Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dario Franchitti released from AGR

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dario Franchitti released from AGR

It looks like Franchitti is definitely going to race in NASCAR with Chip Ganassi next season.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/40705/

What is this world coming to? Everyone's going to NASCAR and the OW drivers that aren't are ending up on shows like Dancing With The Stars.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:25 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

$,$$$,$$$
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

What kind OW racing did Dario (Mr. Ashley Judd?) come from? Was it IRL or the other one, whatever that is called these days that drives spec Panoz's (or is that Panozies)? Spec NASCRAP cars, cheating in F1 with grooved tires and limited engines, geez, what's a fan to do?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
$,$$$,$$$
I dunno if it's that simple. Last IRL race I went to saw Kenny Brack go into the turn 3 catch fence at TMS (they found the gearbox in the stands there, thank heavens those seats weren't sold), and Franchitti just did a couple of end-o's back to back this season.

OW racing on high-banked oval tracks is exciting, but also frightening to watch. If KB's car had rotated 90 degrees before it hit the fence it would have decapitated him.

And, we don't need to be bad-mouthing NASCAR; what we need to do is push for getting them on the road courses! At least two more per year.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
What kind OW racing did Dario (Mr. Ashley Judd?) come from? Was it IRL or the other one, whatever that is called these days that drives spec Panoz's (or is that Panozies)? Spec NASCRAP cars, cheating in F1 with grooved tires and limited engines, geez, what's a fan to do?
Franchitti ran CART from '97 (?) until AGR went to IRL in '03. Dario tied Montoya for the points total in '99 but lost the championship on the tie breaker (most wins).

VetteDrmr has a point. Supposedly Dario's two airborne incidents this year was a factor, and I'm sure that AGR throwing him under the bus after the Sonoma incident with Marco didn't help.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

That's how I feel. I'm still mourning the loss of CART. Most of the former CART drivers are now in the IRL or headed to NASCAR.

It's strange to me that the IRL is now headed towards what CART used to be with the mix of road courses, street circuits and ovals. If it didn't work for CART, how does Tony George expect it to work for the IRL? Even though the IRL is now mirroring CART in it's heydey, it's still not the same for some reason. Maybe it's because of my hatred towards Tony George and not wanting to support anything that he does?

What's the deal with World Challenge? I haven't seen a race on tv in a while. Did Speed stop televising it or are they on a hiatus?

The ALMS isn't going to be worth a crap until they can get some more competition in the GT1 and P1 class. They can't have just one manufacturer running against each other like that. Either get some more competition or kill the class and just run P2 and GT2.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
What's the deal with World Challenge? I haven't seen a race on tv in a while. Did Speed stop televising it or are they on a hiatus?
They race this weekend at Road Atlanta in support of the Petit LeMans and are on TV next weekend
Old 10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoia
They race this weekend at Road Atlanta in support of the Petit LeMans and are on TV next weekend
I figured Joe would know this and let us know!!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

He was just on ESPN2 with Chip Gannasi making his switch to NASCAR official.

Debuts Friday in the #40 car.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
He was just on ESPN2 with Chip Gannasi making his switch to NASCAR official.

Debuts Friday in the #40 car.
I heard that they were having the news conference today. So, who does he replace? I would guess Stremme because I believe that he was the #40.

I wonder how JPM will handle having Dario as a teammate and vice-verse. As you may recall, Dario and JPM battled for the CART championship in 1999 and JPM won out on a tie breaker by having more season wins.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

someone will be happy as a new seat will open up.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

......(Mr. Ashley Judd?).......?
Gee Gary you make that sound like a bad thing. Imagine this horrible nightmare. You dream you are stuck in bed with Ashley, regularly Then after having to do all that stuff with her you find out she's rich. Bummer. Then when you leave the house they make you race cars. And it doesn't really matter if you make a lot of money. Did we mention your wife is hot and rich. Then you wake up and realize it is true

Ok, so I'm kidding. I love my wife dearly and she tolerates my car/track antics and still loves me. But the above ain't that bad a deal.

Mike. I would agree with you on the issue of those cars and the safety at the speeds they run and the tracks they run. That has to weigh in on things. But the NASCAR thing is too lucrative a money deal. Unless he doesn't really mind be Mr. Ashley Judd and being a kept man
Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Hard to believe that Dario was released because of a couple of race incidents. He won the 500 and the Series Championship. Those credentials attract sponsor $$.

On the other hand, I could see Michael building his team around Marco. I am assuming he is still a media sweetheart.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gee Gary you make that sound like a bad thing. Imagine this horrible nightmare. You dream you are stuck in bed with Ashley, regularly Then after having to do all that stuff with her you find out she's rich. Bummer. Then when you leave the house they make you race cars. And it doesn't really matter if you make a lot of money. Did we mention your wife is hot and rich. Then you wake up and realize it is true

Ok, so I'm kidding. I love my wife dearly and she tolerates my car/track antics and still loves me. But the above ain't that bad a deal.

Mike. I would agree with you on the issue of those cars and the safety at the speeds they run and the tracks they run. That has to weigh in on things. But the NASCAR thing is too lucrative a money deal. Unless he doesn't really mind be Mr. Ashley Judd and being a kept man

To good of a life to risk getting killed. I would stay home
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chalky
Hard to believe that Dario was released because of a couple of race incidents. He won the 500 and the Series Championship. Those credentials attract sponsor $$.

On the other hand, I could see Michael building his team around Marco. I am assuming he is still a media sweetheart.
I don't think that he was released because of that. I think that AGR released him because he wasn't going to sign another contract with AGR and there wasn't any point to keep him under contract until the end of the year. They released him, so he could go and sign with someone else. At least they weren't being d*cks about it like when Ron Dennis wouldn't release JPM, so he could go and practice with Ganassi in NASCAR.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by John Shiels
To good of a life to risk getting killed. I would stay home
HER: Loves cars, talented, rich, babe
HIM: Loves cars, talented, rich, man-babe

Heck I'd go and live with both of them given the chance NO NO not THAT way

(PS and totally OT, but Graham did you ever get a harness/roll bar?)
Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey, I fell in love with Ashley back in Star Trek, Next Generation. Obviously, I was being a little bit green with envy, but I have a great wife too! She drives my C6Z to work once in a while, (and comments on the Penske coil overs being "nice") is that love or what?

Last edited by ghoffman; 10-04-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dario Franchitti released from AGR

Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ashley Judd was in Star Tek: TNG?? What character? I guess I really snoozed on that one....

DaveZ.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I don't think that he was released because of that. I think that AGR released him because he wasn't going to sign another contract with AGR and there wasn't any point to keep him under contract until the end of the year. They released him, so he could go and sign with someone else. At least they weren't being d*cks about it like when Ron Dennis wouldn't release JPM, so he could go and practice with Ganassi in NASCAR.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Gary - I just had to call you on that one. It was too easy. I'm green with envy too! If I'm going to fall for a Star Trek girl it's either Ashley or Jeri.

Anita - No roll bar. Can't find one that I can be assured will pass an SCCA tech. I've about given up on the idea and will just continue to use my RD-Racing harness bar with race seat and harnesses.

Now rumor has it that there is some smart ex-NASA engineer on here that builds really good quality stuff and very safety conscious. If we could only talk him into building a roll bar I'm sure he would build to meet SCCA spec and fit and function would be awesome. Can't remember who he is but I've been told I should get my seat rails for the new Kirkey seat I'm getting for next year from him... I'll see if I can find out who he is

Quick Reply: Dario Franchitti released from AGR