Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full season on C6Z06 rotors!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Full season on C6Z06 rotors!

Just thought I would provide everyone with a REAL WORLD update on the longevity of the C6Z06 drilled rotors. You know...the ones that we all thought were pieces of crap, especially with the left only directional rotor!!?!

We'll, I ran a full season (9 days for me) WITHOUT ANY additional cooling ducts or spindal ducts. I used an assorted variety of track pads (RB700, 800, 900, Hawk DTC 60, Carbotech XP12's) throughout the year.

Not until the 9th day, did I actually crack the 1st rotor to the outer rim. This was actually the front left rotor...NOT the right!!!! I would imagine with cooling ducts, you could get some more days out of the rotors. Also, I used competition mode all year, which I could feel came on several times probably making the brakes even hotter overall.

I was pleasently suprised as I was very worried about the price of the rotors with the wrong direction and the holes and how long they would last. We'll, I would say they lasted longer than the NAPA rotors I used on my C5 that were solid!!

So, by no means am I endorsing rotors with holes, but based on actual experience, the Z's rotors are pretty darn good, holes or not!

Now, brake pad wear is another issue still...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's pretty good! I have heard of 1 day crackers to a full session. Is there a production issue or is it all in the driver???

Randy
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping it's not the driver. I put new NAPA rotors on my C6, drove 3 hours to the track, and cracked the LF after 2 sessions... :-) I blame it on having way too little rebound in the rear shocks I was testing and standing the car on its nose every time I hit the brakes... yeah, that's it.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I'm hoping it's not the driver. I put new NAPA rotors on my C6, drove 3 hours to the track, and cracked the LF after 2 sessions... :-) I blame it on having way too little rebound in the rear shocks I was testing and standing the car on its nose every time I hit the brakes... yeah, that's it.
No, your problem is that you were using NON-seasoned rotors. You need to drive them on the street a bunch of times and get them use to heat cycles before you induce a massive heat cycle on virgin rotors. Putting on new rotors and going directly to the track is a crack going to happen for sure!

Driver can account for much of parts wear. Like I said before, intermediate and novice drivers use more of their brakes because they tend to overbrake for corners. Avioding this, comes with experience and trust. After about 30 track days, you really start trusting your car at the limit in fast turns. You slow down to become fast, and stop jabbing the brakes at every entry zone. I personally notices after about 4 years, I started entering corners at much higher speed, rather than how MOST instructors teach novice-intermediate students (slow in, fast out).

To go fast, you need fast in and fast out. Standing the car on it's nose, is going to do nothing in way of fast lap times. I would rather back off the throttle, brake less and take the corner 10mph faster than try to threshold brake my car hyperspace.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
No, your problem is that you were using NON-seasoned rotors. You need to drive them on the street a bunch of times and get them use to heat cycles before you induce a massive heat cycle on virgin rotors. Putting on new rotors and going directly to the track is a crack going to happen for sure!
Yeah. I know. But sometimes you have what you have. I didn't want to chance the other rotors, but had my hand forced since they were my spares and ended up doing fine.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Yeah. I know. But sometimes you have what you have. I didn't want to chance the other rotors, but had my hand forced since they were my spares and ended up doing fine.
We'll the good news is that the standard C5/6 NAPA rotors are so cheap it doesn't matter. The C6Z06 on the other hand are still over $120 per rotor as you can only get them from GM. I bought two and with tax is was almost $260!...ouch! But on the other hand, they are still cheaper than 2 peice rotors and apparently last as long, which is what I wanted to find out.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't you run the Rb rotors or was it just the pads? If so how did they last? May be your getting old Hey Matt what times are good for the double infield? I may have did it once in the fog.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Just thought I would provide everyone with a REAL WORLD update on the longevity of the C6Z06 drilled rotors. You know...the ones that we all thought were pieces of crap, especially with the left only directional rotor!!?!

We'll, I ran a full season (9 days for me) WITHOUT ANY additional cooling ducts or spindal ducts. I used an assorted variety of track pads (RB700, 800, 900, Hawk DTC 60, Carbotech XP12's) throughout the year.

Not until the 9th day, did I actually crack the 1st rotor to the outer rim. This was actually the front left rotor...NOT the right!!!! I would imagine with cooling ducts, you could get some more days out of the rotors. Also, I used competition mode all year, which I could feel came on several times probably making the brakes even hotter overall.

I was pleasently suprised as I was very worried about the price of the rotors with the wrong direction and the holes and how long they would last. We'll, I would say they lasted longer than the NAPA rotors I used on my C5 that were solid!!

So, by no means am I endorsing rotors with holes, but based on actual experience, the Z's rotors are pretty darn good, holes or not!

Now, brake pad wear is another issue still...
It's obvious you don't brake HARD..... I can go thru a set in one day. Don't believe me, let me drive your car on VIR....
Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine lasted all season last year. This year 4 days and they are toast. Still not cracked all the way through but look worse than the last set which lasted over 20 days.

Braking harder and more aggressive pads made a huge difference.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
It's obvious you don't brake HARD..... I can go thru a set in one day. Don't believe me, let me drive your car on VIR....
It's all relative to the tracks you run and how aggressive (fast) you are.

I've run identical setups with with another C6Z06 and the other Z's stuff lasts 3-4 times longer but the lap times are significantly different.

the stock rotors last much better than you would think, much better than the crap RB puts out.

BTW if your not wearing out RB pads like crap through a goose, you're coasting into turns.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW if your not wearing out RB pads like crap through a goose, you're coasting into turns.[/QUOTE]

Good one!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done 6 days at VIR on the stock rotors. 2 with stock pads. 4 with HP+ pads. I don't do a lot of trail breaking and VIR is not as hard on breaks as many other tracks. However, I do break hard. Particulary so on days 5&6 when I was trying to explore the brake zones: going in faster and deeper(turn 14); threshold braking til ABS engagement(turn 1); trying to shift the weight and rotate the car(turn 4)...

They were perfect until after the 5th day when the fronts began showing small surface cracks around the holes. They're still fine for the street; but, I definitely need at least some spares if not replacements for the next HPDE.

I'm going to try the DBA Rotors from TireRack next. They're "only" $140 each...
Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Driver can account for much of parts wear. Like I said before, intermediate and novice drivers use more of their brakes because they tend to overbrake for corners. Avioding this, comes with experience and trust. After about 30 track days, you really start trusting your car at the limit in fast turns. You slow down to become fast, and stop jabbing the brakes at every entry zone. I personally notices after about 4 years, I started entering corners at much higher speed, rather than how MOST instructors teach novice-intermediate students (slow in, fast out).

To go fast, you need fast in and fast out. Standing the car on it's nose, is going to do nothing in way of fast lap times. I would rather back off the throttle, brake less and take the corner 10mph faster than try to threshold brake my car hyperspace.
My God! That is exactly what i think! i freak out with the instructors in the car because there are allways yellin' brake! God i hate brakes lol fast in fast out OH YEAH BABY!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:18 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by linutux
I've done 6 days at VIR on the stock rotors. 2 with stock pads. 4 with HP+ pads. I don't do a lot of trail breaking and VIR is not as hard on breaks as many other tracks. However, I do break hard. Particulary so on days 5&6 when I was trying to explore the brake zones: going in faster and deeper(turn 14); threshold braking til ABS engagement(turn 1); trying to shift the weight and rotate the car(turn 4)...

They were perfect until after the 5th day when the fronts began showing small surface cracks around the holes. They're still fine for the street; but, I definitely need at least some spares if not replacements for the next HPDE.

I'm going to try the DBA Rotors from TireRack next. They're "only" $140 each...
i carry spare stock rotors and pads always
Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
I brake hard only when required, which is not at every corner or even close. My point is that many people think every time you brake you should threshold and that is not the case. I have done VIR, Glen, Pocono long/short, and Summit Point dozens of times. I am probably more conscious of my brakes since it is a C6Z06 and I don't want to eat through pads to simply gain a hundredth of a second. A lot of it has to do with brake management. Meaning...don't ride them, get on and get off quickly, and let them cool down slowly, and don't use your brakes on the last lap and even when pulling in the paddock.

Don't get me wrong, I push my brakes hard, but I don't stand on them to the point that my car's nose is standing on end. I find unless you run super stiff springs, standing on the brakes 100% with stock springs doesn't help lap times, it only unsettle's the suspension, makes the rear very twitchy, and making it more difficult to properly load the suspension for the up coming corner resulting in lower corner speed.

The only time I really stand on the brakes 100% is when I approach a hairpin 30-40mph corner after a long strait. At this low speed the suspension does not need to be loaded to take the corner quickly. Hey, but we all have our own styles, and it's what works for the individual that counts. I just personally find that these Corvette's don't like to be tossed and stood on their noses to get fast lap times.

As far as the RB Pads, we'll they were more gentle on the rotors than the hawk or the carbotechs, so pad choice also has a big impact. As far as eating through pads, you can see from my original thread that in 8 track days I went through 5 sets of pads...YES 5 sets! I did find that the Hawk's and Carbotech lasted longer and worked better at the track, but are subsequently more expensive than RB.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

No, your problem is that you were using NON-seasoned rotors. Putting on new rotors and going directly to the track is a crack going to happen for sure!

intermediate and novice drivers use more of their brakes because they tend to overbrake for corners.

I started entering corners at much higher speed, rather than how MOST instructors teach novice-intermediate students (slow in, fast out).

To go fast, you need fast in and fast out.

I would rather back off the throttle, brake less and take the corner 10mph faster than try to threshold brake my car hyperspace.

I brake hard only when required, which is not at every corner or even close.

A lot of it has to do with brake management. Meaning...don't ride them, get on and get off quickly, and let them cool down slowly, and don't use your brakes on the last lap and even when pulling in the paddock.

Don't get me wrong, I push my brakes hard, but I don't stand on them

I find unless you run super stiff springs, standing on the brakes 100% with stock springs doesn't help lap times, it only unsettle's the suspension, makes the rear very twitchy, and making it more difficult to properly load the suspension for the up coming corner resulting in lower corner speed.

The only time I really stand on the brakes 100% is when I approach a hairpin 30-40mph corner after a long strait. At this low speed the suspension does not need to be loaded to take the corner quickly.

I ran a full season (9 days for me) WITHOUT ANY additional cooling ducts or spindal ducts.
Why would someone so "knowledgeable" about on-track performance, and so concerned w/ brake performance not install brake cooling ducts ???

Old 10-11-2007, 12:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mwvettec5
Why would someone so "knowledgeable" about on-track performance, and so concerned w/ brake performance not install brake cooling ducts ???

I purposely wanted to leave my C6Z06 completely bone stock for the first year and didn't want to do any mods except tires and pads. I really wanted to see how the car would do in complete stock form the first year before adding any modifications. My last 01Z had everything under the sun bolted on. So like any car crazy track rat, I thought about adding seats, BBK, rotors, coil-overs, ducts and all the good stuff. BUT I try to remember that I bought the car because I wanted a factory package ready out of the box, AND instead of following trends or listening to vendors pushing product, I wanted an entire season on the stock car myselft to see what the car REALLY needs after actual testing before I start spending precious money. I bought parts 3 times over on my last car because I followed trends and I vowed not to make the same mistake this time around.

So, the purpose of the thread was to state the the stock C6Z06 rotors are actually very good in quality and did very well even without cooling ducts. Will the performance/longevity go up with ducts...probably. But again, the purpose was to provide YOU and forum members with unbiased, real evaluation of the controversial Z drilled rotors by a fairly seasoned driver. Take is as you wish

Get notified of new replies

To Full season on C6Z06 rotors!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 PM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

I wanted an entire season on the stock car myselft to see what the car REALLY needs after actual testing before I start spending precious money
Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

I brake hard only when required, which is not at every corner or even close. My point is that many people think every time you brake you should threshold and that is not the case. I have done VIR, Glen, Pocono long/short, and Summit Point dozens of times. I am probably more conscious of my brakes since it is a C6Z06 and I don't want to eat through pads to simply gain a hundredth of a second. A lot of it has to do with brake management. Meaning...don't ride them, get on and get off quickly, and let them cool down slowly, and don't use your brakes on the last lap and even when pulling in the paddock.

Don't get me wrong, I push my brakes hard, but I don't stand on them to the point that my car's nose is standing on end. I find unless you run super stiff springs, standing on the brakes 100% with stock springs doesn't help lap times, it only unsettle's the suspension, makes the rear very twitchy, and making it more difficult to properly load the suspension for the up coming corner resulting in lower corner speed.

The only time I really stand on the brakes 100% is when I approach a hairpin 30-40mph corner after a long strait. At this low speed the suspension does not need to be loaded to take the corner quickly. Hey, but we all have our own styles, and it's what works for the individual that counts. I just personally find that these Corvette's don't like to be tossed and stood on their noses to get fast lap times.

As far as the RB Pads, we'll they were more gentle on the rotors than the hawk or the carbotechs, so pad choice also has a big impact. As far as eating through pads, you can see from my original thread that in 8 track days I went through 5 sets of pads...YES 5 sets! I did find that the Hawk's and Carbotech lasted longer and worked better at the track, but are subsequently more expensive than RB.
RB pads? are those raybesto's?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:42 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

No Racing Brake

http://www.racingbrake.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full season on C6Z06 rotors!