Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need instalation tips on Braided SS Brake lines....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Need instalation tips on Braided SS Brake lines....

After a hard time waiting for the parts they finally arrived.

I have everything for making some improvements on the braking department.
New master cylinder, Godridge SS brake lines, speedbleeders and ATE super blue racing will be used.

Are there any special considerations that I should look for the instalation of this items, specially the Godridge SS brake lines ?

Forum Members that have done this modifications,do you have any tips or tricks in making this a trouble free job will be as always highly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

One comment. You might want to use your existing caliper inlet bolts. The Goodridge bolts don't seem to be all that great. One snapped at 22 lbs, never got close to the 30 lb torque spec, luckly it could be removed easily.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

yes, buy a new set of GM OEM brake hoses. There is no reason for SS braided lines for HPDE's.

I have heard of 1 failed GM hose, and 100's of problems with aftermarket SS braided hoses.

Even in the above post, failed after market bango bolt.........
Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Just make sure they are the right lenght. I purchased a set (for my 1992) and the fronts were short.

Have been using SS lines since 2001 with no issues. My prior ride (RX7) also had them with no issues.

Steve
Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
yes, buy a new set of GM OEM brake hoses. There is no reason for SS braided lines for HPDE's.

I have heard of 1 failed GM hose, and 100's of problems with aftermarket SS braided hoses.

Dude, I dunno. Seemed to help my confidence level with the brakes. Less water absorption, less expansion of the line when very hot (since HPDE and brake upgrades make higher temps at the wheel), and so forth. Like most things, it's possible to mess them up, but I think it's a pretty good mod. Certainly no trouble if done right.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Dude, I dunno. Seemed to help my confidence level with the brakes. Less water absorption, less expansion of the line when very hot (since HPDE and brake upgrades make higher temps at the wheel), and so forth. Like most things, it's possible to mess them up, but I think it's a pretty good mod. Certainly no trouble if done right.

One of the first things I did when I got my Z06 was put on SS brake lines (Goodridge). I had no problems whatsoever with them (no codes, ABS problems, etc.). When I switched to the Wilwood brakes, they came with Wilwood's SS brake lines. Again, easy to install and they work perfectly. Personally, I like the firmer pedal feel of the SS brake lines over the stock lines.

Install the kit that you got. Do be careful with the banjo bolts and make sure that you are using new copper washers for the install. Follow the torque specs on the banjos and tighten them carefully (no room for guerilla wrenching here), and the install should go just fine. It's a very easy job to do. Try to minimize fluid loss from the hard lines on the car (you don't want air getting into the ABS sytem), and bleed following the workshop procedure (IIRC, right rear, left front, left rear, right front). ATE Super Blue is great stuff. I use it for the track and never a problem with fading. Good choice.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larryfs

Hello Larry, have you used this lines personally? I am a little confused now, because everybody seems to like this modification and noticed a better pedal feel, less spongy, more direct.
I have never used this lines personaly but saw a lot of sport bike users do this mod with a lot of success and driving the bikes to extremes.
I understand that they are completely different kind of vehicles starting by the weight but seems to be a comon and useful solution for some problems.

What caused specifically those failures? I would like to avoid them.
Thanks for the comment
Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Well ... I installed StopTech SS lines (banjo) in Jul, '06 and have had no problems. (I wanted to get -AN ends, as those are reportedly "better", but I also wanted covered lines ... and the StopTech's are fine.
Ensure you put the longer lines on the rear.
Biggest's install problem for me was getting the clip off the line at the connection to the fixed brake line. Had no special tool ... just worked it with a thin screwdriver and needle nose pliers.
After a test drive I had to tighten one bolt on the caliper end ... other than that ... fine.
You'll use the bleeder caps to cap off the fixed line to minimize drips and air ingestion.
I installed in the bleed sequence, and proceded to do a bleed as I went.
BTW ... I've used speedbleeders since 2004 and have had no problems with them either (some have reported leakage/air ingestion).
HTH.
BTW ... though I have no regrets about the mod ... the stock lines are indeed quite robust ...

Get notified of new replies

To Need instalation tips on Braided SS Brake lines....

Quick Reply: Need instalation tips on Braided SS Brake lines....