Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorsports club's complex taking shape

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Motorsports club's complex taking shape

November 28, 2007 Cincinnati Enquirer

GALLATIN COUNTY - Newly planted wooden stakes dot the Gallatin County landscape where the Bluegrass Motorsports Club plans to build its exclusive road course for sports-car and motorcycle enthusiasts.

A focus group that included auto racing architect Paxton Waters and former Formula One and Indy Car driver Derek Daly recently finished the plans for a versatile circuit that in its longest configuration will cover 3.65 miles with a 4,000-foot front straightaway and a 2,500-foot backstretch.

"We've really put so much emphasis on the track," said Brad Poppell, president of the Bluegrass Motorsports Club & Road Course.

"There are a lot of things we put into it that were just very labor intensive. ... We're trying to address all these different concerns to make sure this is a track for everyone."

The Derek Daly Design course at Bluegrass Motorsports Club will feature signature curves - there's an 11-degree banked turn called the "Monza" and another resembling the tricky Eau Rouge found at the Spa circuit in Belgium - and can be divided into 12 primary tracks capable of being configured 104 ways.

The club announced in October that Daly would be involved in the project.

"Bringing Derek aboard did put us back because we kind of brought him in near the end of the game when we already had the design," Poppell said.

"But when I first met him he said, 'Brad, where are your signature corners?' I just kind of looked at him and said, 'Derek, that's a great question. We need to talk.'

"I actually call that a positive delay in our project. It delayed us but I think it made it for the better."

The $16-million development gained zoning approval from Gallatin County officials in September and construction is expected to begin early next year.

The majority of those who have joined the club hail from the Cincinnati- Lexington-Louisville triangle but the club also has accepted new members from Indianapolis, Dayton and Columbus.

"We're about 60-plus percent done with engineering," Poppell said. "So as soon as we finish up engineering, we'll be locked and loaded and ready to go to break ground. I would love to look at the end of December, but I think that's really pushing it."

Sam
Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Any website available with track layout and plans ?? Would like to know if it would be worth a 10 hour tow to run at the facility.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Any website available with track layout and plans ?? Would like to know if it would be worth a 10 hour tow to run at the facility.
http://www.drivebluegrass.com/
Old 11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We built a steel plant near there, Gallatin steel. It's a pretty area, should have some good elevation change!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I like this :
there's an 11-degree banked turn called the "Monza" and another resembling the tricky Eau Rouge found at the Spa circuit in Belgium
Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. I might have to look into a membership. Thats only about 4hrs from me.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Z06_505
November 28, 2007 Cincinnati Enquirer

GALLATIN COUNTY - Newly planted wooden stakes dot the Gallatin County landscape where the Bluegrass Motorsports Club plans to build its exclusive road course for sports-car and motorcycle enthusiasts.

A focus group that included auto racing architect Paxton Waters and former Formula One and Indy Car driver Derek Daly recently finished the plans for a versatile circuit that in its longest configuration will cover 3.65 miles with a 4,000-foot front straightaway and a 2,500-foot backstretch.

"We've really put so much emphasis on the track," said Brad Poppell, president of the Bluegrass Motorsports Club & Road Course.

"There are a lot of things we put into it that were just very labor intensive. ... We're trying to address all these different concerns to make sure this is a track for everyone."

The Derek Daly Design course at Bluegrass Motorsports Club will feature signature curves - there's an 11-degree banked turn called the "Monza" and another resembling the tricky Eau Rouge found at the Spa circuit in Belgium - and can be divided into 12 primary tracks capable of being configured 104 ways.

The club announced in October that Daly would be involved in the project.

"Bringing Derek aboard did put us back because we kind of brought him in near the end of the game when we already had the design," Poppell said.

"But when I first met him he said, 'Brad, where are your signature corners?' I just kind of looked at him and said, 'Derek, that's a great question. We need to talk.'

"I actually call that a positive delay in our project. It delayed us but I think it made it for the better."

The $16-million development gained zoning approval from Gallatin County officials in September and construction is expected to begin early next year.

The majority of those who have joined the club hail from the Cincinnati- Lexington-Louisville triangle but the club also has accepted new members from Indianapolis, Dayton and Columbus.

"We're about 60-plus percent done with engineering," Poppell said. "So as soon as we finish up engineering, we'll be locked and loaded and ready to go to break ground. I would love to look at the end of December, but I think that's really pushing it."

Sam
I can't wait to be the first to pass you, Len and RaftRacer on the Straight.

Well,
Maybe you and Len

Well,

Maybe I just stay in the paddock and wash your windshield when you come in
Old 11-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Z06_505
Pro

Originally Posted by WNeal
I can't wait to be the first to pass you, Len and RaftRacer on the Straight.

Well,
Maybe you and Len

Well,

Maybe I just stay in the paddock and wash your windshield when you come in
Once you get that new Z06, you'll at least have a 50/50 chance
Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

Hoping to hold an event at the new track later this fall.

Will post it up if this takes place.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Bill!

When is their (Bluegrass) expected completion date?

joel
Old 04-01-2008, 11:38 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

The Official ground breaking is 4-10-08 with tentative asphalt completion later this fall.

Looks like the first real event will be in March of 09.

I had the pleasure of having lunch with the owner Brad Poppell on Saturday and can tell you, he is planning a world class track and it is already coming to life.

10/10ths registrants in 08 will get the first shot at the first 10/10ths event at the new Track in 09.

Check out our 6-7-08 event will give you up to 5.5 hours of track time. Only two run groups

Get notified of new replies

To Motorsports club's complex taking shape

Quick Reply: Motorsports club's complex taking shape