Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alabama SCCA @ Barber Dec 1st

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alabama SCCA @ Barber Dec 1st

Hey Guys--

The Alabama Region SCCA is having a 1-day HPDE at Barber Motorsports Park on December 1st, and we'd love to have a bunch of you guys come join us. I know a 1-day event makes a little less sense if you're driving in from out of town, but I believe we'll have a fairly low turnout, which means lots of open track time. We're also in need of instructors, so if you're interested, please email your credentials/experience to myself or David Leonard directly:

fhturner@earthlink.net [me]
vette6autox@yahoo.com [Dave]

Event details and registration are at http://www.dlbracing.com. You can also link there via our website http://www.alscca.org. Would love to see you guys there!

Thanks,
Fred
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

eh, I suppose if my car makes it through this weekend at PBOC, I would see about it.

I've heard that the SCCA has some of the strictest rules regarding convertible cars though. What do you know about that?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So am I invited? And if I am, do I have a car to drive?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I've heard that the SCCA has some of the strictest rules regarding convertible cars though. What do you know about that?
Check our main page at http://www.alscca.org for info about that.

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
So am I invited? And if I am, do I have a car to drive?
Of course! And of course!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by fhturner
Of course! And of course!
The ZR-1?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

The ZR-1?
Haha...yeah, right! No, I believe the Red Beast or Blue Steele would be at your disposal! Tho ZR-1 might be missin' a little track action... It's never seen Barber, ya know...only Road Hotlanta!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Haha...yeah, right! No, I believe the Red Beast or Blue Steele would be at your disposal! Tho ZR-1 might be missin' a little track action... It's never seen Barber, ya know...only Road Hotlanta!
I'll bring down my brembo brake kit and bolt it on and give you a run for your money.

Last edited by Jeffvette; 11-13-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Oh sure, just when I start to tear my car down for off-season R&R, you post this.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

I'll brign down my brembo brake kit and bolt it on and give you a run for your money.
Funny thing...that's EXACTLY what the Z said it needed going into Turn 10A on about lap 5 at Road Atlanta!

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
Oh sure, just when I start to tear my car down for off-season R&R, you post this.
Well, put 'er back together and come join us, bro!

For those of you who've sent me an email, I'm forwarding on to Dave, but please head on over to http://dlbracing.com and register there also. We'll use the email to verify you're crazy-- er-- fit enough to instruct.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

For those of you who've sent me an email, I'm forwarding on to Dave, but please head on over to http://dlbracing.com and register there also. We'll use the email to verify you're crazy-- er-- fit enough to instruct.
Oops. Strike that. David is now reviewing all instructor candidates personally, so you will not need to sign up via DLB. So, please send your emails to him. Guys that I've already received emails from, don't worry about it...already forwarded to him.

If you are only interested in participating and not instructing, then please DO go to DLB.

Thanks!
FT
Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Fred, thanks for the info. I just signed up.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Already committed to Sylvia at CMP for that weekend (and Jake had better be studying for finals that weekend).... 1 day events at Barber make it easy for me to visit my Mom....
Old 11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
Fred, thanks for the info. I just signed up.
Great! Look forward to seeing you, Larry. I'll be in either a gnarly red '01 Z06, or a fairly tame '02 Electron Blue coupe...please come say "Hey". Usually on the 2nd tier of the paddock down toward the Pit Out end...

Originally Posted by varkwso
Already committed to Sylvia at CMP for that weekend (and Jake had better be studying for finals that weekend).... 1 day events at Barber make it easy for me to visit my Mom....
Sorry you won't be able to make it, Jeff, but there's always next time! We'll miss ya!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Hey Guys--

Registration is still open through tomorrow, if you wanna come out. Our #'s are pretty low, so expect LOTS of track time for a 1-day event! To register, link to it from our website or DLB:

http://alscca.org
http://www.dlbracing.com

Thanks!
Fred
Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Wish i could make it
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gpm30236
Wish i could make it
Where you been, Glenn? Haven't seen you anywhere this year, come to think of it. Hope everything is well w/ you and your car.

Okay, guys-- today is the last day to register, so here's the *bump*! Please pass this along to anyone you know who might be interested in joining us!

Thanks,
Fred
Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Its been an interesting year , personally and professionally , havent' had much track time , did get to do Jim Russell at infineon a gr8 event and a couple of track days in southeast.

Got an Ariel Atom , am doing some dial in for it, the way it comes from the factory is almost scary as its very tail happy. Am getting there, no significant lawn care at VIR for synergy event. , did lose exhaust gaskets ( a very common problem) and melted an oxygen sensor.

Hope to make lots more events next year. All 3 vettes are doing well, and my learning of all things mechanical including suspension is improving greatly.

Get notified of new replies

To Alabama SCCA @ Barber Dec 1st

Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Great event

Fred, thanks again for the info. Everyone had a very good day. I was worried about the weather but it was really nice. The Alabama group is a bunch of friendly and helpful folks.

I wanted to talk to you more but with 8-20 min. sessions I was too busy

Thanks, Larry
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

How did it go? I really wish I couldn't have made it down for this.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Hazman
Racer

Great event!!!

With the number of folks registered they decided to only have three run groups and do 20 minute sessions. This meant a lot of track time but with two students I got no breaks!! Top of each hour go out and have fun, 20 after in the car with my intermediate student who had a gutted out Honda Civic, at 40 after jump in with my novice student in a Mini-Cooper S.

This was my novice students first open track event though he had done several AX events. He was cautious and started out slow but as the day passed he quickly learned the line and started to put together some consistent laps.

My intermediate student had a good bit AX experience and a few track days. It did not take him long to get a good grasp on the line and we were having a blast. We started trying some different lines to see where he could carry more speed since he was underpowered in his stock motor Civic. After lunch we were coming over the tunnel turn and he ran out of track and dropped two tires off on the left. He tried to bring it back and yep we spun across the track and into the tire wall. We hit driver's side going backwards and then came to a stop with the rear of the car against the wall. Checked off that we were both ok and waved the corner workers. He managed to get the car restarted and we drove to the pits to check the damage. The car had that tire tread pattern on the entire driver's side but did not appear to have any damage to the suspension or drivetrain. He did bust his wiper fluid tank.

As we got out I noticed blood on my shirt and then realized that somehow I had a pretty good cut under my chin. Paramedics took a look and said I needed 2-3 stitches. Some friends helped load up the cars and hook the truck up so we were ready to head out. A fellow racer who used a couple of band aids to butterfly the cut together and we headed out. I did not really want to spend several hours sitting in Birmingham and then have a long drive home so I did the long drive home first and then went to the hospital!! It only took 30 minutes to get my chin glued up at Baptist West in Knoxville.

All in all it was a good weekend cause any weekend at the track is better than a weekend anywhere else!!

Last edited by Hazman; 12-02-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Alabama SCCA @ Barber Dec 1st