Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mixing brake pad brands

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default mixing brake pad brands

Have been running Hawk dtc70 on a C6 z for 1-2 track days/month, backs seem to last froever and not make much difference, I want to run Carbtech xp-12s when the hawks in front need replacing (2-4 more days). IS there anything terrible about doing this for a while? Are the carbotechs that much better? Thanks in adavance
Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I just ran carbotechs XP12 in the front for the first time. I was at VIR full with Audi. I have Hawk HT 10's in the rear. No issues. I LOVE the XP-12's! 80% of your braking os from up front. As I have been informed, your ABS computer will make up for any difference. I ran that combination for the very same reason. I hated to take off pads with 75% life left in them. It worked well. I ran with traction control off so I did not have it activating the back brakes just in case.

HTH
Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm really not a shill for LGM, but I recommend that you try his new Cobalt race pads on the front.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last two events I've had PFC 01s up front and Wilwood H in the rear (C6 non-Z) without issue. All I can really say is putting the Hs on the back made the car happier than having PFC Z-compound back there (with 01s up front).
Old 11-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

I know the purists are going to cringe, but I have run different race compound pads on the same axle and even once different pad types on the inner and outer face of the rotor. When I burn up the pads at the track and still have a few sessions to run, I swap in whatever is handy and keep running. The brakes were still pretty good, much better than my prior laps on the backing plates! I agree with the others, it will be just fine.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

As long as the two compounds are not on the same rotor your fine. I ran so many different combinations over the years from front to rear of different brands with no problems.

The advantage to running the same compound on the C6Z both front and rear is that you can interchange the pads from rear to front. I find the leading paddlet in the front tends to wear the fastest before the middle or last paddlet. I ran XP12's all around and was able to continually pull the more worn pads from the front and replace them with less worn pads from the rear to get more overall use from the pads. I would keep an eye on which paddlet wore the fastest and keep switching it around. I found this helped me get another couple days out of the pads. If I went with 2 seperate compounds, I would not be able to do this and would be buying pads more frequently.

The only downside is that I prefer running a less aggressive pad in the rear to balance the car under trail braking. When I ran the same pad in the rear as the front, the rear became a little twitch entering fast corners than if I ran a 12 in the front and a 10 in the rear, but like I said you lose the ability to switch them around, which with pad wear on the C6Z is critical.

Get notified of new replies

To mixing brake pad brands

Quick Reply: mixing brake pad brands