Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a serious Standing Mile setup...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Blorton
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about a serious Standing Mile setup...

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience running the standing mile.

I'm thinking about trying it next year and was thinking of the following as a baseline, some of which obviously supports other forms of racing.

Safety....

1) Full cage.
Even though my car isn't even remotely powerful enough to make the cage a requirement, I don't see doing the job halfway or possibly twice. Based on what I'm seeing in the rulebook for Maxton, a four to six point would be the minimum anyway. I'm 5'10" so hopefully won't have any issues with the broomstick test. I was thinking of going with the wolferacecraft kit which I can weld in myself. Should I just go custom fabbed? It seems some rulebooks have issues with total number of bends which the wolfe may not comply with...

In road course events that require full cages - is there a DQ for removeable side bars? Obviously, I'm talking about less than full-on classes that require nascar bars... (Would I be good to go in the relevant SCCA/NASA/etc. events?)

2) Full racing seat.
HANS or no? I'd obviously swap the seat back out when not racing and would run at least a collar anyway.

3) Wheels and Tires.
I would pull a tire trailer to the event with spare wheels and tires to be swapped out there. Wheel bearings will all be replaced beforehand as well as going for an all-zeros alignment. Anything else I should do along there?

Car Setup....

I'm currently on stock internals with full bolt-ons and contemplating a budget h/c swap in lieu of a katech 427 later on. (Or the 500 if the pricing comes out to being reasonable.) The transmission is the standard mn6/3.42.

1) Obviously, this is a drag race on steroids, with all the (reliable) power one can get free to use. Barring a forged setup with crazy amounts of nitrous or boost, I'm leaning towards more displacement for the car's long term goals. With that in mind and the goal of having gobs of torque, wouldn't it make the most sense to go with the 2.73 rear end? The goal is to have as few shifts as possible. Would I be more likely to break things with that kind of torque leverage?

2) I'm running the Vararam and am worried about possibly running lean at top speed. I'll be logging and going easy on the first couple of runs to check that and would adjust in hptuners accordingly. Anyone have experience with the Vararam along these lines? I have no problem pulling it for a more conventional system, but would sure like to be able to use it in a situation where it would seem to really shine.

3) I'd likely run a 'chute for peace of mind, even if my class wouldn't require it. Any problems yanking the rear brakes if I do that?

Aero....

4) I'm thinking of just going with an extractor hood. Maxton, for example, is reportedly quite bumpy, so I'm not sure I want to slam the car and run a splitter and wing(even if the wing didn't introduce so much drag). Do you guys think careful attention to rake and the extractor hood would be safe enough or should I go for the splitter and at least a lip spoiler? From watching videos of the event, it appears the
runoff area is a gentle curve to the right with almost a mile to stop in, so gobs of downforce would be wasted.

5) Also, I was thinking I'd pull the side mirrors and speed tape the front end and hood seams. Any problems covering the brake vents?

6) Should I even remotely consider moon covers on the wheels? I'd have to go with custom-fabbed using safety wire or some sort of lockscrewed clamping arrangement. Maybe a flush wheelwell instead of the covers in the rear?

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

Dan
Old 11-11-2007, 12:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Dan

I think it is great. Check out the East Coast Timing Assoc

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

for the technical rules to help you set up your car.

Sonny in VA is a forum member had has done 197 mph in the standing mile IIRC

Old 11-11-2007, 01:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Blorton
I'd love to hear from anyone with experience running the standing mile.

I'm thinking about trying it next year and was thinking of the following as a baseline, some of which obviously supports other forms of racing.

Safety....

1) Full cage.
Even though my car isn't even remotely powerful enough to make the cage a requirement, I don't see doing the job halfway or possibly twice. Based on what I'm seeing in the rulebook for Maxton, a four to six point would be the minimum anyway. I'm 5'10" so hopefully won't have any issues with the broomstick test. I was thinking of going with the wolferacecraft kit which I can weld in myself. Should I just go custom fabbed? It seems some rulebooks have issues with total number of bends which the wolfe may not comply with...

In road course events that require full cages - is there a DQ for removeable side bars? Obviously, I'm talking about less than full-on classes that require nascar bars... (Would I be good to go in the relevant SCCA/NASA/etc. events?)
Check the ECTA-LSR rules.

Removable door bars are not a very safe item and should not be used. Either full cage with NASCAR Door bars or just a roll bar.

SCCA/ NASA events or TT will depend on that rule book. W2W - a full cage is need with NASCAR DOOR Bars.

2) Full racing seat.
HANS or no? I'd obviously swap the seat back out when not racing and would run at least a collar anyway.
Race seat yes, HANS, Yes for any W2W racing. neck collars dont really help

3) Wheels and Tires.
I would pull a tire trailer to the event with spare wheels and tires to be swapped out there. Wheel bearings will all be replaced beforehand as well as going for an all-zeros alignment. Anything else I should do along there?
brake fluid and brake pads, few extra minor parts, belts - easy things to change

Car Setup....

I'm currently on stock internals with full bolt-ons and contemplating a budget h/c swap in lieu of a katech 427 later on. (Or the 500 if the pricing comes out to being reasonable.) The transmission is the standard mn6/3.42.
No need to go there. Just get on the track and drive. The 500 is for street ppl who what big cubes but not for the road race or DEs. Stroke is TOO long

1) Obviously, this is a drag race on steroids, with all the (reliable) power one can get free to use. Barring a forged setup with crazy amounts of nitrous or boost, I'm leaning towards more displacement for the car's long term goals. With that in mind and the goal of having gobs of torque, wouldn't it make the most sense to go with the 2.73 rear end? The goal is to have as few shifts as possible. Would I be more likely to break things with that kind of torque leverage?
Just get out there are drive first dont go to N2 or tubos for road racing or DEs, maybe for Maxton ( Sonny uses N2 )

2) I'm running the Vararam and am worried about possibly running lean at top speed. I'll be logging and going easy on the first couple of runs to check that and would adjust in hptuners accordingly. Anyone have experience with the Vararam along these lines? I have no problem pulling it for a more conventional system, but would sure like to be able to use it in a situation where it would seem to really shine.
Everyone has diffent ideas on intakes. Some tuning programs allow you to set the A/F ratios for diffent cylinders. as in richen up #7 & 8

3) I'd likely run a 'chute for peace of mind, even if my class wouldn't require it. Any problems yanking the rear brakes if I do that?
Class depended. At Maxton you have .8 or .9 miles to slow down. a Shute is over the hill ???

Aero....

4) I'm thinking of just going with an extractor hood. Maxton, for example, is reportedly quite bumpy, so I'm not sure I want to slam the car and run a splitter and wing(even if the wing didn't introduce so much drag). Do you guys think careful attention to rake and the extractor hood would be safe enough or should I go for the splitter and at least a lip spoiler? From watching videos of the event, it appears the
runoff area is a gentle curve to the right with almost a mile to stop in, so gobs of downforce would be wasted.
Some aero, not too much. too much causes more downforce and dragg.

5) Also, I was thinking I'd pull the side mirrors and speed tape the front end and hood seams. Any problems covering the brake vents?

6) Should I even remotely consider moon covers on the wheels? I'd have to go with custom-fabbed using safety wire or some sort of lockscrewed clamping arrangement. Maybe a flush wheelwell instead of the covers in the rear?

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

Dan
These last two depend on the rules.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about a serious Standing Mile setup...

Quick Reply: Thinking about a serious Standing Mile setup...