Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More of Our Guys In GRM

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default More of Our Guys In GRM

On page 44 of the latest GRM is a nice pic of Jack McAfee's "old" C4 with either Rick or Ralph in tow. Of course Jack doesn't drive his Crossfire equipped C4 anymore. He has moved up to a yellow Z06. A little further back you'll see the black C5 of Mike Sarver. Congrats to the Over The Hill gang on the national exposure. If only they knew of whom they were taking pictures!!!

Bob
Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

There are number of people in this issue of GRM. Junior Johnson is on the inside front cover in the Hoosier ad. Certainly there is Danny Popp and L98Terror in the NASA standings.

I'm not sure if he was ever on this board (he was on Z06vette), but Todd Lamb aka Lambinator won the Spec Miata race.

I believe that ERND IT was just in Blue Bars magazine (I think that is what it is called) for winning the womens NCCC autocross championship.

I'm sure others that are on here are in some of these magazines but those are the people I know of.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The latest issue of GRM was just so-so. Yeah Jr's car was in the Hoosier ad, Jeff Mosers car was featured in the "stuck on you" picture, but the NASA Nationals coverage was absolutley atrocious (sp?). The pictures and captions seemed to be heavily based on who advertised that month in their magazine. The coverage should have included pictures and captions of everyone that won a NASA National Championship. The only glory that ameature racers get from these National Championships is the publicity they get for themselves and their sponsors. Jeff Moser won TTS after the Audi episode, and fortunately for him he was featured somewhere else (stuck on you), Ken Smith won by a good margin in TTA and was not pictured. I won 2 National Championships (TTU & ST1 ) with a orange "rookie" plate at my 2nd every roadrace weekend and not a single blue car picture either..........I havent studied but I am sure there were others that won championships with no accedidation.

At least on the pictures of Moser's car and Jr. Johnsons car you can see the RAFT decals
Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Kanmer, yeah that pic was from Hyperfest 2006 at Summit. That's when I had a chance to "play" with Jack and Mike. Mike soon found out how to use the go peddle on the Z06 and Jack soon followed!!! Now just to get the bugs out of the LT4 and I'll be chasing them again next year!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:19 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you didn't like the coverage Danny. Honestly, it was a miracle the coverage even got in that issue considering when the event happened and when we had to go to press.

As for advertiser consideration, I just don't see it, even by coincidence. Most of the photos I see in the story feature prominent decals of companies who don't advertise (they probably should, but that's not my department). The only advertiser consideration that was given directly in the story was the placement of a few ads at the request of the advertisers who support NASA and wanted to be in or near the story.

Scott chose and captioned most, if not all of the photos,and while I don't want to speak for him directly, I think his basic approach in selecting shots was one of trying to tell the story of the overall event, which explains the use of the many non-action shots. I'll get with Scott and see if he'd like to further explain his process.

The toughest part is that we always know someone is going to get screwed. There's only so much paper and ink we can afford every issue. Because of that, we have to spread the love judiciously. Obviously everyone noticed Moser's car in Stuck on You. That was no accident or lucky coincidence. We couldn't fit him in the NASA coverage, so we managed to get it in somewhere.

Just for the record, I'm frequently presented with several choices of shots when laying out particular stories. I'll never use an image specifically based on the sponsors of the car, unless it's absolutely material to the story. It just doesn't make any sense. I will admit, however, that given two photos of equal merit, quality and relevance, the one with the GRM sticker usually wins. So sue me.

Again. Sorry you were disappointed. I'll slap Scott around and see if I can get him to explain his process a little better.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I reallly appreciated the coverage in Stuck On You. Sent an e-mail to Tim Suddard and Scott Lear thanking them. I thought it was a great shot of my car. Tim sent a reply, which was cool. It was nice to hear how that all came about. Again thanks for the coverage,especially since this was my 1st year competing in any kind of timed event. I was disappointed not to see each class winner get coverage. I was especially disappointed not to see more coverage of RAFTRACER. I personnaly witnessed most everything he did at the track to do his best in each event. I understand why Chuck Norris checks his closet every night to make sure Danny is not there. He is the Man. He should have gotten some coverage for his 2 National Championships. RAFT, IT'S NOT A CLUB, IT'S A GANG. YEA BABY!!

Last edited by jackcasual; 11-17-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:13 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

JG,
It's not that I didn't like the coverage, its cool that you guys cover it, I just felt it to be not complete....If you were racing a deadline , maybe you should have waited for the next issue. As I said previously the only real perk to winning a National Championship is the publicity that you receive for yourselves and sponsors, which everyone did not get...maybe next year. Not that GRM is NASA's in house periodical, but in the SCCA every champion gets ink.........

As far as the advertisements go in the last issue, what you said may be the case. I have not looked at it recently, but Factory Five comes to mind and I believe there was at least another.

Don't misconstrue what I think about GRM, I think GRM rocks and I cant wait to see the $2007 Challenge issue.

BTW jacasual is THE MAN

Get notified of new replies

To More of Our Guys In GRM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More of Our Guys In GRM