Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling and racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Active handling and racing

As a result of seeing my active handling flashing on and off from time to time, I took it to the dealer today to have it checked. THey ended up pulling 18 codes in my history. My question is, can all the racing I did in the past cause that? I never used AH in any of my autox or track days, I turn them completely off. I found it strange to have 18 codes when the car runs fine. Any idea?

Symtoms are, active handling light and service handling message kicks in from time to time. Doesnt stay on after restarts, runs fine after.

THe dealer told me to drive it for a week and bring it back so they can see what codes are there.

This is an 05 C6 Z51
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b

Symtoms are, active handling light and service handling message kicks in from time to time. Doesnt stay on after restarts, runs fine after.
Time to change your wheel bearings. I get all those codes right before the bearing goes out. My guess most of the wires to the AH sensors are just about melted causing crossed connection once in a while.

Then look at the back side of the bearing for cracks. I bet you will find big ones.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Bearings going at 5000 miles?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tmak26b
Bearings going at 5000 miles?
mileage has little to do with if you have been tracking your car. High speed, high lateral forces cornering on the bearings will cause them to weaken.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Time to change your wheel bearings. I get all those codes right before the bearing goes out. My guess most of the wires to the AH sensors are just about melted causing crossed connection once in a while.

Then look at the back side of the bearing for cracks. I bet you will find big ones.
I've never had a Vette hub apart. Where do you see the cracks? Is it in the races, the bearing retainer or the rollers themselves?

I see codes nearly each time I race but not daily in between events. I'll have to take a closer look at the wires and pull a wheel or four.

Thanks for the heads-up.

--Dan
Old 11-20-2007, 01:28 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
mileage has little to do with if you have been tracking your car. High speed, high lateral forces cornering on the bearings will cause them to weaken.
Can you offer some general guidance as to how often to inspect or change? maybe wheel studs too? I've only done one HPDE and will probably do 3 this year, so not a lot of track time.

steve
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dbratten
I've never had a Vette hub apart. Where do you see the cracks? Is it in the races, the bearing retainer or the rollers themselves?

I see codes nearly each time I race but not daily in between events. I'll have to take a closer look at the wires and pull a wheel or four.

Thanks for the heads-up.

--Dan
Yes Dan

Take the front wheels off, turn the the brake rotor / hub so you can look behind the bearing. Take off the brake rotor too. use a flashlight and look for hair line cracks around the flange. Front and back.

Check the wires. Many times there is so much heat generated that the insulation on the wires melts causing occasional electrical shorts.

All those codes may also just be dirty connections. Take apart the ABS wires, clean the socket and reconect. I did this a few times and the codes went away for quite a while.
Then all of a suden the codes would not leave or be reset. took everything apart and found a cracked flange on the bearing. So I replaced all four.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You probably won't see cracks or anything like that. Normally you will hear a "groan" coming from other than the passenger seat - those are the wheel bearings.

Generally speaking, you'll need to replace them all once a year, especially if you are using racing tires. You can probably get two years using street tires. Any more than that, consider yourself very fortunate.

Those things are really flaky. They can just go bad on you and start throwing codes. Once you start hearing that groan or growl coming from a corner, just go ahead and replace it.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wtknght1
You probably won't see cracks or anything like that. Normally you will hear a "groan" coming from other than the passenger seat - those are the wheel bearings.

Generally speaking, you'll need to replace them all once a year, especially if you are using racing tires. You can probably get two years using street tires. Any more than that, consider yourself very fortunate.

Those things are really flaky. They can just go bad on you and start throwing codes. Once you start hearing that groan or growl coming from a corner, just go ahead and replace it.
Chris, regarding your comment about replacing wheel bearings every year or 2 depending on tires, are your stating this for the C5 only? Do you know any history on the C6 Z06?

Thanks, Geoff
Old 11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

That's been my experience with the C5s. But, from what I understand, the C6 bearings are the same. As soon as Phoenix finishes my hot rod and I start racing it, I'll let you know how they do.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This might be a function of how hard you push and folks new to the
track don't push hard. They may think it's pushing but really until you
get a few years experience you probably aren't going that fast. I've
got a C5 coupe with 74k miles, over 100 track days in 4.5 years on
track out of the 6 years I've owned it. One rear wheel bearing went
bad at around 55k miles, the rest are fine so far. I did find that the
torx 55 bolts holding the hub on weren't all tight to spec when MSI
did new brake lines about 2 years ago. Just another perspective.
Randy
Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Oh absolutely. You'll find that the closer to 10/10ths you get, the more stuff will break...including the driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling and racing

Quick Reply: Active handling and racing