Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** Watkins Glen with PDA - Monday & Tuesday **

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default ** Watkins Glen with PDA - Monday & Tuesday **

Just completed two days at the Glen with PDA in the Blue (HPDE 3) Group! The weather was great and the track - simply awesome. This was my first trip to the Glen and my track times averaged 2:15 to 2:17. 1st time using Hoosier R6 tires after using BF Goodridge and Kumho V710 street tires - huge improvement - I'm hooked!! Lots of Corvettes there.

Met a great bunch of drivers and cars there. Definitely worth the 7 hour drive from Fairfax, VA. The town of Watkins Glen has several B&Bs, winery's and Seneca Lake is beautiful. If you like VIR - you will definitely enjoy the Glen. I should have a video or two that I'll post this Saturday. Looking forward to going back next year. Mike

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 09-24-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Mike--
I told you that you would love the Glen - It's as nice a track as VIR but with better surroundings and attractions. It's a definite every year for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be there this coming Monday & Tuesday with a Porsche club from NJ, really looking forward to it!

Small bonus for me....it's just a 5 hour drive to get there!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Hi Mike--
I told you that you would love the Glen - It's as nice a track as VIR but with better surroundings and attractions. It's a definite every year for me.
Curtis - lets coordinate our 2008 trip and see if we can get a NOVA/MD/DC group to convoy there together I'm checking into Phoenix, CMR Inc. (Joe Quaranto 585-638-6653) since they have really good prices - approx. $390 for two days. Its a Mustang club (SVTOA).

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 09-19-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Silent E
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Hey, I met you! Nice to meet someone in the metro area. I had the vette in Washington DC for about 3 years (Adams Morgan) I'm mostly in Detroit/NYC now.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Good seeing the ECS gang there.

Here's a video clip of my 2:14 minute lap - 1st time at a great track and I'll be back!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Curtis - lets coordinate our 2008 trip and see if we can get a NOVA/MD/DC group to convoy there together I'm checking into Phoenix, CMR Inc. (Joe Quaranto 585-638-6653) since they have really good prices - approx. $390 for two days. Its a Mustang club (SVTOA).
I want to do the Glen again next year.
I did the August event with Phoenix CMR (Blue group, OK'd for solo) and would go back again with them
Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Good seeing the ECS gang there.

Here's a video clip of my 2:14 minute lap - 1st time at a great track and I'll be back!

Sorry I missed you Mike, looks like you met up with the rest of the gang tho.

I was out in Vegas racing the Silver State Classic, that was one hell of a time!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there for Tuesday...weather was great, but I was sick as a DOG. When the motors started, I shoved a tissue up my nose, strapped in and sucked it up! I didn't want to take any medication while driving on the track, so I was in between fever and chills and trying to rest in between sessions. Not optimal for driving a C6Z06 at Watkins Glen, so I took it very easy and just tried to have fun.

The drive home was the worst...4.5 hours towing 5500lbs while choking on my own flem (sorry for the visual).

So, the final verdict, was it worth it? HELL YEAH!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt is that you behind a Ferrari?

I drove 14 hr to VIR one way and never finished a session because I was ready to

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-22-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I was there fighting a vibration issue. I think now I figured it out and have to replace the front drivers side hub and ball joints on both sides. It kept my speeds down, but I still managed to have fun (oh and got to visit the pebbles in the chicane )

Old 09-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Had fun running with one of the new orange Lotus Exige Cup cars in my group. The owner (Nick) was a good driver with a fast car driving on his home track - nice guy. He said he was surprised that a Corvette was consistently faster than him through the esses, chicanes and turns - made the track event much more fun! Looking forward to running with him again at VIR in November with Chin Motorsports. The track walk and classroom instruction was very helpful. Walking the track with the senior instructor made a significant improvement in my lap times that afternoon.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 09-22-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:30 AM
blami
3rd Gear

Those are respectable lap times, especially for your first time there.

I was wondering, how modified is your car, besides the track tires that you mention?

BTW: I was also there, instructing and running in the black group. I drove the black Caterham Super 7. I'm considering purchasing a new 2008 C6 and was interested in how well I can expect it to preform on track, in stock form (z51 suspension).

thanks,

Bart
Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Bart - I saw your black Super 7 there in the garage and on the track and heard from others in your group that you were among the fastest there - I'm sure you surprised a lot of guys with that little car.

I have a 383 stroker in my C5 with T1 springs. You'll really enjoy the new Z06 on the track with the Z51 suspension and won't need to add much if anything to make it perform well on a road course. Good luck! Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
but I still managed to have fun (oh and got to visit the pebbles in the chicane )
By chicane do you mean the bus stop/inner loop? Just hadn't heard of it referred to that way previously if you do mean that.

Bill
Old 09-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
By chicane do you mean the bus stop/inner loop? Just hadn't heard of it referred to that way previously if you do mean that.

Bill
yes the Bus Stop/inner loop/chicane - the thing at the end of the back straight .

Anyway came in with too much angle over the rumble strips which sent the backend around. I corrected, but just enough to get it straight and then into the pebble field.

I have been fighting a vibration all day and I guess I let it get the best of me. I am replacing drivers hub, replacing ball joints, checking tie rod ends and sending wheels out to be balanced again. I think it is one of those.

Get notified of new replies

To ** Watkins Glen with PDA - Monday & Tuesday **

Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blami
Those are respectable lap times, especially for your first time there.

I was wondering, how modified is your car, besides the track tires that you mention?

BTW: I was also there, instructing and running in the black group. I drove the black Caterham Super 7. I'm considering purchasing a new 2008 C6 and was interested in how well I can expect it to preform on track, in stock form (z51 suspension).

thanks,

Bart
Bart -

I ran several 2.13's in my nearly stock C6 Z06. I got rid of the runflats in favor of PS2's (345/30/19 & 295/35/18), I have stainless lines and run with Motul fluid. I also constructed some duct work to the front brakes hoping to make rotors last longer. Instead I got better, more consistant braking - rotors still look like hell though. Last Weds/Thurs was also my first visit to the Glen. Had a huge fun time and will be back as its a Corvette track for sure.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
yes the Bus Stop/inner loop/chicane - the thing at the end of the back straight .

Anyway came in with too much angle over the rumble strips which sent the backend around. I corrected, but just enough to get it straight and then into the pebble field.

I have been fighting a vibration all day and I guess I let it get the best of me. I am replacing drivers hub, replacing ball joints, checking tie rod ends and sending wheels out to be balanced again. I think it is one of those.

The bus stop would be MASSIVELY ENTERTAINING with a bit of down force wouldn't it?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by whosurdaddy
The bus stop would be MASSIVELY ENTERTAINING with a bit of down force wouldn't it?
I agree - the uphill esses, bus stop and the "toe" of the boot were my favorite sections.

Quick Reply: ** Watkins Glen with PDA - Monday & Tuesday **