Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Rotor and Caliper on the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Rotor and Caliper on the rear?

I thought i ran across a post that someone had mounted there front rotors and Calipers on the back of there car after they had upgraded there front. I don't recall if they made a custom braket or not.

If there is a bracket availble where can i purchase one?

Also what do you feel the pros or cons of this would be if you didn't upgrade the front and just did the Willwood Calipers that LG is selling for the stock size rotors. then moved a set of front rotors to the rear along with the Calipers that you now have?

Also if you are running the fronts on the rear there should be no reason you couldn't put the Willwoods on there also correct?

Or is this just gona cause to much over brakeing in the rear?

What if you bought the adjustable Brake cylinder from DRM that allows adjustment to the rear brakes this would help olivate that problem would it not?

Just thinking out loud here i guess since i have Purchased the Willwood kit from LG and i will have the stock from them and well i feel i could put them to good use mabey.

Opinions? thoughts? Answers?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Front OEM calipers can go on the back with the stock front brackets.

The piston volume will be to big for the master. Then you get a soft pedal. Some have done it but most do not like the feel of the pedal.

DRM uses stock front calipers on the rear with their AP setup and DRM master

You will have no E-brake.

I have SL-4 Wilwoods on the rear of mine NO e-brake.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
I thought i ran across a post that someone had mounted there front rotors and Calipers on the back of there car after they had upgraded there front. I don't recall if they made a custom braket or not.

If there is a bracket availble where can i purchase one?

Also what do you feel the pros or cons of this would be if you didn't upgrade the front and just did the Willwood Calipers that LG is selling for the stock size rotors. then moved a set of front rotors to the rear along with the Calipers that you now have?

Also if you are running the fronts on the rear there should be no reason you couldn't put the Willwoods on there also correct?

Or is this just gona cause to much over brakeing in the rear?

What if you bought the adjustable Brake cylinder from DRM that allows adjustment to the rear brakes this would help olivate that problem would it not?

Just thinking out loud here i guess since i have Purchased the Willwood kit from LG and i will have the stock from them and well i feel i could put them to good use mabey.

Opinions? thoughts? Answers?
Ratracer uses the stock fronts at all 4 wheel setup.He can tell you better than anyone
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by provette67
Ratracer uses the stock fronts at all 4 wheel setup.He can tell you better than anyone
RR likes it most don't
Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

ok so if you upgrade the mastercylinder that will solve the problem. an i lose my e-brake. what is the dislike with doing this?
to much rear brakeing? if thats the case then a DRM master is what you would want since you can adjust the amount of rear brakeing?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

I did it and am veyr happy with the results--ap 6pots up front and factory fronts on rear with upgraded master. randy rippie walked me through it and provided parts, my car stops like nobody's business now. no more parking brake but I don't mind that.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

no ebrake no inspection
Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
no ebrake no inspection
Granted i don't have to worry about inspections in this area so i shouldn't have to worry and the car gets more track time then it dose street time.

I'm sure there is probly a way to get the ebrake to work again just a matter of a little moddeing i suppose guess i can look into that when and if i get into this

thanks for the help everyone
Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had stock fronts all the way around my car for at least 6 years now with no problems. I never had any low pedal issues, I recently put a DRM master cylinder on the car due to changes planned for the off season. It takes outrageous pedal effort with my brake setup I dont mind it but I dont think most people would like the master cylinder with the stock front calipers on all 4 corners. I would stay stock with the master cylinder unless you are going to run larger front brakes and install the stock fronts in rear.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:42 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The guys above pretty much said it all.

Front to the rear, no extra parts need.
parking brake is gone.
Check out your setup when the fronts are on. If the pedal is too low give me a call and I can get you a master.

Randy
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know why people are saying the fronts in the rear promote low pedal hieght........tapered pads will cause low pedal hieght, and I think this is what most people have observed. Unfortuneatly the stock PBR calipers and wheel bearing hub flex will create pad taper so this is the pitfall to this set-up. My fronts will taper way worse than my rears (rear wheel bearings dont "move" like fronts ,not steering ). My brake pedal is tall and will throw you through the windshield when there is not taper and there isquality fluid in the system. Fronts in the rear help the lackluster brake bias the GM has deemed "safe" for a production vehicle. Obviously helps rotate the car on entry, autocrossers if they are allowed by the rules love this set-up.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 AM
DrBro
Advanced

I tried it when I put the 6p Wilwoods on the front. It worked fine on the street, great pedal feel, and as noted - no e brake. I found the lack of e brake to be a big pain when getting on/off trailers. My real gripe was that I got a lot more ABS flashes from the DIC on the track. I run full race rubber and H compound pads up front. An adjustable Master Cylinder would likely have solved that issue. Instead I went with the Baer +2 rear rotors and the stock rear calipers. This gave me perfect brake bias and extremely long rear brake life (and the e brake). Different solutions are possible, this one is a straight bolt on.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:55 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Red Gump
I did it and am veyr happy with the results--ap 6pots up front and factory fronts on rear with upgraded master. randy rippie walked me through it and provided parts, my car stops like nobody's business now. no more parking brake but I don't mind that.
this is the set up on my car too..great brakes and no fade..i don't miss the e-brake....plus they last alot longer than the stock rears
Johnny
Old 11-21-2007, 05:17 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Front OEM calipers can go on the back with the stock front brackets.

The piston volume will be to big for the master. Then you get a soft pedal. Some have done it but most do not like the feel of the pedal.

DRM uses stock front calipers on the rear with their AP setup and DRM master

You will have no E-brake.

I have SL-4 Wilwoods on the rear of mine NO e-brake.
John, I always trailer with it in neutral and the e-braek on so it doesn't bang the tranny. What do you do?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NavyVet
John, I always trailer with it in neutral and the e-braek on so it doesn't bang the tranny. What do you do?
I just strap it and it's in neutral. I have a tilt trailer so when I need to get out I just put it in 1st gear and it holds fine even when tilted.

Last edited by John Shiels; 11-21-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:15 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have run front calipers on all 4 corners for 3 years with no problems. I only have low pedal height when pads are well tapered. I think this is a good setup. Good value compared to what could be spent.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Rotor and Caliper on the rear?

Quick Reply: Front Rotor and Caliper on the rear?