Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIDEO from Watkins Glen HPDE Event

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 PM
TryNkeepUp
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default VIDEO from Watkins Glen HPDE Event

Thought I'd share a video from last weekend.........me and three friends at WGI.......

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7...b50007820e.htm
Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Watkins Glen - not for the tame hearted...

Doubt I'll ever have the gutz to give it a go, there is TOO much ARMCO.

Nice video!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
Watkins Glen - not for the tame hearted...

Doubt I'll ever have the gutz to give it a go, there is TOO much ARMCO.

Nice video!
Actually very few get into the ARMCO. There is a fair amount of runoff room on the critical corners so you don't have to worry about them. Turn 1 has a whole bunch of pavement for the runoff area, Turn 5 you have runoff area by blowing through on the old straight or in the dirt to the outside of the turn. The carousel portion of Turn 5 has plenty of runoff room to the outside and a very wide track in that part (as evidenced in the videos by all the cars taking multiple lines through the corner). Turn 7 has runoff room also as does Turns 8, 9, 10 and 11. As for the other places the ARMCO does what it was intended to do which is to keep your car contained within the track Vs getting sideways in the dirt and flipping. Better a little crunched front and rear than crunched on top.

I will be spending two days there this weekend and the weather is going to be great.

Bill
Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by TryNkeepUp
Thought I'd share a video from last weekend.........me and three friends at WGI.......

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7...b50007820e.htm
One suggestion for your next track session. Turn on your camcorder clock. That way you can watch your lap times from one lap to the next and see which lines hurt you or helped you.

Bill
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there in the yellow C6Z06. WG is surely a wonderful and scary track. The armco is VERY close especially through the esses, which I think is the most dangerous part of the track. You are just going so fast through them that any problem that could unsettle your car could turn into a disaster quickly. I had a friend who crushed the front of his new M3 because he just pushed it a little to far and started sliding. Once your sliding sideways at 120mph, there is not much you can do! After doing the Glen now for 6+ years, I have come to the realization that I no longer need to "conquer" the track or pass everything in sight simply because the car or I may be capable. So while I use to go through the esses at 120mph, hitting 155+ before the bus stop, I have simply chilled out at that particular section of the track, and now just hold a steady 95-100mph and about 145 before the bus stop. Also, they paved that section of the track recently with some shiny looking asphalt and it is slightly bumpy. It's a little un-nerving transitioning from 3 different types of road material at that speed (old pavement, new pavement, and concrete) all at 100mph+. The second scariest place for me is the last turn onto the main strait...no room for error and you are MOVING, so again I tone it down to 7/10th just for that corner.

Man, I am definately getting older! I would have never written this 5 years ago!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice video!

I just ran there for the first time on the 24/25th with the NNJR Porsche club. Great event, awesome track, I agree it is not the best track for beginners but after 25 track days I was comfortable enough with it, although that Blue Armco is somewhat intimidating.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 PM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there on 9-17. Great track. What group were you in? I'm far from an expert... your lines looked good but most of the others looked like it was don't hit the apex day.

Last edited by RickF; 09-27-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
One suggestion for your next track session. Turn on your camcorder clock. That way you can watch your lap times from one lap to the next and see which lines hurt you or helped you.

Bill
that's a idea.
Now that I have a camera mount I'll have to start doing that.

Get notified of new replies

To VIDEO from Watkins Glen HPDE Event

Quick Reply: VIDEO from Watkins Glen HPDE Event