Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future of Corvette Racing: Wesolowski Interview

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Future of Corvette Racing: Wesolowski Interview

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/40712/
Old 10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see them in the FIA GT series if the ALMS can't get any competition for them. Besides, they really need to take it to the Europeans on their soil. I think that it would make the most impact if Corvette could be on top in Europe.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

He also handles GM's WC cars (Caddy)
Add to that the routine conflict of having to lobby for his own factory GM team while arguing against privateers in the same series running GM products, and the tangled web of Wesoloski’s daily routine is something most people would steer extremely clear from. More than simply being asked to swiftly navigate these distinctly different political minefields, Wesoloski also has to ensure all his programs are on point, on budget, and on top of the podium.
No F1 for GM either
We always get the question, ‘Why doesn't GM go Formula 1 Racing?’ Well, if McLaren can afford a hundred million dollar fine and still be back next year racing, GM can't afford to race in Formula 1. That doesn’t make sense to us. So we're on a couple orders of magnitude lower than that as where we'd like to operate, but we can't let that get out of hand even as it is.
or prototypes
NASCAR aside, everything else GM spends money on to road race--an ALMS Corvette, Rolex Pontiac G6, Koni Chevy Cobalt, WTCC Chevy Lacetti, V8 Supercar Holden Commodore, SCCA Club Pontiac Solstice, or SCCA World Challenge Cadillac CTS-V reveal, to varying degrees, their production car roots. It would take a massive change in GM’s culture to imagine Corvette Racing pushing for a prototype in 2010.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Anomir
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I'd like to see them in the FIA GT series if the ALMS can't get any competition for them. Besides, they really need to take it to the Europeans on their soil. I think that it would make the most impact if Corvette could be on top in Europe.
That does not sell cars here in the US though, and that is the majority of where Corvettes are purchased. No manufacture will field cars when they think it will not help sell cars. As hard as it is to see something other than Nascrap, F1 and IRL, how often do you think we would ever see a FIA race? *Edit* I forgot to add, a live broadcast, and at what time would that make it here in the US? How many viewers would it draw for a network to even consider the broadcast etc?

This is the type thing that the marketing guys think about and point out.

Last edited by Anomir; 10-09-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Add to that the routine conflict of having to lobby for his own factory GM team while arguing against privateers in the same series running GM products
why do they worry about this?

Caddy WC be back? I doubt it.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:04 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If they drop down to ALMS GT2 next year it will be GM vs LG all over again. /:\
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Riley and Lou said GM was going to help them technically so I doubt they are moving in that direction. They have st rived to keep privateers running against the C6R & 5

Get notified of new replies

To Future of Corvette Racing: Wesolowski Interview

Quick Reply: Future of Corvette Racing: Wesolowski Interview