Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Street/Track Suspension upgrades?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Street/Track Suspension upgrades?

I’m looking to setup the Z for a semi street-able / track (road racing) suspension package. I’ve been recommended to Van Steel locally, and they recommend Hyperco HPT Springs, Van Steel Sway Bars and FSD Shocks. Does any one have any experience with this and/or similar setups? I asked about coilovers and they suggested that isn’t always the best solution (they claim their setup is more forgiving). A little history. The Z is not my daily driver (Less then 3K miles in a year). I’ve tracked it twice (and I’m hooked). I will upgrade the tires & wheels (CCW with R6’s) and possibly the brakes in the future. Any comments / ideas?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zee0hh6ix
... I asked about coilovers and they suggested that isn’t always the best solution (they claim their setup is more forgiving). ...
More forgiving? What does that mean?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:18 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 107 Likes on 43 Posts

I would go with the tires(R6) and wheels. But don't wait to do the brakes. I would do them before suspension upgrade or at least the same time. If you are driving it hard, the OEM brakes will not hold up well.

The suspension upgrade is a good idea, but first spend more money on seat time and schools so you can get the most out of your Z. And if I were to do a suspension upgrade, I would definitely go with coilovers.

Tom
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Z Fast
I would go with the tires(R6) and wheels. But don't wait to do the brakes. I would do them before suspension upgrade or at least the same time. If you are driving it hard, the OEM brakes will not hold up well.

The suspension upgrade is a good idea, but first spend more money on seat time and schools so you can get the most out of your Z. And if I were to do a suspension upgrade, I would definitely go with coilovers.

Tom
Seat time, and more expeience through schools or more events will do a lot more than going to a race suspension right now. After you get more experience in the car, then start with a good brake package and race tires. More seat time and then you can begin to sort out a suspension setup.

The idea behind seat time is to be able to get to a point where you can feel what the car is doing and how single step mods work (or don't work) for the car and you.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:42 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Upgrade the shocks to 04 Z06 or C6 Z06 shocks. Do a race alignment. Change the brake pads and fluid. Buy race wheels and either Kumho V710's or Hoosiers R6's.

That's it.

Steve
Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

My suggestion would be to run GM factory Z06 brake pads or Hawk HPS pads because both of these will be fine with street tires. If you go to more aggressive tires and brakes, you will likey have to swap them out before and after each event because they will be too harsh for any street driving. The cost of street tires is a lot less.

Learning to drive on street tires will make you a better driver because it keeps the limits of the car a little lower, allowing you to learn to slide and control the car at a lower speed. It will become obvious to you when you're ready for race tires. Not to mention it keeps tires from being a major part of your budget for your first season. A capable driver on street tires will run with most drivers on race tires, especially with your Z06.

When it comes to suspension the stock Z06 is very capable but very soft, so any mods you do, focus on firming up the car. HPT springs and a set of performance shocks are a good option, but for that amount of money you can get into a set of coil overs which give you more ride height flexibility, spring rate choices and a lighter weight package.

A good first upgrade for your Z06 would be a set of aftermarket sway bars like our Pfadt Competition Sway Bars. Things to consider with sway bars are adjustability and weight. The rate adjustability is very important for adjusting the balance of the car (oversteer/understeer), for different tire combinations, and different driving conditions.

As the others have said, seat time is the most important thing. Good luck!

-Aaron
Old 11-24-2007, 11:20 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

Having been where you are last year and done all of the upgrades in the wrong order. I would recommend, sharkbar and harnesses, then brakes (Brembo's or Stoptech's) , then wheels and tires and suspension and so on. Saftey first. Just my .02 JD
Note: For suspension I did go with Pfadt coilovers and Pfatty swaybars, great product for the money. Very happy with my choice.

Last edited by JDIllon; 11-25-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

My recommendation would be:

1. Run the car as is on street tires (GY F1 or Kumho MX) for at least 1-2 yrs to gain experience/improve driving skills ( I ran 2 yrs, 24 trackdays, before going to R compound tires.).

2. You may want to upgrade your brake pads (Hawk HPS or HP+, or another brand) and install DRM front brake ducts.

3. After you feel that you've reached your max performance with the Z06 suspension/street tires, THEN is the time to upgrade to R compound tires and suspenion upgrades. Upgrade your sway bars 1st, then think about whether yo want to go to a full T1 suspension or coil overs.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

After you do the necessary safety upgrades, and you have outgrown your stock suspension, give me a call personally and I will steer you right. (and left)

I think Joemoia has it right in terms of your progression.

Seriously, if you are going to step up your suspension then there is no reason to go half way. spending less money on a cheaper system is just money wasted because you will outgrow that also.

take advantage of all the upgrades that GM has developed over the years like the T1 bar set up. You will find that the brakes are more in need of an upgrade than the Factory set performance set up.

I don't like the GM race Springs but Hypercoil does have a great new composite leaf spring set up that is really nice. It is used by Bondurant in their school Corvettes.

Then if you feel that you need something more then you can upgrade to our LG Coil over package that is the same as we used on our World Challenge race car and is unmatched in the Corvette world right now.

And if you are planning on going all out, there are always the Penske or Koni Adjustable coil over pacakges but they cost plenty.

Feel free to call me and we can discuss your options.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran my Z51 stock until the Super Cars were bald.

Then I met Aaron Pfadt one day at the track and was sold.

I am now on the second generation Pfadt coil overs and Pfatty sways, very nice products.

I now run R compound tires for the last few events and it is very different from street tires. You really get into a comfort zone with street tires as they give you plenty of warining before they get loose.

R compounds will surprise the hell out of you.

My newbie advice is to get a good seat and harness setup. That will probably take the most off your time while you wear out what youve got.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

I fully agree with everything in the last three posts.

1. At your experience level, the one thing that will improve your lap times the most is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and more PRACTICE. Do not install any performance upgrades on the car UNTIL YOU KNOW that you can't get any faster without them. That should take a minimum of 15 to 20 track days. If you can't wait that long, if you absolutely must spend money on the car now, then you should install a few SAFETY items, like brake ducts, a racing seat, and a 5/6 point harness. (You can get all three of those for less money than a suspension kit.)

2. See number 1. Only when the performance of the driver can't get much better, should you start improving the performance of the car.

3. Corvettes already have good suspensions, but their stock tires are not adequate for track duty. Therefore, the first mod to the car should be R compound tires. Do a few more track days to get used to them. Then you should start thinking about the second mod, which should be suspension upgrades.

When you are finally ready to upgrade your suspension, then it is best to go with a complete suspension kit. Installing three parts from three different vendors will probably result in a horribly mis-matched (poor performing) mess. One of the above posters recommended the Pfadt suspension kit and the other recommended a complete setup from LG. Take their advice, not the advice of some small shop that just wants to make money selling and installing parts.

I use a small Harbor Freight trailer towed behind my car to get my race tires (and wheels) to the track. And I swap out my stock seat for my race seat the day before a track event, and swap back when I get home. This is how I keep my Corvette as a daily driver and a weekend track car.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 11-30-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I know your just starting out.....but this is some gooood reading, not to mention some very good words of wisdom to remember in the future..........
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1875320

I've been tracking my C5 for 4 year now, the last 3 have been in the advance group and I'm still running with a stock coupe with Z51 suspension. I went with sticky tires only after moving into the top run group just because I believe in what has already been stated.......Learn to Drive First!

The cheapest and fastest way to improve lap times........is seat time (but do go for the safety stuff now)

If you think you need to spend money to go fast, check this vid out. This is my "Poor-Boy" C5 with used sticky tires ($50 each) running down a new C6-Z. I learned later that one of the instructors was driving, showing the student what the car would do. He's on stock F1's but I'm giving up 155 Pony's, and it shows down the straights.

Sorry for the camera quality, it's a $30 helmet cam.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...6WithSound.flv

Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get some stiff LGM coil-overs and you are done. It does not take long to over run a stock suspension. After running on the track running on the street is for some like myself .

Get notified of new replies

To Buying Street/Track Suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying Street/Track Suspension upgrades?