Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inquiry: Lightweight Wheels and R Compound Tires for C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
gymdent
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inquiry: Lightweight Wheels and R Compound Tires for C6

I'm new to this forum and could not locate the autocross section on my girlfriends old computer still running Windows 98 (!) so I posted this in the tech section and have been referred here. Sorry for double posting! Life is so much better with my Mac!

I plan on ordering a new C6 in late January to use primarily for autocrossing and track events, with the occasional pleasure drive. I'd like to keep in SCCA Super Stock class when autocrossing. Can anyone recommend a good quality, light weight, reasonably priced wheel in stock size and where can they be purchased?

Also, any recommendation for a good R compound DOT tire that'll fit stock sized rims? I'm aware that some can be used for the street and others only at events due to problems with heat cycling and durability. If possible I'd like to drive to the track or autocross on them. I don't imagine it's possible to carry 4 wheels/tires in the Vette.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Steve

P.S.
This'll be a big change from my CSP 99 Miata!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CCW for wheels
Old 11-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Hoosier A6 or Kumho v710 for tires
Old 11-25-2007, 06:57 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default wheels

I agree with John.

CCW is the way to go. Great product and great service.

I have been running their wheels for 5 years now, with some off track excursions and they are still true and work great.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
UberR32
Pro

I'd pick up a set of OEM wheels. IIRC, it'd be tough to find CCW wheels in the same diameter/width and less than 0.25" offset difference. Plus, you can buy a used set of OEM wheels for next to nothing.

Regarding tires, if you want to maintain the correct F/R diameters, use the Hoosier A6 in 275/35-18 and 325/30-19. If I was going to buy tires tho, I'd probably run the Kumho 245/35-18 in front because they're cheaper, stickier, and last longer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r&tireModel=A6

Last edited by UberR32; 11-25-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
gymdent
Navigator

How do most guys carry an extra set of 4 wheels/tires to an event? They won't fit inside the car, will they?

The one problem, for sure, with Hoosiers is that they cannot be driven on the street.

Thank you all for your help!
Steve
Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 PM
gymdent
Navigator

Default OEM Wheels

Where's the best place to look for these in terms of cost?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdent
How do most guys carry an extra set of 4 wheels/tires to an event? They won't fit inside the car, will they?

The one problem, for sure, with Hoosiers is that they cannot be driven on the street.

Thank you all for your help!
Steve
This is one way, unless you get a car trailer and a truck...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1817296

Last edited by 69autoXr; 11-25-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 PM
gymdent
Navigator

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
This is one way, unless you get a car trailer and a truck...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1817296
I would not trust one of their trailers. Presently, I've autocrossed a Miata in CSP for 7 years and have had friends who have lost wheels and axles on them.

This company is pricey, but I believe their trailers are extremely well made:

http://sstrailers.com
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to stay in SS it will be tough.
If I were going to compete seriously in my C6 in SCCA AX, I would go to ASP and slap a set of 18X10-10.5 Front and 18X11-11.5 CCW C10 with a set of stickys,

some LG headers, Fast intake , tune, Hyperco race leafs with LG valved Bilsteins or penskes valved by Gary from Hardbar and go take ASP by storm.

IMO a regular C6 cannot be competitive in SS at the national level because of the narrow front wheels. C5Z06/C6Z06 have much more grip so you are at a disadvantage to them, without that extra grip you will certainly lose out to the agility of the Elise or GT3.

Last edited by C6400hp; 11-25-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 PM
gymdent
Navigator

Originally Posted by C6400hp
If you want to stay in SS it will be tough.
If I were going to compete seriously in my C6 in SCCA AX, I would go to ASP and slap a set of 18X10-10.5 Front and 18X11-11.5 CCW C10 with a set of stickys,

some LG headers, Fast intake , tune, Hyperco race leafs with LG valved Bilsteins or penskes valved by Gary from Hardbar and go take ASP by storm.

IMO a regular C6 cannot be competitive in SS at the national level because of the narrow front wheels. C5Z06/C6Z06 have much more grip so you are at a disadvantage to them, without that extra grip you will certainly lose out to the agility of the Elise or GT3.
I appreciate the advice and will take your suggestions into consideration. I think, however, with this car I plan on being more of a weekend warrior autocrossing, nothing national, and doing track events with the PDA and the like.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 PM
gymdent
Navigator

What I'm beginning to understand is that with this car there are not a lot of choices when it comes to R compound tires that will fit the stock rims. Is that correct?

What tires that fit stock rim sizes do most guys use who drive (not trailer) their car to track events and autocrosses?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I'm beginning to understand is that with this car there are not a lot of choices when it comes to R compound tires that will fit the stock rims. Is that correct?
Yes, Correct

What tires that fit stock rim sizes do most guys use who drive (not trailer) their car to track events and autocrosses?

Most guys that drive their car to track events either go on street tires or change to 18" wheels all around. If you want to stick with the 18"F 19" R setup. The only true R compound available is Hoosier, which as you know are not real streetable. You can go with Michelin pilot sport cups, Pirelli Corsa, for a tire that you can drive to events and still have much more performance than a street tire but they will be much slower than the Hoosiers.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:33 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I would not trust one of their trailers. Presently, I've autocrossed a Miata in CSP for 7 years and have had friends who have lost wheels and axles on them.

This company is pricey, but I believe their trailers are extremely well made:

http://sstrailers.com
I have no experience with any brand of small tire trailer, I was only using it as an example of one option. It seems that you are well aware of your options for getting tires to events.

Get notified of new replies

To Inquiry: Lightweight Wheels and R Compound Tires for C6

Quick Reply: Inquiry: Lightweight Wheels and R Compound Tires for C6