dusted a lot and went through them pretty fast. But they stopped good and didn't get any fading even at the end of a long day of track sessions.

I switched to Wilwood calipers, rotors and pads, and it's like driving a different car. If you are serious about getting out on the track and doing a lot of track days, consider the brake upgrade. It is well worth it to be able to stop the car when you have to.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by beerkat
I run the Carbotech XP12 in front and XP10 in the rear. Brake pads are like beer everyone has their favorite.
Super company...super product!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you are running street tires hp+ pads or another compound like that would be good. if you use slicks run the more aggressive pads. too much brake on street tires are hard to modulate. make the car as easy to drive as you can.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
1ED1
Racer

if you are running street tires hawk hp+ pads are as aggressive as I would use. if you are using slicks go with the more aggressive pads.
aggressive pads are hard to modulate with street tires.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:31 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ED1
if you are running street tires hawk hp+ pads are as aggressive as I would use. if you are using slicks go with the more aggressive pads.
I keep hearing this, but I ran PFC 01s with the stock F1 Supercar runflats with no issues.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ED1
Not true, PFC01 are fantastic on race or street tires and they have a heat range up to about 1600F IIRC.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Forget about going easy on your rotors. Face it, if you are going to do track days and going to run other than stock pads (or even with stock pads), you are going to eat up your rotors. But rotors are cheap, relatively (or they were until NAPA raised the prices). You can still get them from rockauto.com.

I ran Hawk HP+ pads with my stock setup, and they worked well for me on the track. The just dusted a lot and went through them pretty fast. But they stopped good and didn't get any fading even at the end of a long day of track sessions.

I switched to Wilwood calipers, rotors and pads, and it's like driving a different car. If you are serious about getting out on the track and doing a lot of track days, consider the brake upgrade. It is well worth it to be able to stop the car when you have to.

Which wilwood kit did you end up going with? LG's?? Did you find something that would fit under the 17's?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
dnabro
Heel & Toe

what pads are you using for the track or street with the wilwood front brakes
Or do you use one type for all around
thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

PFC '01's are my current favorite, but we are testing some of the other PFC compounds.

Our customer's like the Baer mono block Extreeme + big brake package and we stock both street and race compounds for those as well as the stock Corvette calipers.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
1ED1
Racer

Originally Posted by C6400hp
Not true, PFC01 are fantastic on race or street tires and they have a heat range up to about 1600F IIRC.
i did not say anything about other pad just said what i liked. pf states that novice drivers may find this pad challenging to modulate. there words not mine. make your car as easy to drive as you can and you will be faster.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00BlkFRC
Which wilwood kit did you end up going with? LG's?? Did you find something that would fit under the 17's?
I have the Wilwood SPL6 fronts, SPL4 rears, with the LG kit. They mount up to the stock bracket attachment points, and the fronts do fit under the 17" stock wheels. The Wilwood kit comes with a 2-piece rotor, 13" fronts, so no problem fitting. It was a very easy installation (did it myself). I'm running Wilwood H pads, front and rear, and love the feel. I'm able to take the car much deeper into the braking zone before bringing the car down, and even after a long session, I'm not cooking the fluid or getting any fading.

Best money I've ever spent on an upgrade for a car. My decision was to do this before any mods that would add power to the car. What good is more power if you can't stop when you really need to? My $.02.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:21 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I havn't found anything that matches the PF01's.
they are streetable too.

the carbotech's wear out too fast.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:44 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by larryfs
I havn't found anything that matches the PF01's.
they are streetable too.

the carbotech's wear out too fast.
Amen to that Brother. I sold two sets of 01 pads this morning, on a C4/C5/C6 the PFC '01' is the only way to fly

That is why we stock them.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Switching from HP+ to EBC yellow for the first time next weekend (on 710s). I'll let you know what I think.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Where can I get PFC 01's are these it?

Chevrolet Year: 2003 Part Number: PFB073120

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads for track days

Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
Switching from HP+ to EBC yellow for the first time next weekend (on 710s). I'll let you know what I think.
They're junk.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1823124
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not sure why no one has mentioned the Hawk DTC-70's they are a great pad and rival the PFC 01's for less money. Ask Raftracer what he was running on his car at NASA nationals.

My only complaint about the DTC-70's is that they wear quicker than the Wilwood H's. IMHO it's a toss up between the Wilwood H's long life (and good stopping power) to the DTC-70's great stopping power (and shorter life.

I think the PFC 01's are a good pad, I tried a set on my C4 at Road America but I felt that they did the same as the DTC-70's but costed more.

Just giving you some other options, this thread makes it seem like the PFC 01 is all that's out there. But you can't go wrong with any of those pads. If you have the opportunity try a set of each (over the next 3 pad changes) and see what works best for you.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Swapping to the DTC-70's next myself.

Quick Reply: Brake pads for track days