Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me pick a vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default help me pick a vette

I have been getting into autocross this year and want to buy a vette within the next month. I also do an occasional drag race and would like to try road racing, but primarily autocross and weekend cruises. I am trying to decide between a 04 z06, a 06 zo6, or a 08 z51 c6. The c5 zo6 might be the best choice, but I like the newer improvements/interiors of the c6's. The new z06 might be geared a little too tall for autocross. The 08 z51 might be a good compromise although it is a little heavier. I am not afraid to modify my cars a bit with suspension, headers, cams, tuning, etc. Any advice would be appreciated I am having a hard time making a decision .
Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

the C5Z06 is pure and simple, GRUNT. Raw power to get the job done PERIOD.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
the C5Z06 is pure and simple, GRUNT. Raw power to get the job done PERIOD.
True, but if money matters the 04 Z06 is a steal at less the half the price of an 06Z & probably just as good on an autocross course.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had to decide, I knew what to buy...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Right on guys . Its hard to find a negative with the c5 zo6. Its cheaper and just as fast if not faster than the c6's in autocross. I can't wait to get some wide *** tires under me. I've been driving a modified gto and its fun but the tire width is limited to 245 or 255.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

c5 and then you have mod money
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

I'm kinda partial to the C5Z's bang-for-the-buck advantage, too, but the ability to take the top out for crusin' in the '08 Z51 Coupe is a very nice feature you won't have w/ either Z06. Since your focus is more autocross and cruisin', I think the '08 gains a bit of an advantage. If you were leaning more toward road racing, then either Z06 would definitely gain points, perhaps the C5Z if cost were an issue (or if you wanted $$$ left over for mods, as John says)...

Whatever your choice, though, you can't lose!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
asp04
Advanced

Default my choice

If I had the resourses to consider a new z06, and autocrossing was a big consideration, I would by a c6 z51 automatic, decked out with all options available. I would just keep it for the street and occasional HPDE. Then with the savings, I would by a 1990's miata and run in sm2 or I think it is stx. Most courses are not large enough for a corvette to show its capabilities. I am soon to practice what I preach. Having taken 2 new corvettes and run'em hard, blasted the paint off the lower side, and set em up to ride like a 1-ton truck. My next will be a nice car to hotrod around in, enjoying all the bells and whistles, and keeping it nice. As for the miata, I plan to set it up to ride like a go-kart, boost it enough to feel like a vette on the straights, and hammer it with no regrets.
You know, it is awful easy to advise others how to spend their money.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Those are all good ideas. I'm still wavering but I might pull the trigger on this 02 zo6 :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1815465

I figure if I want to autocross and road race, might as well pick the right tool and not compromise. I'll still have my goat for cruising
Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 PM
codysdad
Racer

Default Already modified!

Go with the used LG number 28 It might be 180,000 but you could probably get it for 179,000. Friken awsome car! Check the c-6 sale adds Sorry I had to say it I can't get over the car is for sale.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:17 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I have been getting into autocross this year and want to buy a vette within the next month. I also do an occasional drag race and would like to try road racing, but primarily autocross and weekend cruises. I am trying to decide between a 04 z06, a 06 zo6, or a 08 z51 c6. The c5 zo6 might be the best choice, but I like the newer improvements/interiors of the c6's. The new z06 might be geared a little too tall for autocross. The 08 z51 might be a good compromise although it is a little heavier. I am not afraid to modify my cars a bit with suspension, headers, cams, tuning, etc. Any advice would be appreciated I am having a hard time making a decision .
I think the 08 Z51 is a great car. My big thing about that car is the 8.5'' front wheels. The C5Z has 9.5'' fronts as well as the C6 Z. If you care about classing this is a huge deal. If you don't go buy a set of CCW's and some stickies and go run. The 08' really is a very nice car though. The extra 36 HP is pretty evident.

Good luck. It sounds like whatever you get you'll have a nice car.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

i have an '02 ZO_6 for sale..save money and have a proven car to start with..lg long tubes, x pipe 4 way motons,hardbar camber kit and 5 point harness,carbotech pads,braided lines,,center aluminum plate,kirban shifter,variram..tuned..ready to go.still tagged and street driven...reason?? i'm gonna concentrate on the red car with the big engine
Johnny
oyea,black black and a spoiler
Old 09-20-2007, 11:03 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

That car sounds good, but I'm across the country in california.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

That car sounds good, but I'm across the country in california.
with the money i'll save you .you can fly here and pick it up ,drive it home,, if we take the camber out ,,and have money in the bank..
Johnny
Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Well, I slept in a Holiday Inn Garage last nite and have a few minutes, so here are my free thoughts:
AutoX, Drags, "road racing" ... Open/Exhibition, or Sanctioning Body Competition? The choices would fall into different classes. Do you want to go out for fun, or to compete?
I have been getting into autocross this year and want to buy a vette within the next month.
All will do fine, but to be competitive you'll have to mod within class limits. Suspension settings are usually allowed ... but at compromise of "streetability" on a dual use car.
I also do an occasional drag race
Corvettes at drags usually mean hardened output shafts, diff braces, if run with anything like power mods OR anything like Drag rubber ... again ... mods ... also prolly want diffferent suspension settings from "road racing"
and would like to try road racing,
HPDE events (non-competitive) or Time Trials or W2W competition? Same comments as AutoX, and there's a progression of mods, depending on how hard, how frequently, and how seriously you pursue.
but primarily autocross and weekend cruises.
Any suspension mods for track events will take you away from optimal street settings. Some seek a "compromise" configuration that sacrifices street comfort and track performance.
I am trying to decide between a 04 z06, a 06 zo6, or a 08 z51 c6. The c5 zo6 might be the best choice, but I like the newer improvements/interiors of the c6's. The new z06 might be geared a little too tall for autocross. The 08 z51 might be a good compromise although it is a little heavier.
It comes down to money and objectives.
As for gearing ... true ... C6Z is a bit "taller" ... but in my observation, the challenge is using the power smoothly and maintaining traction at the limits of adhesion. ... again ... if you're competing ... class classification put all in same plane.
I am not afraid to modify my cars a bit with suspension, headers, cams, tuning, etc. Any advice would be appreciated I am having a hard time making a decision .
JMHO ... HTH ...FWIW ... YMMV ... (usual disclaimers )

Get notified of new replies

To help me pick a vette

Quick Reply: help me pick a vette