Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire (VS) thread compilation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Tire (VS) thread compilation

Just gauging interest: I thought this would be a good idea.

With all the new tires coming out and all the useless comparisons out there I thought that maybe we should have a subjective data tire thread where we can post when we try a new set of tiresVS a set we have used before. Though there are so many different variables that go along with tires, objective data can really give a collective view as to which tires are faster, but even more importantly when and where they are faster.

So this is more than just butt dynos, it has real data and over time we can compile a list of tires that can be helpful to anyone who is trying to decide among the plethora of tires that are available today.

I'm thinking the criteria for insertion should AT LEAST have these minimum requirements:

Setup Data:
Tire Size
Wheel Size
Tire Type
Tire Pressures
Test Vehicle & specs

Results Data: (any combination)
Lap times
Cornering speeds
Braking Zone Variations
Lateral G's
Wear Rate (tire longevity)

Subjective Data:
Sound Feedback
Turning Response
Rear Grip

Fell free to advise other categories. I wanted to see who would be interested in this, seems relvant as opposed to the random comparison thread.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Look at the National Results from NASA and wait a bit for the SCCA Runoffs. Then look at what tires the winners were on.

Hoosier As most grip and lowest times so far. 3 to 4 heat cycle use.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Look at the National Results from NASA and wait a bit for the SCCA Runoffs. Then look at what tires the winners were on.

Hoosier As most grip and lowest times so far. 3 to 4 heat cycle use.
Yes but hoosier A's are not best in all appilcations, meaning some people dont want nearly full slicks, this will be compilation of any two or however many tires someone decides to run.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
So this is more than just butt dynos, it has real data and over time we can compile a list of tires that can be helpful to anyone who is trying to decide among the plethora of tires that are available today..
Well, comparing new tires vs old tires isn't going to yield much in the way of results. Old vs old would be better, but I hope I'm improving as a driver as I gain more seat time, so the latest "old" results should show improvements due to that.

Don't get me wrong, learning is learning, and trying to figure out the facts from the hype is part of the challenge.

One thing I think you need to do is break the comparos down into groups:

1. Full street tires (Kumho MX, for example)
2. Crossover tires (Kumho V700, Toyo RA-1, etc.)
3. Track tires (V710, Hoosier A/Rs, etc.)

For example, I've run both V700s and RA-1s, and the V700s have more grip when they're new than the RA-1s, but the RA-1s are more consistent down to the end of their life. V700s appear to be more sensitive to heat than the RA-1s, but that could just be me.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

^^^^^^^ Yes

Exactly what I had in mind, I expect tires to be compared over the life of the tire. If you track enough, and try different tires, you will have likely tried a couple sets in 3 events or so depending on the tire, you may have been taking corners better due to driving skill, so this is not a perfect idea, but it will help narrow it down when trying to choose based on subjective and objective notes derived from the multitude of very good and very fast drivers that post here.

The given tire review should contain data and opinion and any driving technique changes, so we can differentiate what was actually tire, and what may have been the driver.

I know opinion will differ, but I think it's a good idea to share these opinions.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire (VS) thread compilation

Quick Reply: Tire (VS) thread compilation