Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter prep....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter prep....

For those in cold weather, I could use some advise on winter storage. As we don't run antifreeze, I've drained the rad and block. She is up on stands. Anything else needed?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

When I store my boat for the winter I drain and then fill with red RV antifreeze used for potable water systems, just to keep the seals and rubber parts that are normally wet lubed. Otherwise I've had problems with rubber parts gluing to the adjacent metal and subsequently tearing on the next startup; also minimizes cracking. Flushes out easily with water, no problem draining it into the yard, and is available everywhere.

Put the battery on a maintenance charger (Battery Tender is a popular brand), change the oil (to get rid of any acids sitting in the bottom of the engine), put a cover over her and say "Goodnight, Gracie".

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

besides removing the rocker shafts to save the springs (I do that between races) I remove the plugs and squirt some light 10W oil in the cylinders, turn the motor over a couple of times, repete and put a set of old used up plugs back in...I also store my carb inside a plastic bag in the basement.
redvetracr
Old 11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

I like to pull my batteries and store them inside with tender.
I also drain the water out but I refill with 50/50 antifreeze because of the rust inhibitors. I don't know how much this helps but it makes me feel better.
I drain the 50/50 in the spring and save it for the next year.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
For those in cold weather, I could use some advise on winter storage. As we don't run antifreeze, I've drained the rad and block. She is up on stands. Anything else needed?
I always make sure there is rat bait in the corner of the shop. I also take care of the battery, a tender is nice. Changing the oil is best before storage. I throw some nox ice in the tank too. That is about it.

I am not sure I would leave the coolant system drained, rust could develop quickly.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Winter storage

Change oil, hook up the CTEK and turn on the heater in the garage to keep it at a snug 65 degrees all winter. In-the-wall propane heater was the best investment I made in the garage. C5 XTC
Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard some folks run marine oil (AMSOIL makes such a product) in anything that doesn't run that often (like a racecar). It might make sense to run it in your corvette if you are going to put it up for the winter. Such oil has more rust inhibitor than regular.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

if you are storing in cold climates, you absolutely need to put antifreeze back in. Water will sit in the block, in spots you can't drain, and can cause major damage.

My car is currently stored in an covered, yet open shed, so when it get's cold, I want to make sure nothing cracks. Antifreeze is the safest bet. Just flush it out with clean water in the spring.

btw, I don't know about yous guys up north, but we'll be back on track mid Feb at VIR. They race all year in Florida. Instead of going into storage, just come down south and race.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

btw, I don't know about yous guys up north, but we'll be back on track mid Feb at VIR. They race all year in Florida. Instead of going into storage, just come down south and race.
I am with David.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Snuckley
Racer

Moth ***** or toilet cakes with the wire hanger from dollar store are handy to hang in engine compartment to keep mice out.. mice love to feast on wiring and make homes in autos in storage...
Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I am with David.
Braggers!!!

Seriously, I did a dumb thing last week--I drove my Vette to the airport and parked it in the parking deck on the lowest level (still exposed to the outside) there while I was gone. The temps did get into the teens briefly a couple of nights I think. And yes I forgot I only had water in the rad! I got lucky and had no damage.

I'm going to now ignorantly ask what happens if the water does freeze radiator? Is there some kind of plug? How long does it take to freeze (I'm sure that depends on the temp/wind, etc of course)?

My car's gonna be inside but I will need to switch to coolant if I drive it on nice (non snowy ) days!

Thanks!

Anita
Old 11-30-2007, 07:24 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

A, a frozen radiator would be the least of your problems...how about a cracked block?....
redvetracr
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, that sounds much worse!

(OH! I should be clear too! It wasn't 100% water in there, but the mix was not 50 50, so definitely not optimal. See I'm not totally mental LOL)

Last edited by Z06 Whisperer; 11-30-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter prep....

Quick Reply: Winter prep....