Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Lone_sword
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me

I have a 99 C5 A4. I have driven stick all my life. I want to road race m C5 but I have no clue how to race in a automatic. How do you attack the corner and exit while holding engine speed in an automatic? Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Your probably not going to like the bulk of the answers on this one
Most are going to tell you to stop while your ahead and dump the A4 for a M6 mainly because of all the issues it creates. Just trying to keep the thing cool can be a challenge on the track, and if you add some HP, it can be a major cooling challenge. Down shifting is another problem.

The question you need to be asking yourself is; how much time are you will to spend solving A6 issues as opposed to seat time and learning the fast line

Good luck

Ps Check out your competition.......how many A4's do you see?????(maybe none??)

As you my have guessed, I'm a stick jockey!

Last edited by hisvett; 11-10-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by hisvett
Most are going to tell you to stop while your ahead and dump the A6 for a M6 mainly because of all the issues it creates. Just trying to keep the thing cool can be a challenge on the track, and if you add some HP, it can be a major cooling challenge. Down shifting is another problem.

The question you need to be asking yourself is; how much time are you will to spend solving A6 issues as opposed to seat time and learning the fast line

Good luck

Ps Check out your competition.......how many A6's do you see?????(maybe none??)
The OP has a C5 with A4, but here's a report on the C6 A6 paddle shifter in action at Spring Mountain:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1338726

Bob
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hisvett

Cooling is going to be a problem if your actually racing it.

There are several T1 prep'd cars for sale now on this forum for <$30K which might be a great option.

If you just want to track your DD and you're willing to pay for some additional trans cooling you can probably get by...

Left foot braking is definitely a must for tracking an auto:
http://www.scarbsf1.com/leftfootbrake.html

Last edited by linutux; 11-10-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lone_sword
I want to road race m C5 but I have no clue how to race in a automatic. How do you attack the corner and exit while holding engine speed in an automatic?
I've been tracking my C4A4 for a few years now and have found a couple things:

1) Learn the car well enough so you can drive it in 3rd gear all the way around without having it downshift on its own, as this will lead to bad things. There is no doubt that this will not be the fast way around but should go to show where your car wants to be in 2nd and in 3rd.

2) Once you've done that, you will be able to begin picking your spots where you want to be in 2nd gear and keep the revs up. You will feel the torque (and get to enjoy it).

3) When you begin doing your 3-2 downshifts make sure you know how long it will take so you can get it done in a straight line in a braking zone. You don't want it to shift as you're coming off the brakes or beginning turn in. I think this point is key.

4) When doing your 2-3 upshifts, make sure you're way up in 2nd gear so your shift will happen quickly. Again, make sure you're out of the turn and under control when you do it.

Cooling can be an issue but there are solutions and I disagree with the opinion that autos are a detriment on the track. I think it's just a car characterisitic just like any other, say multi-link rear vs. double A-arm rear, or whatever.

My last suggestion: if you run into an instructor who is not willing to work with you in an auto, DUMP THEM. Go to the organizers and ask for someone else. I've been fortunate to have a couple of instructors who were very good at teaching me to deal with my auto and it has gone a long way in me enjoying my car even more.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me

Quick Reply: Please help me