Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some type of rollover protection with the least modification ?

Old 11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
monroepaul
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Some type of rollover protection with the least modification ?

As I'm going faster and faster at these HPDEs I'm starting to become more and more concerned about rollover and crash protection in my C5Z. I would like to put some type of roll bar in the car but I don't want to turn the car into a race car. I want to be able to put it back to stock at a later time. Any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2007, 10:18 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Well....I use this "HOOP" thing. It's called a "roll bar". It's good enough for all the vintage race organizations that I race with, and it's good enough for me.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DRM has a 4 point bar but it needs to be welded in and you need to remove or cut the carpet. I guess looking for a bolt in bars would be best but not as effective for protection unless engineered properly.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Roll over is the least of my concerns. Side impact, as in sliding in to tire or concreter walls and armco barriers are my concerns.

Protection for that comes from NASCAR door bars in a roll cage, and slowing down a bit.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Roll over is the least of my concerns. Side impact, as in sliding in to tire or concreter walls and armco barriers are my concerns.

That type of protection is a little more intrusive. C5Zs roll quite well as they are built...
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

In 20 years of racing, I've only seen 2 cars EVER roll over in person. However, I've seen plenty of cars catch fire or get sliced in 2 by being T-boned.

As long as you haven't modified the b-pillar hoops, don't get to worked up over roll protection.

In other words, I agree with the above.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Wolf 6 point bolt in roll bar available for sale. It has swing out/removable door bars for side impact protection. $300 plus shipping if you are interested. I just removed it from an '01 Z06 that I am returning to stock. I can send pic's if you are interested.
Shirl Dickey
Old 11-18-2007, 12:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Shirl's bar sounds like an ideal fit for your situation.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

roll over may be the LEAST of you guys' concerns, but it is in the FRONT of all HPDE sponsor concerns. I have an idea that is why the OP is asking about it. HPDE's routinely require rollover protection and NOT side impact protection.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrEracer
I have a Wolf 6 point bolt in roll bar available for sale. It has swing out/removable door bars for side impact protection. $300 plus shipping if you are interested. I just removed it from an '01 Z06 that I am returning to stock. I can send pic's if you are interested.
Shirl Dickey
I saw this before Shirl took it out. It's a very clean fit and does offer side protection. It's a heck of a deal for what you need.
Cheers,
CV
Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
roll over may be the LEAST of you guys' concerns, but it is in the FRONT of all HPDE sponsor concerns. I have an idea that is why the OP is asking about it. HPDE's routinely require rollover protection and NOT side impact protection.
Which always makes me question why "they" require "rollover protection and fire extinquishers"....important safety items to be sure - but they do not make you any "safer" in a C5Z.

I have seen several bars that have some sort of runner by the seats - the ones with "swing outs" normally do not meet road race requirements (if they have any).

I am going to have to do something one day on our primary track car for sure....
Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

the event Insurance companies require the roll over protection for convertibles.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
the event Insurance companies require the roll over protection for convertibles.

having hit trees in convertibles and flipped them off track that has my full endorsement

Get notified of new replies

To Some type of rollover protection with the least modification ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some type of rollover protection with the least modification ?