Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering front C4 ..... help please

Old 11-24-2007, 12:53 AM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default lowering front C4 ..... help please

hey guys,

what would be a way to lower the front to the max before going to a coilover kit. i was thinking of taking all the rubber on the spring, the metal shims, and the flat aluminum braket. pretty much having the spring rest on the crossmember.

could this be done?

would this drop the car lower than 1inch?

i was told the spring rate changes, how so?

now the car is pretty much a full drag car with very little street use, i know by the spring resting on the crossmember it causes more stress but you think it would be fine since it does not see much street use ? thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 08:44 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

When I dropped the front end of my ZR-1 we pulled the spring out. Cut off the rubber bumpers just shy of hitting the fiberglass on the spring. We then put two of the plastic or phonelic blocks that Mid-America sells where the rubber bumpers were. This way the spring was not in contact with the metal frame. I had to cut the metal braces that hold the spring in place before we put it all back together.
This dropped the front end about an inch or so. It was exactly what I wanted. I have pictures at home but I'm in Asia now and won't be home until Xmas. Hit me up then if you want some pictures of the process.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are also rubber pads on the ends of the spring where they contact the lower A-arm. Those pads too can be removed. Just remember to add a thin layer of wear material (UHMWPE, Delrin, etc) to either the end of the spring or the web on the A-arm to reduce friction.

I have not done this yet to my ax/tt car but plan to this winter and believe it is common among C4s.

I am also working on developing a kit with Gary @ Hardbar to retrofit C4s so they can be adjusted for ride hieght from side to side in the front, which should also allow for corner wieghting. Please stay tuned.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:43 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastZR1
Cut off the rubber bumpers just shy of hitting the fiberglass on the spring. We then put two of the plastic or phonelic blocks that Mid-America sells where the rubber bumpers were. This way the spring was not in contact with the metal frame.
there should be something between the fiberglass and the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To lowering front C4 ..... help please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lowering front C4 ..... help please