Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big thanks to all who helped us compete in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Life is Good Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big thanks to all who helped us compete in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Hello all,

I wanted to sincerely thank all who helped in the preparation and running of this year's 25 Hours of Thunderhill in our Porsche LS951 (PorVette). For those of you who haven't seen the threads previously, some info and pics can be seen here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2640341/1.

I especially want to thank our sponsors you would know:
Pfadt Race Engineering - for great sways and spherical bearings
and a great co-driver in Aaron Pfadt
Stoptech brakes and Pro Parts USA - for brakes that went the distance,
stopping well and not even needing a pad or rotor change
Exedy clutch - Twin disk that was great
RPM transmissions - for making a great level V tranny and differential
that went the distance and earned the love of the drivers

In addition Anthony at LG Motorsports has been invaluable in his help over the phone in helping us get set up and even troubleshoot various issues. He went out of his way to rebuild and immediately send back an LG tranny/differential pump when ours got damaged due to losing our stock differential a couple months ago. The pump worked great and we had no issues with it during the long, 25 Hour race.

Aaron (Pfadt Race Engineering) was especially great, as he had excellent knowledge of the Corvette suspension to help us dial in our car. He was also a very solid and fast driver, qualifying well and managing to both drive fast and keep from getting hit...which is more than the rest of us were able to do. After starting the race and finishing the first stint of 1hr. 45 min. I believe that Aaron had worked up from the 10th place qualifying spot (out of 72 entries) up to 4th or 5th place Overall.

We had an excellent plan for 1hr. 45 minutes for our first round of stints, and then 2hr 15 minute stints after that. The drivers and the car did well to carry these out, though we had quite a challenge as we were hit numerous times during the race. Thankfully we had an incredible crew (which included Corvette Z06 owner and incredible volunteer Mel Hinshaw...thanks Mel!!) who did everything necessary, though all hours of the cold, windy night, to keep us on the track. Their determination to get us to the finish line was awesome.

After a couple of the smaller hits, which caused a little damage such as losing our splitter and front downforce on the fast turns, our drivers used some long stints and steady driving to work us back up to 20th or so. Our real challenge came at about 1245am when after about a long night stint, I was keeping a steady, good pace when I was hit hard on the left rear by the Daytona Prototype in turn 8 (the second fastest turn of the track). He was trying to keep a Norma (european sports racer which set fastest lap of the race) behind him and the closing speeds were incredible. He tried to put traffic between them and did a stupid move, which sent me and our car off track very fast, careening through the dirt and small hills to the right. By the time I came to a rest, the car's nose was sticking through a wire fence that is used to keep cattle out of the area!

So I wondered if we got lucky for some reason and tried backing up...so far so good...then I tried turning the wheel one direction...ok seems to turn ok...now let's try the other...hmmm, the wheel is turning 180 degrees, but I'm still moving straight...not a good sign and not what I want to be entering a hot track with to try to get back to the pits. So with this we lost about an hour in being towed and in the pits, where our crew straightened a severely bent tow link in the rear. Thankfully they hit hard on the wheel, so the body was pretty good.

Big thanks to John and Chip at CCW! Their Corsair wheels are TOUGH!! We got hit hard on 3 different corners, with each of the hits centering on the wheels, with none of them breaking or bending.

While we were disappointed to lose about 3 hours of track time in these and other unplanned pit stops due mostly to being hit, we still were able to complete 522 laps which means over 1500 miles...a true testament to the car, the crew and the great Chevy powerplant and drivetrain!

Hopefully Aaron will come on and post his impressions and experiences, with a more detailed race report. I really just want to give my thanks to everyone who gave input on past threads.

For those interested from an accusump thread on here, we installed one on our stock engine (when our forged engine order didn't get delivered when promised), and it kept a good, steady oil pressure and the engine ran great all race.

We can't wait for next year when Aaron and I hope to campaign a Team with a Pfadt Race Engineering Corvette as well as our Porsche LS 951 (PorVette).

Thanks again to all who helped!!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have followed your race news. Good job you guys!

I wish I was there.

Fastest regards,

Oli
Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job guys. Yea, cold and windy ThunderHill in December. I bet it was a little warmed this year than usual. I crewed last year and had to do an engine change but at least we had a garage rented. In 2003, I don't think the temp got above 31 all day and all nite.

I'm blown away by the speed differential in the classes that seems to be increasing every year. In 2003, I drove a Miata and the front row was a Porsche turbo and a CSR. Now a Daytona Prototype? Talk about speending most of the time with your eyes in the mirrors!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Great job, guys!!!!!

I admire the tenacity, perseverance and ingenuity it takes to make a car and drivers go 25 hours!

Kudos on a job well done.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To add on Steve's thread let me say a few things about some great work from the team.

First the car prep by Steve and Pierce Motorsports was fantastic. Other than broken items, I think our component failures were all caused by collisions and the resulting off-road excursions. If it wasn't for the bumper car and baja action I don't think one thing would have needed attention.

Team strategy and management by Steve was great. The driver rotation worked well and we managed to cover an unscheduled driver change with no problem. Also Steve was watching the weather and knew exactly when it was going to start raining. When I went to get the rains mounted the tire guys said we were only the 3rd team to install rains. It started raining about 15 minutes after we had the tires ready. He must have been talking to the guy doing the rain dance.

Great pit work! Timo the wiring guru and no high tech tools alignment king. When we bent a rear tie rod(no replacement, just re-bent the rod) he sighted the rear wheels to the fronts with a support truck tie down rack rod. No complaints from the drivers.

Dan the welding and hydraulics king. When we snapped a front tie rod(also no replacement) Dan found a team with a welding machine and welded the tie rod almost perfectly. He did this in about 2 minutes while sitting on the pavement in the rain. Dan also managed to fix our oil leak from the engine oil cooling lines after one of our impacts caused the leak.

Art always ready and doing whatever was needed. He managed to stay positive while enduring constant ribbing from Dan. He was also the only one of use smart enough to have a good flashlight on his body at all times during the night.

Mike somehow managed to work on both Pierce Motorsports cars and provided the truck for gas and tire pick ups. He always knew where the tools or parts were.

A special note about Erik. Erik drove the support truck from So Cal and back. That might not seem like a big deal until you calculate the hours he drove in a big truck that has a top speed of 60 mph down hill. He did this on very little sleep and was still there to help in the pits anytime he wasn't recovering from his long hours of hauling and set up. Oh, of course he had to be at work Monday morning after getting back late Sunday night/early Monday morning.

The whole team, or more accurately both teams, stayed calm and focused for the entire event. Jim Pierce appeared as if everything was going exactly as planned, no matter what was happening.

I would also like to say how impressed I am with the Stoptech brakes holding up perfectly after 25 hours of racing. The rotors still looked perfect at the end of the event.

The whole group did a great job! All the drivers, all the crew members. I know I'm not covering all the outstanding work done by everyone, but you get the idea. Sorry if I'm leaving out anyone's accomplishments. There was a lot done by people that wasn't always seen by the other team members.

I'd like to thank Steve for allowing me the chance to participate in my first car racing event. I've road raced, motocrossed, enduro'd, flat tracked, supermoto'd, and worked as a crew member for a road racing team, but I'd never played with cars before. It was an outstanding experience and I learned a lot while I had a good time.

If anyone is thinking that this sounds like fun and you might want to do it, just get out there and do it because it is great fun. Even if you don't have tons of knowledge or skill every team can use another person with a good attitude that wants to help. There is always something to be done. You don't have to be an expert to make a difference and add to the success of the team. I feel I made a difference even though I don't know jack about cars.

Nike has the phrase trademarked but I use it without permission, Just do it!

Dog
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like great fun, except getting punted off the track by a "pro racer".

I just may be there next year, supporting a team I am most likely going to be a part of in our local region it all goes well

Great success all things considered, excellent write up and pics

Rick
Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Life is Good Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the speed differentials were pretty nuts, then with 72 cars on track, there were a lot that were in a similar speed range. It was cool to see so many pro drivers out in force driving a wide variety of cars. There were former LeMans winners, Indy 500 racer (Richie Hearn), multiple open wheel, Rolex and Grand Am racers. It was very cool to see such high profile people there as well as a lot of high end rigs and pit set-ups.

I believe Mazdaspeed put forth 5 factory cars, plus Honda put forth 2-4 of their own I believe. There was also a factory supported Scion, that will be racing World Challenge next year. So it was certainly a strong field, and looks to be getting better and better by the year.

The Western Endurance Race Series is also awesome, as it's a series of 3 hour enduros which lead up to the 25 Hour. It's nice because it's the club racer version of Grand Am, which has a very nice niche for us.

See some of you next year!

Steve
Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had no idea it has become such a big event, I hope it always keeps some of it's charm as it grows in posture over the years

Rick
Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Glad I could help Steve!

Let us know what ever you need
Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Good job, guys. Congratulations on your success (I consider it a success to even finish the race). It sounds like you earned it. It is always nice to hear of your exploits and learn more about your car.

Get notified of new replies

To Big thanks to all who helped us compete in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Quick Reply: Big thanks to all who helped us compete in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill