Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had the hood almost blow off

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Has anyone had the hood almost blow off

This is kind of a weird question, I just got back from Roebling Rd, this past weekend, I have a 04 Z06 commemorative edition, Z16 with the Carbon fiber hood, I had a friend of mine take some pictures of me coming down the fron straight, historically, I had heard the hood rumbling at the end of the front straight, but in the pictures the front of the hood, along the front bumper, and right behind the front head lights, the front leading edge of the hood is literally lifted up about an inch behind the headlights, and about 1/2 an inch behind the front bumper, the only thing holding the hood on is the two hinges in the front and the obviously the locks in the back of the hood, the hood literally looks like its about to come off on the front of the car, I've done a bunch of Drivers eds, and am going to Daytona in Dec. with the audi club, I am wondering if the air is getting under the hood from the gaps around the headlights and front bumper, or coming from underneath, the car has never been wrecked, so the body lines are all good, I dont know if I should duck tape the gaps up front, or what, I have some pictures but I dont know how to attach the photos..had this happened or happening to anyone else, I have a picture of a friends Z06 and his hood is fine, but his is a 03 with a regular hood...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hoods will move around a little, but definitely NOT 1/2 an inch in the front of the hood. Check the fitment of the front hinges, make sure everything is tight.

if you email the picture to me i can host it for you: wah(at)jhu.edu
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Apparently some do it more than others.

Picture was taken by me as the car went by at 158 for a mile shootout event.

Car at rest.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

christ, that thing is floppin around. I guess the CF hoods arent heavy enough...

Last edited by wallyman424; 11-28-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the hood on both my '02 ZO6 and '99 FRC lift up ~140mph and really start to vibrate to the fastest I have been (~168). Cannot see the front edge - but the back and sides really are pushed up.

I have put a vented CF hood on the FRC but it has not been track tested at high speed yet...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffvette

Car at rest.

It appears that car is lowered in the back, but not the front. It probably catches a lot more air this way and no downforce on the hood.

GM engineered the car to be a little lower on the front so this does not happen.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jeffvette

Car at rest.

Hahhh, thats it, thats exactly it, so what do you do to fix that, since we took a sequence of pics done the front straight, at the beginning, I estimate I was doing around 110 to 129ish and as the car got closer you could see the hood coming up higher, I estimate I'm doing 150ish at the end of the straight,..I am going to Daytona in December, and I anticipate 160 +, any ideas on what to do ????
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Your C5 should have 1/4 to 1/2 inch rake (rear higher than front). These measurements are made at the front and rear of the flat portion of the chassis under the car on a flat surface.

Lowering the rear more than the front is a no-no for high speed driving.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wallyman424
the hoods will move around a little, but definitely NOT 1/2 an inch in the front of the hood. Check the fitment of the front hinges, make sure everything is tight.

if you email the picture to me i can host it for you: wah(at)jhu.edu
Just sent you the picture, thanks for the help
Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If yours is like the one in the picture, it looks like you might trapping a lot of air under the front end with nose high attitude. Maybe you should check to see that the front of the frame is a little lower than the rear to help out.

I noticed my hood fluttering at the back around 140+ last year at Road America. 2002 Z06. Could be the C.F. is not as rigid as the stock heavy hood?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Z06 hood flutter

"They all do that"
Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

that just doesnt look right
Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424

that just doesnt look right
yes a lot of lift, check the tire to wheelhouse clearance!
Check the rake and maybe open the fender vents
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

common problem. Lower the front adjustment bumpers on the hood if you can, to get it below the bumper/headlight line.

if not, you need to tape the leading edge and/or install hood pins.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Your C5 should have 1/4 to 1/2 inch rake (rear higher than front). These measurements are made at the front and rear of the flat portion of the chassis under the car on a flat surface.

Lowering the rear more than the front is a no-no for high speed driving.
Frank is correct here.

I had my normal hood bounce up and down and all over the place at speeds above 145. Then I changed the rake of the car to 3/8" which helpd. The hood still dances somewhat, but not that much
Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's an old thread discussing this issue:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=hood+lifting

Measure your rake and get back to us.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

SCCA race at MidOhio 2007.
That hurt, lost front hood pins.....broken hood, cracked windshield, bad weekend.

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 11-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The problem isn't just air build up under the hood. It is a compound effect of the air coming in through the grille and the air deflected over the front fascia which continues upward in an arc and comes back down at the base of the windshield creating a low pressure area over most of the hood and quite a high pressure area at base of the windshield. The high pressure area is why the old L88 C3 cars had their hood scoops facing to the rear and why current NASCAR stock cars get their carb air from the base of the windshield. This is also why the air intakes for the HVAC system are at the base of the windshield.

Increasing the rear rake can mimimally reduce the lift and bleeding air from under the hood can probably reduce it more but there may be side effects that I don't know about. Since this is a problem for all cars I would suspect that bleeding air from under the hood has detriments as I don't know of many race cars that bleed the air from under the hood.

Bill
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The problem isn't just air build up under the hood. It is a compound effect of the air coming in through the grille and the air deflected over the front fascia which continues upward in an arc and comes back down at the base of the windshield creating a low pressure area over most of the hood and quite a high pressure area at base of the windshield. The high pressure area is why the old L88 C3 cars had their hood scoops facing to the rear and why current NASCAR stock cars get their carb air from the base of the windshield. This is also why the air intakes for the HVAC system are at the base of the windshield.

Increasing the rear rake can mimimally reduce the lift and bleeding air from under the hood can probably reduce it more but there may be side effects that I don't know about. Since this is a problem for all cars I would suspect that bleeding air from under the hood has detriments as I don't know of many race cars that bleed the air from under the hood.

Bill
What do you think about duck taping the front air ducts/grill, and maybe duck taping the leading edges of the hood...

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone had the hood almost blow off

Quick Reply: Has anyone had the hood almost blow off