Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Road Race this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Open Road Race this past weekend

My wife and I ran the Road Runner Open Road Race this past weekend in Fort Stockton, TX. The course is 80 miles total (40 miles each way) on a closed public highway.

We drove in the 125mph class (try to average 125mph) and placed 2nd in class. We were 0.748 seconds slow = 124.959 mph.

We relied mainly on a stopwatch and landmarks to judge speed but also used a GPS. Unfortunately my GPS will only read in whole MPH avg once you get over 99mph.

My "tech" speed was 140mph - can not exceed that speed.
I did run 137mph for several miles to get the avg mph up. After doing that for a while when I dropped back down to 125+/- mph it felt like we were crawling.

It was a great weekend. On my way home I stopped for a coke and found a $20 bill in the parking lot.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Scott,
Congratulations!! These events have always interested me. Did no know there was one in TX. What were you driving and how was it prepared for this type of event?
Ed
Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Thanks.
There are actually 2 in Texas - both out of Fort Stockton.

April - Big Bend Open Road Race is 120 miles with ~120 curves (www.bborr.com)

October - Road Runner Open Road Race (www.rrorr.net)

I was running my 99 coupe.
Mods - B-K harness bar & belt mounts / GF 6 point harnesses / Z06 swaybars / DRM oil cooler / lowered on stock bolts / alignment

I ran in 5th gear which was between 4,000 and 4,500 rpm.
Each run was ~19 minutes.
Oil temps got to 207* and coolant temps ran ~196*.

I tried running in 6th a few times on long straights but just didn't have enough HP for running/accelerating at 120-135mph as the RPMs dropped too much.

I also track this car at HPDE so I have DRM brake ducts and HP+ pads (not necessary for orr).

I plan to upgrade springs and shocks this winter and will put on wider tires. I'm running stock wheels with Pilot Sports. I ran tires at 34psi cold and they got up to 40psi hot. Handling was ok but would like better shocks and springs. I ran a couple of practice runs at 142 mph (oops) with lower air pressure. The car seemed a little "light". Adding 4 psi made a difference.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you. Prep was not as much as I thought it would have to be. Cars prepped for SCCA or NASA road racing would meet the requirements.
Glad you did so well.
Ed
Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eogel
Thank you. Prep was not as much as I thought it would have to be. Cars prepped for SCCA or NASA road racing would meet the requirements.
Glad you did so well.
Ed
The faster you go the more you have to have - priority on safety. Check rules on website. I think they limit you on speed if you've not competed in one of their races before. Rookies have to attend rookie school and get signed off on by an instructor after in-car runs.

They put on a good, SAFE race. At least 2 spotter planes in the air at all times. EMS and Life-Flight on hand. Gateworkers at every gate/road on the course with radio communication between all courseworkers. Firetrucks and ambulances at each start/finish and at mid-course.

There is a wide variety of cars. This time we had cars from a VW Beetle to a Lamborghini. Lots of Vettes and Mustangs.

The first time we ran in the 100mph class in a stock 99 coupe with GY runflats. Stock seatbelts. Long sleeve cotton shirts and blue jeans.

You need to come down and try it Ed. We have people from all over the country. We had ~90 cars for this race. The BBORR has ~150 cars.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time!!! Those open road races have it all, safe, fast, crazy, danger, and everything else good about a race!!!

Randy
PS Oil and water temps look great
Old 10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been wanting to do one of these. I think that my wife would be open to it also because she loves to navigate. Just going to the race would be a trip in itself.

Are you going to do the Big Bend or stay with the shorter distance.

I think that they run one of the open road races in Nevada too.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:49 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

I will definitely do both races. It is only 1-1/2 hours from my house. That's practically next door out here.

I think they have 4 races in Nevada.

Here is a story a local station did on the race.
The news guy raced his Toronado in the 90 mph class.

Come on down. I know you will be hooked.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds like you had a blast.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

SS Racing-
Glad to see you had a good time at RRORR.

Just a side note- C5 and C6 Corvettes will tech to 168 MPH with only the addition of a harness bar, 5 or 6 point harnesses, and acceptable tires. This is due to an "approved rollover structure" built into the Corvette. The Nevada organization, MKM Racing Promotions, also will tech your Vette to 168 with the same equipment.

I'm guessing the only reason your car did not tech to 168 is because you were entered in Grand Touring, and not Grand Sport. Grand Touring is up to 125 MPH average, and the Grand Sport class is from 130-150 MPH average target speed. With your current setup, you'll tech to 168 MPH should you decide to enter the 130 class at BBORR in April.

See you in April! I'll be running 135 class in my C6.

scottycards
2003 BBORR Unlimited Division Winner (navigator)
204 MPH top radar trap speed
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
I have been wanting to do one of these. I think that my wife would be open to it also because she loves to navigate. Just going to the race would be a trip in itself.

Are you going to do the Big Bend or stay with the shorter distance.

I think that they run one of the open road races in Nevada too.

You and Patches would do great out there!

There is a race in Nebraska also..
Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by scottycards
I'm guessing the only reason your car did not tech to 168 is because you were entered in Grand Touring, and not Grand Sport. Grand Touring is up to 125 MPH average, and the Grand Sport class is from 130-150 MPH average target speed. With your current setup, you'll tech to 168 MPH should you decide to enter the 130 class at BBORR in April.

See you in April! I'll be running 135 class in my C6.

scottycards
We chose to do 125. A friend bumped up to 130 and had to get firesuits (we run in firesuits already). Other than that we are basically the same (except for the supercharged LS6 under his hood )

What color C6?

I have a Mag Red C5 #12 (permanent #). Look me up in April.

BTW, better get your motel room now. The oilfield is going crazy and rooms are in short supply. One motel told us Haliburton has their rooms booked for a year. We blocked 8 rooms at the Super 8 for the BBORR. That's all they had available.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM
scottycards
Team Owner

Thanks for the tip. Off to book a room now.

I'll for sure look you up in April. VR C6.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 AM
scottycards
Team Owner

Any C6 ORR'ers here on the forum?

I'm wondering what kind of oil/trans temps you're seeing in a non-Z-51 C6.

For the C5's, many ran a trans/diff cooler, but I see that in the 125 class SS Racing had no problems. In 150 class, people with C5's needed additional cooling.

I don't know what people with C6's are seeing as far as temps. I think I'll be OK in 135 class/168 tech running the factory setup, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone's BTDT.

TIA!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been wanting to do one of these. I think that my wife would be open to it also because she loves to navigate.
Dont most women love telling their men what to do anyway?

Not that we listen . . . . .

I would like to try the Maxton Mile here in NC some time.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Dont most women love telling their men what to do anyway?

Not that we listen . . . . .

I would like to try the Maxton Mile here in NC some time.
I hope that you get to meet Patches one of these days. She is considered the "Official Track Mom" by several on this forum.

What is the Maxton Mile?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I

What is the Maxton Mile?
East Coast Timing Association http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

1.9 mile long old WWII bomber training air field just north of the SC boarder out side Larenburg and Maxton North Carolina.

One mile to get up to speed and though the traps and .9 miles to slow down

MAXTON, NC

Laurinburg/Maxton Army Airbase was built in 1942 as a training base for gliders. The plan then was to silently send troops past enemy lines during the invasion at Normandy. Tucked away in the Carolina pines was an isolated location perfect for such training during World War II.

There are three original runways at Maxton (short for Laurinburg/Maxton). Two are still in use by the airport. The third, however, was abandoned in the 1960s, as three runways were more than the community needed. While unused for 35 years, it fell into a state of disrepair with grass, bushes and even trees growing up around and through the concrete. When we first looked at this unused and forgotten runway, we could see immediately the potential for speed trials. With the use of the taxiways on either end of the main runway, we had almost 1.9 miles of total length. Hard and flat, we could run a full mile and still have 0.8 to 0.9 tenths of a mile of shut down area, perfect for speeds that would be over 200 MPH, with some eventually reaching 260 MPH.

Get notified of new replies

To Open Road Race this past weekend

Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply. It looks interesting. Also it is not far from the beach. So you think that you might run there next season?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Thanks for the reply. It looks interesting. Also it is not far from the beach. So you think that you might run there next season?
Close to starting on a NASA ST2 or 1 car. Have most of the parts now. Just waiting for a few things to happen so I put the cage in.
That is first priority. Then the May time slot at Maxton maybe.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:25 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the second Place i'm entering the SORC Which is the one held in nebraka for next year i'm entering the 100mph class for my first year out should be a blast they had opened registration the first of oct and was all filled up withing a week so unless some of the lifers don't sign up in april there are no more open slots

Quick Reply: Open Road Race this past weekend