Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage = Track car ??? Why..???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:27 PM
stax68
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage = Track car ??? Why..???

Many people post on these forums that they would only consider a salvage car for use as a track car....why is that ???

Do they mean they would take the car and strip out all the excess
wieght on it...thereby ruining any resale..???

Or do they just mean because of all the rock and paint chips the
and wear the car's paint would take....that they would not want
to dirty up a new car...and would just get the cheapest running
car they could hence..a salvage one..

..ok..thanks guys..
Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Normally salvaged vehicles have frame damage. Repairing a corvette frame is easy to do , but most corvette buyers do not want a frame damged and repaired, or salvaged and repaired used corvette.

Now here is the good thing about a frame damaged and repair, the frame can be made straighter then stock.

Corvette parts are easy to put on. the wheel well liners are glued on and that takes some doing, But the body panels, I could strip most of the body panels off in under 2 hours.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:58 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

My current T1 car is a salvage titled car (yes, I know this is Vette site). The resale value of a car with a salvage title is quite a bit less than one that has a regular title. In the case of Vipers it make the car "reasonable" price-wise (everything is relative). To me the savings at the time was around $30,000...and the car was already repaired.

If you find a car damaged and are proficient in repairs, then you can save money and invest time. Plus you can elect to not replace or repair parts that won't be used on a race car (not really relevant with SCCA Touring cars because they are so "street-like").

Resale of used race cars is always "iffy." A title doesn't really impact that process, 'cause even a T1 car isn't a good choice to drive on the street these days (roll cage, stiff suspension, load exhaust, etc).
Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

my insurance company just excluded "race track driving" for any purpose. That could be another reason to go salvage.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just look at Short Throws car. He started with a nice C6 street car and ended up excluding just about everything except for the frame. If you can get a salvage car for cheap, why waste your money on a nice street car when you're going to replace everything anyway.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe Gaudette is in the same boat...

Bought a nice 2002 Z06 with about 2700 miles on it for $38K, sent it to Phoenix for a race car conversion for another $33K-ish, and now it's got $15K in damage from another idiot driving into him after a race was over... I'd much prefer to take a salvage car and convert it, or buy a car that's already gone under the knife at Phoenix, than take the hit financially.

Mike
Old 10-07-2007, 06:55 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Remember, Salvage does not really indicate that its got a bent frame. Salvage can mean a multitude of things. I picked one up on ebay not too long ago that was a theft recovery. There was SO much missing from it, they deemed it a 'salvage' car, so thats the title it got.

Flood cars have salvage titles as well most of the time. There is nothing 'bent' about a car under water

If its got significant frame damage, I wont come near it. Burns, thefts, and floods are what I look for when we build a new car.

Now the GT2 effort started with 2 brand new 08s, however those rules dictate that you must use more stock parts, or in stock fashion so it was a must to have them complete even though most of the parts will not be used. Bare frames will most likely start the 003 and 004 chassis'.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have built a ton of fast cars from "salvage cars". It must be the right kinda damage. I hate flood cars because I get sick around mold

Randy
Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
Now the GT2 effort started with 2 brand new 08s, however those rules dictate that you must use more stock parts, or in stock fashion so it was a must to have them complete even though most of the parts will not be used. Bare frames will most likely start the 003 and 004 chassis'.
What '08's did you start with? Coupe's or Z06's?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Coupes, the Zs are in GT1.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
Coupes, the Zs are in GT1.
The GT1 isn't really a Z06 though. It would've been nice to have the body of the Z06 since you can't change much of anything on the body.

Get notified of new replies

To Salvage = Track car ??? Why..???

Quick Reply: Salvage = Track car ??? Why..???