Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Old" AS03's as a Track Day Tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "Old" AS03's as a Track Day Tire

Hey all, I have some old 315/335 Hoosier AS03's sitting around with some meat left on 'em. I have a track day Friday so I'm debating using them, rather than spending $ on borrowing some 710s from a friend (I run A6s for AutoX and no way I'm using those expensive, fragile buggers). Will the AS03's hold up? I'm just going for fun, not absolute times but I do need/want a safe and consitent tire.

Thoughts?

-TJ
Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Hey all, I have some old 315/335 Hoosier AS03's sitting around with some meat left on 'em. I have a track day Friday so I'm debating using them, rather than spending $ on borrowing some 710s from a friend (I run A6s for AutoX and no way I'm using those expensive, fragile buggers). Will the AS03's hold up? I'm just going for fun, not absolute times but I do need/want a safe and consitent tire.

Thoughts?

-TJ
Answer, do you know what NFL stands for????

NOT FOR LONG!!!!!

The ASO3's were really short life tires in autocross.... There wasn't much rubber on the edges of them at all. I saw cases where two drivers corded the edges in six autocross runs on an abrasive surface...

I don't know if they would go off due to temperature, I don't think they would last much longer than a few laps.....

If you do try to use them, bring a second set of tires, and pump the bejuinior our of them... Also there was almost no "undertread" on those tires, they went from sticky rubber to cord in a heartbeat. Not sure if they had any steel in the belts, but I wouldn't even dream of doing it, the idea of loosing a tire on the track would scare me (and those who know me know I am fearless)...
Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Pakisho
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, there you have it TJ. Instant death if you even bring em within a hundred yards of the track entrance.

After you do a track day, you wont be needing cone-dodger tires anymore anways.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pakisho
Damn, there you have it TJ. Instant death if you even bring em within a hundred yards of the track entrance.

After you do a track day, you wont be needing cone-dodger tires anymore anways.
I already have (at Infineon). I like track days... but AutoX is its own thrill and still "my thing."

-TJ
Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjZ06
I already have (at Infineon). I like track days... but AutoX is its own thrill and still "my thing."

-TJ
Okay... so I had a LOT better day Friday than my previous track day. The car worked a lot better (I had a TON of PCV issues last time) and I got 6 full sessions. I was THE fast car out there, easily killing some co-worker's cars (GT3, F430, Exige, Legends race car etc). Honestly the hardest work for me was catching/passing a well modded Evo on race rubber when the instructor drove it (when the owner drove it no challenge at all). Even the instructor driven Evo took less then a lap to catch and get the wave by. Track days are a ton of fun... I'll still be AutoXin' plenty though.

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To "Old" AS03's as a Track Day Tire

Quick Reply: "Old" AS03's as a Track Day Tire