Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armco and me - the Barber Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Armco and me - the Barber Perspective

It had to happen eventually. I have seen many others do it, stopped a few people from doing it while instructing, saved it a few times when I did it, even did it a few times with no consequence but at the Barber event with Chin Motorsports it was me spinning into the Armco in a bad spot. I ended up lightly tapping the very expensive Armco at Barber on the outside of T13 (at the end of the tunnel). Right up front - I overdrove the car I had at the time. No excuses. I was on the third lap on the first session of Sunday.

I thought I had left "*itching Betty" in the cockpit but I had one in the right seat with me - "oil is still cold", "the tires are still cold", "you hit 4500 rpm in third with cold oil", "you are in 6th gear", "you cannot hit an apex with a steam roller", and other tidbits were coming at me fast and furious. The car had decent XP10s from VIR and Road Atlanta with some very tired Kumhos on front and my last two Hoosier 'SO4s from the "closeout" sale with all 4 tires having many, many heat cycles on them.

With the oil at 144 degrees and with three laps on the tires I thought I was ready to play with the boys. I was wrong. I was in third gear accelerating at about 8/10ths of what I did on Saturday going up the hill into the tunnel. I hit a few little "bumps" and got the rear tires spinning, no problem, normally. This time with the tires, my speed and me not paying attention to what the car was telling me I ended up a sideways at the top of the hill entering the tunnel. Not good, but the situation changed rapidly at that point as I started my first spin. I put both feet in and heard voices in my head "you idiot", "you knew the tires were slick", "you hit the throttle too hard" - the I realized it was in stereo. Jake in the right seat was critiquing my performance at the same time I was thinking "you dumbazz" - by the way the critique lasted the entire event and well into the paddock. The first spin had me nosing straight into the left barrier, I did not like that option so I took the brake off when I hit the wet grass and changed the vector. The second spin had me hitting the left barrier tail first farther down the track and much slower, I still did not like that option so I came off the brake and changed my vector again. On the third spin exit I was sliding into the barrier at about 15-20 mph with a quartering left front hit. I took the brake off again to get my steering back and straightened the car out to mostly parallel the Armco. That is when I tapped the Armco with the car and bounced off a little bit. There was no way you could hear a pin drop since by that time Jake was in full swing. We managed to come to a stop past the flag man for T13 - that was a lot of sliding on the grass. Some my criticize my technique of not keeping "both feet in" but if I had I would have likely totaled my car - and bought some Armco. I never went back on track after I left it in all my spinning either.

In the end I scuffed the tires, put some light rash on the wheels - running GS wheels that stick out a little saved the side my car, of that I am positive - and broke the door skin away from the door structure near the drivers mirror. I was not able to open the door in the pit and did not know what to expect when I crawled out. But other than the door skin being pulled out a little over the front fender it was no evidence I hit the Armco. I was LUCKY. Josh was the hero - he went and got a torx to start taking the fender loose so we could pop the door skin back below the fender. It took him about 5 minutes to get the door functioning. The pit guy came over and asked me if I was the one that hit the wall and I said yes. He asked "where" and I showed him the scuffs on the tires and the mirror. Tony told me it does not count if you have to point out where you hit Armco. Trust me - it got my attention even though I got off light. Replace the 4 flatspotted tires, a good check of the left side suspension, an alignment confirmation, a quick trip to the body shop to glue the door skin back in place and I am golden.

The only other downside to the whole weekend was driving through Atlanta on Friday, in a storm, from 1630 -1900. People diving in front of me when I am pulling the trailer is not a good idea.

The event was great and I had a blast. I was driving the ZO6 and David's 1999 911 on the track. Jake, Josh, David, Dalton, Mark, Laura, Lisa, Tim, Sue, Tom, Tony, Artie, Robert, Bryan, Wayne, Fred and many others were there. Almost too many since I could not get around to see them all. It is a laid back event with good people running it and participating. We stayed at the Treadwell Mansion located in Odenville, AL (and will again in October) - a treat at anytime I might add.

Jake and I both got some more track time at Barber, I only put the 911 sideways twice (old tires - really), the bearings were bad before I drove the car - honest, I had many people offer me their cars on Sunday after mine was trailered up - thanks guys, I saw the entire underside of a 350Z in T3 when he lost a rear wheel on Saturday, ate at Golden Rule BBQ, hung out with a lot of great people, helped some people get faster and more comfortable at Barber. Looking forward to Roebling in two weeks - now I need to get a car ready!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very glad you came through that virtually unscathed..
Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was right behind that incident...figured I wouldn't run the camera the first session, as I was getting warmed up, and driving around the studnet! Too Bad, that would have been some good video! Saw Jeff go round and round, I was kind of in disbelief....thinking, blue vette, how many are there here, and then when I saw all of the markings...anyway, Jeff managed to avoid major damage!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to read that you are fine; cars can be fixed, bodies sometimes cannot.
See you in two weeks at Roebling. C5 XTC
Old 09-18-2007, 05:03 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

My wife is still discussing the surgery needed to remove my "competitive bone" - I consider it optional - she holds a different opinion....
Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
My wife is still discussing the surgery needed to remove my "competitive bone" - I consider it optional - she holds a different opinion....
Oh yah right, former Air Force Officer, a Pilot and WSO, NOT being competitive???? How long have you two been married??

She should be worried the day you decide to give up track'n, and sit in a rocking chair.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad to hear your OK, and the damage was minor. O, by the way, the offer to drive my car at Roebling is being reconsidered. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! JD
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Glad to hear your OK, and the damage was minor. O, by the way, the offer to drive my car at Roebling is being reconsidered. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! JD

Glad you guys are ok.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you escaped without too much carnage! Live and learn.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

God watches out for military people and fools. Some folks have it covered twice. Good write up Jeff. Glad you and the car came through OK. All of us push the bubble at times and sometimes it bites you. It is good news when the bite is just a nibble. See you at RR.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Good write-up !!!

Glad you came thru that incident with very minor damage Jeff.

I luv Barber... very technical... but the track will... BITE !

It's really hard to get the newbe's to use all the track, which you must do @ speed or you will spin.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 AM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Physics is one law you can't beat...nice car handling to avoid buying some Armco for Barber. Of course you were pushing the envelope - contrary to common belief that it is an ABS adjustment, "Comp Mode" is a driver setting; cautious is when you are towing a trailer in the rain between two semis with bad brakes.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

No pics of carnage?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:30 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
No pics of carnage?
No CARNAGE to take a picture of !!!

The damage was hardly visible... looking up close...

after Jeff pointed it out.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
.....to use all the track, which you must do @ speed or you will spin.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
I did use all the track (and the grass....) - if I had been off line it would have been even worse I think...

Originally Posted by CobraB4
pics of carnage?
It is not really visible unless you look down at the door and pull on the mirror...I doubt if there is anyone who has hit armco there with less visible damage...

Originally Posted by AU N Egl
...marriage?
21 glorious years - looks like she would understand I will never change my evil ways...

Originally Posted by JDillion
....by the way, the offer to drive my car at Roebling is being reconsidered.
Geez, that was what I was planning on using to give Butt Ugly the beatdown it so richly deserves ....

Art - whenever you think you beat physics you just did not check your calculation....

Tim - that would be a video to see...but your laughter in the background would be noticable....

I was extremely lucky - I think I may have used up a little more than my share with this one - thanks for the support
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last oct I had an intimate experience with some armco at VIR.

vettes are easy to fix.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Since we're sharing battle scars, here's some green souvenir from VIR a few months ago after a mild armco "kiss" pass Nascar Bend. A few bucks for a new outer lip of the CCW and some elbow grease on the green paint and it's "almost" as good as new. Garage queen no more....

Get notified of new replies

To Armco and me - the Barber Perspective

Old 09-19-2007, 06:05 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Since we're sharing battle scars, here's some green souvenir from VIR a few months ago after a mild armco "kiss" pass Nascar Bend. A few bucks for a new outer lip of the CCW and some elbow grease on the green paint and it's "almost" as good as new. Garage queen no more....

There is only one Queen at your house - and the car is not the one!

My estimate to repair is $200 to bond the door skin back on...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:39 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Jeff, glad it is easily (and cheaply) fixable.

Sucks you had an offspring in the car, to remind you of this for the rest of your life hoewever......
Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Oh yah right, former Air Force Officer, a Pilot and WSO, NOT being competitive???? How long have you two been married??

She should be worried the day you decide to give up track'n, and sit in a rocking chair.

Glad it was minor Jeff..........I can hear Jake's verbiage now
But you know the deal........track long enough, it will happen. Means you should be good for another 10 years w/o incident right?

Quick Reply: Armco and me - the Barber Perspective