Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice from my fellow enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:02 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need advice from my fellow enthusiasts

Hey all, I know I don't hang here much anymore since I started backing off from track days, but I used to, so I'm hoping you all can give me your thoughts - I'll try to keep it quick.

Driving to work yesterday, car started smoking (saw in rear view mirror). Pulled off road, as soon as I did smoke started pouring through the A/C vent and I get a low oil pressure warning - it was clear it was on fire. I carry an extinguisher and I got to the fire and put it out quickly. It was oil on the exhaust, driver rear of the block. Looking at the trail on the ground, it was a small drip all the way until I pulled off, then all of a sudden quite a lot of oil, then a puddle under the car.

The car was towed to LG for a topical analysis of what happened and a damage assessment. It wasn't a catastrophic engine failure (like a rod or valve) because the car was running just fine. I got it shut off seconds after the low pressure warning (I think, it seemed like forever). I'm still waiting on the assessment from LG.

Mods are a cold air intake and LG's G2 rad/oil cooler combo (so the car takes 8 - 8.5ish quarts, very clearly not stock from that standpoint)

Here's my dilemma - I was in the process of returning the car to stock because I can't afford tracking anymore. Since my goal is a stock, low maintenance car, I keep thinking I should take it to the dealer. If it wasn't for the oil cooler I'd have towed it to the dealer first and let them look at it, especially since there may be some other damage form the fire (it was a small fire but could have damaged a harness or something). But, I keep sticking on the point that the car isn't stock from an oil standpoint, and that's the issue I had.

Should I just take it to the dealer as is? I contemplated having LG return the oil routing to stock (just cap the openings in the radiator and use it only as a radiator) so that at least when I took it to the dealer I didn't have the extra complication. I'm not trying to weasel any free work from GM (not trying to pretend it wasn't stock), but I'm worried that it will be much more complicated explaining 8 QT of oil etc. Am I just being paranoid?

I know I should probably just wait to see what the issue was... I'm just antsy after this happening... seeing the pool of oil beneath the car made me sick to my stomach...

Today's my B-day, not what I was looking to deal with

Any advice is welcomed, even if it is just "wait and see" advice. Maybe I'm just looking for comfort...

Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since it is already at LG I'd wait for their evaluation as to what is damaged. To me it sounds like part of the oil cooling system let go...who did the install of it, was it LG?

Best of luck with this, hopefully not too much damage occurred.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Since it is already at LG I'd wait for their evaluation as to what is damaged.

Bummer this happened and especially the timing. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The more stock you can get it for the dealer the better. But with major issues I don't think it will matter much, either way.

Happy birthday, I think it's time for a cold adult drink!

Randy
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Happy birthday, I think it's time for a cold adult drink!

Randy
Probable several

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice from my fellow enthusiasts

Quick Reply: Need advice from my fellow enthusiasts