Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lewis Hamilton Investigated by FIA

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lewis Hamilton Investigated by FIA

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...K7CVgD8S2DTUG0
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

like on the street you are resposible for the front of your car. Guy in the back gets the blame.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

a YouTube video caused the investigation??
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/40749/
Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

The Fuji clip on Youtube is from an amateur. It was used to show Hamilton did not follow the 5 car length rule, in fact he almost overtook the safety car. It is very clear that he violated FIA Article 40.10.

Hamilton got no penalty. Vettel did get a penalty. I'm sure due to the result of punting another car. But part of his penalty is based on something Hamilton also did.

So whether it is purely an issue with visibility trying to keep with the pace car. Or whether Hamilton was messing with the other drivers to set himself up for a better launch when the pace car pulls off. We'll never really know...

Oooh the drama that is F1...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Youtube:

The private video posted - get this error:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management

I guess I didn't realize they could copyright video taken by a spectator. I guess they own copyright on pictures taken by spectators too? Sheesh...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Only the Lord knows what the FIA will decide. What LH was doing during the SC periods was commented on by the Speed team, and it seemed reasonable to them (trying to keep heat in the brakes). It wasn't like LH hadn't been doing that the whole time he was behind the SC.

My hope is that the FIA will drop the penalty against Vettel and chalk it up to one of those racin' moments. If you want to get technical about following the rules of conduct in the race you'd lose half the field, especially in one where the conditions were that bad.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by yellow01
I went to Youtube:

The private video posted - get this error:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management

I guess I didn't realize they could copyright video taken by a spectator. I guess they own copyright on pictures taken by spectators too? Sheesh...
That awful Big Brother of them
Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cv2BIV_GmQ

Here is the vid....

Adam
Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Deleted 07.13.2020
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops
Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

interesting clip
Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During those laps I thought Hamilton was doing "more odd than usual" tire/brake warming techniques. However, I don't know if that rates a penalty - Vettel looked like he had plenty of time to stop and keep distance and just didn't. Thought I think its pretty harsh to penalize him too.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Zee916
Pro

They wont do a thing to hurt LH's chance of winning the title. They've already allowed for a crane to come and pick him up when he ran off into the gravel in Germany, so why not brake checking behind the safety car?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Zee916
Pro

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
During those laps I thought Hamilton was doing "more odd than usual" tire/brake warming techniques. However, I don't know if that rates a penalty - Vettel looked like he had plenty of time to stop and keep distance and just didn't. Thought I think its pretty harsh to penalize him too.
You are aloud to brake, warm up the tires, as long as you keep the required distance to the safety car. 5 lengths is the required distance and it was obvious he was almost passing the safety car at some points.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

"The driver in front of me runs off in the rain"

"Good I get a position"

"oh wait, he saved it"

"I can't pass under caution, so I'd better get hard on the brakes so I don't get a violation."

"I can brake harder than the guy behind me"

CRUNCH!

even worse with rain as a factor.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by Zee916
You are aloud to brake, warm up the tires, as long as you keep the required distance to the safety car. 5 lengths is the required distance and it was obvious he was almost passing the safety car at some points.
I realize that but it was just more "rubber banding" than usual.

He was one of what 4 or 5 cars in the gravel trap and the only one with the engine still running they said. At least, thats what I recall...
Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

This video is actually better than I thought it was. I was thinking that Hamilton sped up and suddenly slowed causing the pile up. It wasn't that way at all. Vettel should've been paying attention to Webber and not Hamilton. It's definitely Vettel's fault IMO.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
This video is actually better than I thought it was. I was thinking that Hamilton sped up and suddenly slowed causing the pile up. It wasn't that way at all. Vettel should've been paying attention to Webber and not Hamilton. It's definitely Vettel's fault IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Lewis Hamilton Investigated by FIA

Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xsiveone

I spent last weekend racing in worse conditions than that. Lots of zig-zag and rubber banding was going on. Don't hit the guy in front or next to you! Can't worry about the guy behind. Once you get near the start/re-start all that comes to an end or no green flag will be thrown. I would bet if someone could post the actual moment of the green flag/re-start all the cars were bunched up nose to tail and going the same speed.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:09 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Hhmmm... The pace car makes an early apex... car understeers so it plows towards the left side of the track. LH is on his normal racing line... and is overtaking the slowing pace car so... LH ducks inside... track right... and stays track right, on the outside of the following left hand turn, to avoid other drivers.

IMO... the pace car initiated the incident... LH avoided bumping the pace car and avoided interfering with the following drivers. No harm/no foul. Webber was able to slow down for the pace car and easily makes the corner.... Vettel who's following... WACKS Webber in the rear... earning a penalty for causing an avoidable accident.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:48 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Hhmmm... The pace car makes an early apex... car understeers so it plows towards the left side of the track. LH is on his normal racing line... and is overtaking the slowing pace car so... LH ducks inside... track right... and stays track right, on the outside of the following left hand turn, to avoid other drivers.

IMO... the pace car initiated the incident... LH avoided bumping the pace car and avoided interfering with the following drivers. No harm/no foul. Webber was able to slow down for the pace car and easily makes the corner.... Vettel who's following... WACKS Webber in the rear... earning a penalty for causing an avoidable accident.
That was my problem with the SC as well. I thought that it caused more trouble than it helped. In the dry, that thing is going ***** out just to keep ahead of the F1 cars and it's much worse in the rain. They need something like an AWD supercar (Audi R8 perhaps?) as a SC.

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton Investigated by FIA