Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have tires I could borrow or rent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone have tires I could borrow or rent?

I'd like to do a PDA day @ Pocono next weekend 9/30 but I don't have tires that can hold my power. Right now on the street I'm running stock Z06 F1 SC's on stock rims and they spin pretty easy in 3rd gear at my power level of 700hp/600tq. Running them at Pocono would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to go WOT. I don't have the funds right now to spring for a full set of tires so I was hoping someone close by has a set of sticky tires that I could borrow or even rent for the day.

I would be very greatful and would put very little wear on them, I'm still new to this sport and I've only ever done one other road course before which was the Shenandoah Circut and in a totally different car. Mostly I just want to get a feel for the car and how it handles on a road course.

I have a drag pack that I would be more the willing to swap if the person want to try their hand @ drag racing sometime...

TIA
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
I'd like to do a PDA day @ Pocono next weekend 9/30 but I don't have tires that can hold my power. Right now on the street I'm running stock Z06 F1 SC's on stock rims and they spin pretty easy in 3rd gear at my power level of 700hp/600tq. Running them at Pocono would be pointless because I wouldn't be able to go WOT.
No offense but running on your street tires would be better. Too much HP puts ppl into walls. Learn to drive smooth, consistent and safe lines is far more important then going fast.

Speed comes with knowledge ( seat time) and smooth consistent ( seat time) safe driving ( more seat time). So just go drive and have fun.

and I would be more concerned about your brakes.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Default No offense taken

Thanks for the advise. I think running on regular street tires would be more dangerous because with them the rear of the car will snap around w/o any warning. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to safely go WOT in any gear, what fun would that be?

I have dimpled/slotted rotors and SS lines installed plus I'll do a fluid flush before hand. Since I don't plan on pushing the car hard into the corners I'm not worried about my brakes that much, they work well. I just want to be able to get a feel for the car on the straights and in the corners safely w/o having to worry too much about breaking traction.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Surely you are joking ... right???

Why would anyone want to "loan" you a $2,000 set of tires to go to the track and use? That is really a stretch

Wait until you can afford the tires or drive in 4th gear and learn how to control the car and you right foot for smooth inputs as Tom has suggested. Going fast down the straight (WOT) won't get you squat (either will the 700 Hp on the whole track) ... save that for your "drag racing" stuff. A stock Z06 can run VIR in 4th with impressive lap times (Jody (Falcon) proved it) ... 2:12-15's.

BTW: Can we occasionally borrow your car for a few days to run at the track ... We'll put very little use on it: lol:

Old 09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
No offense but running on your street tires would be better. Too much HP puts ppl into walls. Learn to drive smooth, consistent and safe lines is far more important then going fast.

Speed comes with knowledge ( seat time) and smooth consistent ( seat time) safe driving ( more seat time). So just go drive and have fun.

A boosted car at those power levels on a road course can be dangerous, regardless of tires.

Based on the hp/torque numbers I'd guess the torque curve is a steep hill rather than flat. What can happen when hammering down a straight in 3rd or even 4th gear is that everything will feel fine as the car accelerates, then as you get into the boost the tires will break loose, and as they break loose the RPM's will further increase, which will make even more torque (in a digital way), spinning the tires even faster, and it will be difficult to keep the car pointed forward. If you panic and lift the throttle, that can make matters even worse...

Whatever you do be careful...

Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
I think running on regular street tires would be more dangerous because with them the rear of the car will snap around w/o any warning. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to safely go WOT in any gear, what fun would that be?
1. Grippier tires will give you even less warning, and regardless of the tire you use, you *will* be able to get into situations where they lose grip.
2. If you want to go WOT, then just bump up a gear. Besides, tracking a car is all about balancing accelerating, braking, turning, and accelerating again.
3. You're going to rapidly get into heating problems with your SC and that much power, so again you need to do something to keep the animal under control.

Basically, the advice you're going to get here is to take it easy on the track. Not being able to go WOT is nothing near the issue of having to drag your car home behind a wrecker, and none of us want that!

I say go, have fun, and expect to be slow. Keep an eye on the engine temps (coolant and oil), and keep your car underneath you.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Oh, and you might consider letting an instructor take the driver's seat for a couple of laps in the beginning to get a feel for the car.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:02 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

I think he will have base C6's blowing past him no matter what tires he uses. If he can't learn to control it with street tires, then it won't be any better with race compounds. 700hp will spin any tire, learn to control it with streets, then graduate to R's.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:04 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
What can happen when hammering down a straight in 3rd or even 4th gear is that everything will feel fine as the car accelerates, then as you get into the boost the tires will break loose, and as they break loose the RPM's will further increase, which will make even more torque (in a digital way), spinning the tires even faster, and it will be difficult to keep the car pointed forward. If you panic and lift the throttle, that can make matters even worse...
USE COMPETETIVE DRIVING MODE! It's perfect for this situation.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbl
Surely you are joking ... right???

Can we occasionally borrow your car for a few days to run at the track ... We'll put very little use on it: lol:

how does paying to use a set of tires for a few miles = borrowing a car for a couple of days get real dude.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:42 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Default this is a little off topic

If I wanted peoples opinions on what tire to run I would have named this thread "what tire should I use on the track". but thats not the case.

I'm looking to rent or borrow someones tires.

I'm not trying to break records and find the limit of my car, all I want to do it have a good time and be safe. I've offered my drag pack up for free use plenty of times and didn't think it was a big deal. I figured others who road race wouldn't have an issue either. If you don't have any input on the topic at hand then please send me your OPINION via email or PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Would you loan someone a set of drag tires *expecting* them to be corded by the end of the day? Because that's what you're probably going to do.

It's kinda like that scene in Clear and Present Danger:

"Can I rent your helicopter?"
"Certainly sir: that'll be two million dollars."

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Bman
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

The advise your getting regarding running street tires is VERY good.

The street tires will give you plenty of warning before letting go, R's will not. Streets are much much easier to correct. I don't know your skill level but the R's will not control your power use your right foot for that. I would recommend you go out on the street tires have fun then do it a bunch more then get serious.. Whatever you do enjoy it!!
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Would you loan someone a set of drag tires *expecting* them to be corded by the end of the day? Because that's what you're probably going to do.

It's kinda like that scene in Clear and Present Danger:

"Can I rent your helicopter?"
"Certainly sir: that'll be two million dollars."

Have a good one,
Mike
that analogy is flawed because I'm not looking to wreck anyones car, or helicopter as your analogy put its.

If someone wanted to use my drag only rims & tires I wouldn't have a problem with it. As I've said already I have offered them up a couple of times, free of charge. I'm not even asking that someone give me their tires, I'm asking to rent or borrow them.

I guarantee you they would not be returning with the cords showing unless they were given to me that way. I've already said I want to be safe and have fun, running this car with this much power is neither on street tires. Thats why when I go to the track I put on slicks, so I can put the power to the ground safely and have fun at the same time. Spinning tires in a straight line isn't fun for me. neither is driving around a road corse @ 1/4 throttle because I have 220 treadwear tires on.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bman
The advise your getting regarding running street tires is VERY good.

The street tires will give you plenty of warning before letting go, R's will not. Streets are much much easier to correct. I don't know your skill level but the R's will not control your power use your right foot for that. I would recommend you go out on the street tires have fun then do it a bunch more then get serious.. Whatever you do enjoy it!!
Don't take this the wrong way because its not meant like that but advise is not what I'm looking for. As I said earlier if I wanted to know what type of tires to run I would have made a thread with a different title. This one however is "Anyone have some tires I can borrow or rent".

Again, lets stay on topic please.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Bman
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

No worries, I was just trying to help..
Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Racer-38
Racer

nobody is gonna "rent" you tires
but here is an idea....
go to any scca event that has T1 corvettes running, go to the tire vendors (hoosier, goodyear, etc) and ask for the sets of used tires that competitors discarded. When i raced T1, i would go thru 1 set/weekend and leave the old ones w/the tire company. Guys from the corvette club in Atlanta would pick them up and use them at track events. some guys would get 3 more EVENTS out of a set of tires.
you can find an scca race near you at scca.org
Now if you are near Topeka, next month is the runoffs>>>>you could bring home enough tires for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have tires I could borrow or rent?

Old 09-20-2007, 04:00 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by robvuk
USE COMPETETIVE DRIVING MODE! It's perfect for this situation.
Even that might not save your behind.
1. The custom tune that goes with the boosted engine may have disabled torque limiting.
2. Even if enabled, I have seen the PCM freak out under highly boosted conditions since it cannot limit that amount of torque in a manageable way.

Now what can really help is a 2x4 block of wood under the accelerator pedal....

Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for adding a chuckle to my day, borrowing tires, honest I won't put any wear on them!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with this one. Congrats on having a fast car.

Quick Reply: Anyone have tires I could borrow or rent?