Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use different brand pads on the same rotors?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 AM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I use different brand pads on the same rotors?

I have been using stock C5 Z06 pads and would like to move to the XP10/XP8 combo. My existing rotors are still good, so can I drop the new pads in and just break them in? Or is there a problem since there is a different pad material on the rotor already? Do I need to swap the rotors too when I go to the Carbotechs (then I would hev new pads and new rotors... not good, right?).

Also, is the XP10/8 combo enough pad for Toyo RA1s?

Thanks,

cj
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure. After a stop or two, the new pad material will "bond" to the rotor (be it used or new) and be just fine. Make sure to bed the pads in really well (instructions in the box) with some hard stops and it'll be just fine. And yes, the Carbos work well with with ANY tire... Over the past 10 years, I've tried just about every compound Carbotech makes and over 20 tire types (both racing and street) and never had any issues. You'll love 'em!!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cj68
I have been using stock C5 Z06 pads and would like to move to the XP10/XP8 combo. My existing rotors are still good, so can I drop the new pads in and just break them in? Or is there a problem since there is a different pad material on the rotor already? Do I need to swap the rotors too when I go to the Carbotechs (then I would hev new pads and new rotors... not good, right?).

Also, is the XP10/8 combo enough pad for Toyo RA1s?

Thanks,

cj
Most pad manufacturers I've spoken with recommend a LIGHT sanding and washing the rotors with soap and water, then bed the new pads.

YMMV

Paul

Last edited by Poppy's Vette; 09-14-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:13 PM
cj68
Pro

Thanks for the replies. I am going to order the Carbotechs in a few minutes.

cj
Old 09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I use Carbo 10/8 combo with Nitto 555rII on track ... similar to RA1's ... I think they're a good match.
Change to Hawk HP+ for autox ... I just use a little brake cleaner and fine steel wool to clean the rotors a bit as I change back and forth and then do the re-bed as suggested above.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
I just use a little brake cleaner and fine steel wool to clean the rotors a bit as I change back and forth and then do the re-bed as suggested above.
Do as you will, but you're really just wasting your time doing that. The last thing you want is a "clean" rotor. You want the material (any good material) on the rotor. One or two good stops and the brakes will be "matched" to the rotors again and the stopping material transferred too.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Swapping from various pad manufacturers is something that you need to verify with the pad manufacturers.

I know PFCs WILL NOT work after a rotor has been used with Mintex pads, and I know that Mintex pads will NOT work after a Ferodo pad has been used.

But the answer to your question is pad specific. Stock probably no problem, but once you start mixing pads, it gets more complicated.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Do as you will, but you're really just wasting your time doing that. The last thing you want is a "clean" rotor. You want the material (any good material) on the rotor. One or two good stops and the brakes will be "matched" to the rotors again and the stopping material transferred too.
Thanks ... that makes sense ...
Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I switch pads all the time. The only time I ever had a problem was going from Panther Plus rears to XP9's.

I agrree with Chris; I wouldn't bother.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

worst case is they'll shudder.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I use different brand pads on the same rotors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I use different brand pads on the same rotors?