Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has Firestone Wide Ovals and auto-x's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 AM
aero_ub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has Firestone Wide Ovals and auto-x's?

I'm just wondering how what pressure you run your tires at normally and then what you found the best for running them when autocrossing?

How do you think they perform for a street tire? I just picked up a set and I think I'm going to run the car this coming weekend. I've never autocrossed before let alone with my '98 vette or these tires.

Thanks for any input
Ken
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Me and a friend in a Z06 autocrossed on them in the local "street tire" class a couple of years ago and liked them. I think we ran between 30 and 35psi at the track. I still run them on the street and set my cold pressure to 30psi. I'm on my 3rd set (one set got stolen) and I think they're good bang for the buck tires.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aero_ub
I'm just wondering how what pressure you run your tires at normally and then what you found the best for running them when autocrossing?

How do you think they perform for a street tire? I just picked up a set and I think I'm going to run the car this coming weekend. I've never autocrossed before let alone with my '98 vette or these tires.

Thanks for any input
Ken
Here is my reply that I also put on LS1Tech:

They are OK for the price, but there are certainly much better choices for auto-x street tires. Falken Azenis RT-615, Bridgestone RE01-R, Yokohama Advan Neovana, and others, are much more popular in the street tire classes.

Compared to race tires, such at Kumho V710 or Hoosier A6, these are all slower but last longer. If you are new to auto-x, stick with what you have got, since sticky rubber will just hide mistakes, mistakes you need to learn from.

If this is your first auto-x, the most important part is to make it through the course and HAVE FUN! You can worry about the best tires to have later.

As far as air pressures, 30 cold sounds too low. Something like 36-37 psi cold front, 32-34 psi cold rear.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default A related story ...

I don't run them, but know a couple with a C5Z06 that do.
I can tell you that they both get all the tires can deliver on an autox ...
Last Sun ... we have several C5Z06's (mine is one ... on stock F1's, two are on Kumho 710's, and this one on WO's ... a bit worn ...
Best time for the two experienced Z06's on race rubber is 53.xxx
BOTH the drivers (married couple) hung a 52.xxx on the WO's !
I'm too embarrased to list my time!
As to tire pressures ... I know he sets them cold so that hot he get to 37-38 front. He works the spread in pressures front-rear based on how the car handles first run ... she runs first heat ... heats the tires ... he runs second heat ... (BTW ... more often than not, SHE beats HIM!)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
QwickerRon
Racer

I've been on the W/Os for a couple of years and have done many low speed at NCCC and SCCA events and a quite a few high speed events at Putnam, Nashville and Roebling. While the W/Os may be a 1/2 second slower than a stickier tire, they wear great and are a good price. It just depends on how much your willing to pay for that 1/2 second. I maintain 36 front and rear when on the track.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

It is hard for me to believe that 2 "experienced" drivers on v710's can get beat by a second by WO's with similar cars, lets say SS and ASP comparissons. Having run my street WO's on a Saturday and my V710's on Sunday on basically the same course (discount the 1.25 or so second slower reversed track on Sunday) the V710's were worth 4-6 seconds per run. IE 54.xx V710's vs 59.9-60.8 on the WO's. Stock z06 sized WO's vs 275/40/17 and 315/35/18 V710's.

Rule of thumb (taught to me by a multiple national champion) is 4-7 seconds for "slicks" vs " street" tires on the same course. This is of course an Auto-X application.

Fej
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I seem to run considerably lower pressure than anybody in my car, and have had great luck with it compared to when I ran high pressures. I like to run 28 rear and 31 front HOT - higher pressure than that yeilds either a lot of push or the rear end stepping out. I run Michelin PS2's by the way...

oh, and unless I can see the car and watch the driver comparing vehicles/drivers by the third person is totally worthless. We recently did an all-corvette auto-x day, and I let my buddy co-drive (he'd never been behind the wheel of my car before) and I came in 5th out of every car there (including full race cars) and he came in abou t25th out of 70some cars. A lot of people think they are whoop-a$$ drivers but really poke around the course like they are driving miss daisie...

Last edited by jbauch357; 09-20-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by fej
It is hard for me to believe that 2 "experienced" drivers on v710's can get beat by a second by WO's with similar cars, lets say SS and ASP comparissons. Having run my street WO's on a Saturday and my V710's on Sunday on basically the same course (discount the 1.25 or so second slower reversed track on Sunday) the V710's were worth 4-6 seconds per run. IE 54.xx V710's vs 59.9-60.8 on the WO's. Stock z06 sized WO's vs 275/40/17 and 315/35/18 V710's.
Rule of thumb (taught to me by a multiple national champion) is 4-7 seconds for "slicks" vs " street" tires on the same course. This is of course an Auto-X application.
Fej
I agree ... point I didn't make very well is that the WO can work as a street tire for AutoX... better when worn down. Both these were getting all the WO had to give ... One day I hope we have time at the end of the day to put these two drivers in cars with track tires and see what they do ...

Get notified of new replies

To Who has Firestone Wide Ovals and auto-x's?

Quick Reply: Who has Firestone Wide Ovals and auto-x's?