Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On a dedicated track car which systems are kept

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default On a dedicated track car which systems are kept

...and which ones are not?

Specifically I'm talking about things like ABS, TC, AH, the TPS system, push button start, etc? And those that are removed are they just programmed out?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends on the rules if the car is raced.

Most of the items can not really be programmed out, but programmed to the point of not coming on.

We have someone hear in Raleigh that has made a sealed PVC plastic pipe with four TPS inside. It pressurized to 34 psi and programmed for each corner. This pressurized pipe is attached to the center of the car ( roll bar) or behind the passenger seat. These drivers never have TPS issues when changing wheels now.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Thanks Tom, maybe I'll check in with one of the forum tuners to see what they recommend on how to handle these systems.

I would think that ABS is always a good thing but I wonder if the C6 has an "ice" feature that previous Vettes apparently had, if so I think that is not something you would want on a track car.

For dry days I'm thinking the TC & AH would not be wanted but maybe for very wet days AH might be nice to have? The TPS might be nice but I'm sure too much trouble when always switching wheels.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

When I was researching making my car a track only car I was going to send it up to Phoenix Performance for a T1 spec cage, T1 suspension, straightpipes, and then get the LGM wilwood front brakes. I would have removed the AC and stereo.

The AH, TC, ABS all remain intact... you can turn off the AH/TC easily and are left w/ ABS. I see no downside to ABS and it will keep you from flat spotting tires.

I've been running HPDEs for 5 years and have never had "ice mode" or whatever... I've heard about it, and even had a buddy claim that it was the cause of his wreck at an auto x though.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

If I was converting a vette to a pure track car I would rip everything out that was not essential to racing/tracking the car for the following reasons:

keep it simple stupid. Less things less to go wrong/repair.
reduce weight to the minimum
get rid of things that interfere or could interfere with car's performance such as TC/AH.

I would keep the ABS like others have said.

You could probably get more than 300 pounds out of the car which will improve all aspects of the car's performance.

JMHO
Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ That'd be a stretch... really all you can remove is the AC, air pump system, stereo and interior. The C5/C6 doesn't have alot to remove. And "removing AH/TC" doesn't actually remove anything from the car. You'd just turn them off. Which you can do anyway by pushing the button in the console.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ That'd be a stretch... really all you can remove is the AC, air pump system, stereo and interior. The C5/C6 doesn't have alot to remove. And "removing AH/TC" doesn't actually remove anything from the car. You'd just turn them off. Which you can do anyway by pushing the button in the console.
^^I was looking at a lot more than that. I would pull all the emissions gear, lights, airbags, radio, air conditioner/heating system, and whatever else was not essential. I also included pulling seats and putting in lightweight racing seat and also all carpet and insulation.

The AH system does actually have a few parts to measure yaw rates etc, but I am sure they weigh next to nothing. But they are expensive!!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Many owners have had problems turning off the AH if they don't run tire pressure sensors (some cars have problems, others don't - seems to depend on when it was built). Getting rid of the TPMS might solve that problem.

However, it's part of the RCDLR module and has inputs from/to the BCM when sending it's info to the DIC.

If you get rid of the RCDLR, how do get into the car - maybe just weld the doors shut and do the NASCAR through the window thingy!

If you don't have any windows you could just reach down inside the door and pull the mechanical release to gain entry, or go in through the hatch to the other mechanical release - otherwise there's no way to mechanically open the door from the outside. I don't know what the regs are on being able to gain access to extract you in the event of a crash on the course.

Bob
Old 11-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Ahhh silly C6s.... C5s don't have these stupid issues
Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Many owners have had problems turning off the AH if they don't run tire pressure sensors (some cars have problems, others don't - seems to depend on when it was built). Getting rid of the TPMS might solve that problem.

However, it's part of the RCDLR module and has inputs from/to the BCM when sending it's info to the DIC.

If you get rid of the RCDLR, how do get into the car - maybe just weld the doors shut and do the NASCAR through the window thingy!

If you don't have any windows you could just reach down inside the door and pull the mechanical release to gain entry, or go in through the hatch to the other mechanical release - otherwise there's no way to mechanically open the door from the outside. I don't know what the regs are on being able to gain access to extract you in the event of a crash on the course.

Bob

At this point in time I think the door opening will be accomplished by re-locating the interior mechanical lever onto the roll bar and then tying into the same system with a secondary cable and adding either a ring or a T-bar to the outside of the door to open it from the outside.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
At this point in time I think the door opening will be accomplished by re-locating the interior mechanical lever onto the roll bar and then tying into the same system with a secondary cable and adding either a ring or a T-bar to the outside of the door to open it from the outside.
Sounds like a plan!

Are you going to keep the push button start? I don't know what all the computers that control that feature are - probably the RCDLR as well.

What does the C6R do? I guess when they're at LeMans and switch drivers they have to hand off the Fob!!!!

Bob
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I would think that ABS is always a good thing but I wonder if the C6 has an "ice" feature that previous Vettes apparently had, if so I think that is not something you would want on a track car.
I don't know all of the details but I have heard that there is a program or a module that you can get from GM Racing that will change the brake bias from steet settings to racing/track day use. I'm not sure if any of the T1 guys have gotten into anything like this but if it's out there I would think that they would surely program out the "ice mode". I've only heard of this in passing on 3 or 4 occasions so I'm not sure if the upgrade is available to us common folk or not, or what years it covers. But that would be the set-up to get if availible.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 AM
bimmershop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miaugi is briging up a good point with this tread cause is looking at my corvette built really closely (we are neighboors).

Since I 'm turning this car as a dedicated track car I would like to take as much out of the car.
I will keep ABS on a switch to turn it on/off when I want, and keep the TC/AH system for horrible conditions.

My main concern is the Security system / key system. I would like the car to start without the key system. But I don't know yet if we are able to bypass this security system.

Cheers to all, I will start a build tread with pics.!!

Seb
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

On a C5 you can disable ABS by pulling a fuse; at Spring Mountain they taught lane change/avoidance with and w/o ABS

Get notified of new replies

To On a dedicated track car which systems are kept

Quick Reply: On a dedicated track car which systems are kept