Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM strike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM strike

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070924/auto_talks.html?.v=35

Not good for anyone.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

The logic of walking off your job to "secure job security" somehow escapes me.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will touch everyone in the GM food chain...

GM does not have tremendous reserves of cash either...
Old 09-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I hate to say it but Union leadership has never been accused of being smart much less the lemmings that follow them. GM is the largest healthcare provider in the country and these guys still cry.
They would cut off their nose to spite their face.

Bob
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

glad I found my 07' Yukon last month....doesn't look like they'll be any 08 3/4tons on the lots soon.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I can't see this strike lasting too long. The workers will have bills to pay and GM apparently has only a two month supply of stock for most brands/models.

It never ceases to amaze me that relatively unskilled workers who earn over $27 per hour and skilled workers making over $32 per hour want more. I really have no sympathy for the union side of things because of the money the workers make and I really can't understand why GM executives get tons of money but overall sales and corporate reputations suffer.

Maybe it's time for the UAW to come to their senses and GM to spend their money on product improvement.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at Ford after they bought out all the unskilled workers. They were and still are having huge problems replacing the unskilled workers.

Problem is there are about 340,00 retiree's & family and the GM workforce is 20% of what it was in 1970, due to lost market share and automation. Also could anyone forsee healthcare rising at double digits in 1970's? They both need to survive on a good deal for both but it is real hard to see the other guys plight I guess.

The union's choice is protect the members now which which may make their membership shrink even further if they are not more competitive.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-25-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

I haven't looked at the newspaper business page yet, but last night on the news (radio), they said that GM stock went up yesterday, citing Wall Street's hopes that GM will hold firm on cost cutting. It'll be interesting to see how this all progresses.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69427
I haven't looked at the newspaper business page yet, but last night on the news (radio), they said that GM stock went up yesterday, citing Wall Street's hopes that GM will hold firm on cost cutting. It'll be interesting to see how this all progresses.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/bu...C9pS4dOclvL0yQ

always good reading here about the auto industry all the time http://detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
Old 09-25-2007, 03:58 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

GM made a deal with the Union and at the last minute reneged.

The Union then said to strike.

Also anyone that was told they need to give $5.00 an hour back would fight also. Regardless of how much you make.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Also anyone that was told they need to give $5.00 an hour back would fight also. Regardless of how much you make.

From what I read yesterday, the strike wasn't about wages, wage cuts or medical benefits, it was because GM refused to assure the union that they (GM) wouldn't guarantee jobs in the future.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM
johninar
Drifting

Many professions have required some sort of sacrifice. Union workers are not any different. It's not always wage concessions. I used to work for one of the largest tech companies in the world. They did, and continue to force greater productivity and work from their employees. To remain competitive, they try to drive costs out of the product any way possible. Be it fewer people doing more work, or longer hours etc.
You could equate that with a "wage cut".

The union wants job "guarantees". That is a joke. The only guarantee there is, is change.

If you think GM has pressure now, wait 5 years when the Chinese auto industry gets a foothold here.

"We aint seen nothing yet"
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I have been dealt paycuts, pay freezes, medical coverage decreases and retirment plan cutbacks. It is unfortunately part of the business world we live in. Every time it happens I have the option to move on or stay. GM and everyone else is in business to make money. Where I work now went from 27,000 people to less than 10,000 since 1990. We had to fit the current world - not the old Cold War one. The downsizing and benefit slashing really sucked by the way...and I have no job guarantee still...

I lived in Gadsden Alabama when the unions shut down the Republic Steel plant there since "unskilled and semi-skilled labor" was having their pay froze ($15 in 1978/79 I believe). The plant is now a semi-clean superfund site now. No idea where the workers are - Walmart maybe....
Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

And they wonder why the manufacturing jobs move out of this country. "We will shut down these evil corporations"..."Hey, why is unemployment so high here?" Hey UAW...take aim at your foot and fire

Bob
Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Just my opinion that I'm sure will get flamed but.....
Unions are killing America. For the non-believers, Why do you think all of the large corporations have been running to the south for years? Answer; Non-Union labor. Unfortunately some companies ran so far south that they left America.
If not for the outrageous demands of the overpaid unions the "Big 3" would not have gotten hammered by the Japanese in the 70's & 80's. Lets face American cars at that time were of poor quality while labor rates & benefits were high. The door was left wide open. Now its going to happen again only this time it will be cars from China.
Unions while at one point, like in the early 1900's were necessary, have long outlived there usefulness in America.
Flame away if you have to.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Carolina C4 Racer
Just my opinion that I'm sure will get flamed but.....
Unions are killing America. For the non-believers, Why do you think all of the large corporations have been running to the south for years? Answer; Non-Union labor. Unfortunately some companies ran so far south that they left America.
If not for the outrageous demands of the overpaid unions the "Big 3" would not have gotten hammered by the Japanese in the 70's & 80's. Lets face American cars at that time were of poor quality while labor rates & benefits were high. The door was left wide open. Now its going to happen again only this time it will be cars from China.
Unions while at one point, like in the early 1900's were necessary, have long outlived there usefulness in America.
Flame away if you have to.

so the American worker should be paid what to compete with China or Korea?

Seems most want everything cheap till it's their job that goes.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-25-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
so the American worker should be paid what to compete with China or Korea?

Seems most want everything cheap till it's their job that goes.

An American worker doing the same job getting paid more impacts how much it costs. When you are talking basically unskilled labor it will eventually come down to what the market will bear. The product you make has to be marketable at more than the price to produce.

Makes me frustrated with the education system - without skills you cannot (and should not) earn high income - stay in school, learn a trade or be born into the lucky gene pool - I should have gone into plumbing...I would have more money now...

Get notified of new replies

To GM strike

Old 09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by varkwso
An American worker doing the same job getting paid more impacts how much it costs. When you are talking basically unskilled labor it will eventually come down to what the market will bear. The product you make has to be marketable at more than the price to produce.

Makes me frustrated with the education system - without skills you cannot (and should not) earn high income - stay in school, learn a trade or be born into the lucky gene pool - I should have gone into plumbing...I would have more money now...
Is a plumber not skilled? Are the UAW members unskilled? Not sure I understand all of wat you mean. Their are plenty of people with mega dollar educations walking the streets.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Is a plumber not skilled? Are the UAW members unskilled? Not sure I understand all of wat you mean. Their are plenty of people with mega dollar educations walking the streets.
What are their "mega dollar" educations in? I could spend a gazillion dollars on a phd in the mating habits of the African Fruit Fly but that doesn't guarantee me a decent income. No education guarantees any certain income.

UAW members for the most part are mindless lemmings. I lived in Flint Mi during one of their strikes. The rhetoric was mind boggling and inspired absolutely no sympathy. What does the union leadership care if their members lose their homes or their cars or have to file for bankruptcy? They don't! All they care is that the members pay their dues so the leadership can get their checks. The Union heirarchy will get paid regardless.

The times have changed since unions were needed but their rhetoric hasn't. They will be the main reason for the demise of the remaining manufacturing jobs in this country.

OK, climbing off the soap box now
Bob
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great no head gaskets for me Only time will tell when this crap is over Strikes are funny too me, the big three employes need to fight hard for years and years to gain the back the market.

Randy

Quick Reply: GM strike