Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth using header wrap to wrap the exhaust pipes that run on either side of

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth using header wrap to wrap the exhaust pipes that run on either side of

trans pan to keep it from heating up the trans pan or the fluid inside??

Shahram
Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 AM
mash
Racer

Keep one thing in mind, when using header tape. The heat has to go somewhere. You are protecting one area, but another area gets hotter.
Saw this on GT1 cars. Wrap the headers, and the exhaust/muffler would get hot enough to catch a fiberglass door (side exhaust) on fire.

Mash
Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other thing is header wrap can trap moisture and then accelerate corrosion of your exhaust.

Just my opinion, but the best solution is a cooler, again JMO
Old 10-05-2007, 09:21 AM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by yellow01
The other thing is header wrap can trap moisture and then accelerate corrosion of your exhaust.

Just my opinion, but the best solution is a cooler, again JMO
I'm using a huge cooler its just when getting stuck in traffic for long time the few times a year I drive the car on the street. And the X-pipe is stainless and I just thought about wrapping the 2 24" inch sections that run on both side of the trans pan.

Shahram
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you are using the car for track days the answer is yes, it will keep the tranny cooler. It isn't likely going to replace the need for additional coolers, but the way the stock exhaust is routed near the trany and diff puts more heat into the tranny and rear end than need be...

The flow rate of air around the tranny and differential is pretty small, in particular in the "kickup" area where the exhaust goes over the half shafts. With everything tucked up into the car (out of the airstream) under there, the temperature of the exhaust isn't being reduced much in that area, but it is transferring heat into the tranny and diff and any reduction in that it a good thing.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Another option would be to have it ceramic coated, it's more expensive but more effective also. I've had a couple of track cars who decided to do this when I installed the headers. It will probably run you around $200 to have it coated but it's neater.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Solofast
If you are using the car for track days the answer is yes, it will keep the tranny cooler. It isn't likely going to replace the need for additional coolers, but the way the stock exhaust is routed near the trany and diff puts more heat into the tranny and rear end than need be...

The flow rate of air around the tranny and differential is pretty small, in particular in the "kickup" area where the exhaust goes over the half shafts. With everything tucked up into the car (out of the airstream) under there, the temperature of the exhaust isn't being reduced much in that area, but it is transferring heat into the tranny and diff and any reduction in that it a good thing.
That's what I was hoping for. I've got a an EOC, TOC and a P/S cooler and all tucked into the drivers side fender cause its the only place I have. I've have NO room in front of the FMIC, God knows I've tried. But yesterday I was flushing the trans with more RP ATF and I could not believe hot freaking hot the exhaust pipes next to the trans pan were getting! I couldn't help but to think that all the heat has got to radiate heat into the pan since the pan is smack in the middle. Gonna get some wrap from summit racing and do it. Thanks for all the help and views guys.

Shahram
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Coating is nice, check out Swain tech.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've often thought about wrapping, but unless you have a full SS exhaust you are asking for trouble 2-3 years down the road. That stuff is notorious for holding moisture and accelerating corrosion. That is the only downside.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 AM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I've often thought about wrapping, but unless you have a full SS exhaust you are asking for trouble 2-3 years down the road. That stuff is notorious for holding moisture and accelerating corrosion. That is the only downside.
Yes sir...its SS...and I don't know if it matters as fas as moisture but its never seen rain and never will.

Shahram
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Coating is nice, check out Swain tech.
Works well for us! You mechanic will thank you as well.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I bought a bunch of thermotech heat wrap products from Speedzone for a gas turbine project I was doing last year. They were super helpful, really fast shipping (got it the next day) and were less expensive than Summit and Jeg's... They really understood the products and the what worked for each application, as well as being nice folks to deal with...

http://www.speedzone24-7.com/

I would try them first...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

header wrap really is nice, but it does have drawbacks as noted above. I had a set of TPIS (mild steel) headers crack in less than one season. However, it is really nice having an engine bay that you can work in literally right after coming off of the track.

Another concern is safety. If you would happen to have an oil leak at a valved cover, the header wrap can actually absorbe it like a wick and catch fire. Instead of just smoldering and burning off, you can actually have a real fire. Not likely to happen, but something to think about.

bottom line, I like it if done carefully (ie, wet the fabric and wrap it tightly and completely), but it leads to more maintenance down the road
Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Thanks again guys, you've all been a huge help.

Shahram
Old 10-05-2007, 06:43 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine and solved my trans overheating issues during lapping days. Cost me a grand total of $40 for the wrap and about an hours time to make sure it was nice and tight.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:12 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did mine too. Haven't seen any track time yet to tell if it helped, but I just put in a new tranny (A4) due mostly to overheating, and I thought it might help.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Another concern is safety. If you would happen to have an oil leak at a valved cover, the header wrap can actually absorbe it like a wick and catch fire. Instead of just smoldering and burning off, you can actually have a real fire. Not likely to happen, but something to think about.
NOW you tell me This did happen to me, not sure if I would have avoided the fire after blowing my engine but I think it made it worse. Luckly, not a lot of damage, I was able to put it out pretty quickly. Still chasing some electrical gremlins, but nothing major so far.

Same thing can happen if your sloppy adding oil, like I can do some times. The wrap will hold on to the oil, a LOT better than you think, almost impossible to clean it out. And it will smolder and smell at the very least...

My X-pipe is still wrapped, but thats because there are no oil or ATF sources near by. However, I don't think it really helped my trans temps.

What kind of trans cooler do you have? Not all coolers are built equal, a tube and fin will not do as well as a plate type for the trans and oil. Also, what size is it? The racing ones are large, my new one is 11x11 and is a plate style. Hope to be on the track in a couple of weeks to ry it out

Maybe a deeper pan would help you out. Thats my next step if this cooler does not do it... either that or look for a manual trans LOL...

Get notified of new replies

To Is it worth using header wrap to wrap the exhaust pipes that run on either side of

Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 PM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbauch357
I did mine and solved my trans overheating issues during lapping days. Cost me a grand total of $40 for the wrap and about an hours time to make sure it was nice and tight.

How many feet did you use on each pipe? I'm gussing you used a 50' total roll devided by 2? Looks great.

Shahram
Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LRD VDR
How many feet did you use on each pipe? I'm gussing you used a 50' total roll devided by 2? Looks great.

Shahram
yep, used a 50 ft roll and if I remember right it was 3"wide, so it's about 3 layers thick throughout the length of the pipe..
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by LRD VDR
trans pan to keep it from heating up the trans pan or the fluid inside??

Shahram
Not sure if it helped but I did wrap mine.......

DH

Quick Reply: Is it worth using header wrap to wrap the exhaust pipes that run on either side of