Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on best race rubber and wheel size.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Need advice on best race rubber and wheel size.

As some of you may know, I did my first HPDE event this past weekend with my stock '03 ZO6. I want to learn more about this stuff. Starting with getting better traction, what kind of track tires/wheels are you guys running? I've seen a lot of guys running 17's. Is this the optimum size to run? And where do I buy racing tires?
Thanks in advance and sorry to sound so uneducated, but that's why you guys are here.

Any links would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tirerack.com has good deals on new tires. Hoosiers are the best but if you are just starting a street / track tire is best with less hassle.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

big question is........are you driving to/from the track on said rubber or trailering the tires/car etc.

if you're driving nitto 555R2's or toyo RA1's on stock rims are great, hell you can pick up a set of curbed up or knocked up stockers for cheap and use that as a second set. The toyos work better shaved, the nittos work fine off the shelf. Toyo owns nitto, same rubber compound between the two, different tread pattern, same size (they're a 275/305 combo for the front/rear) I started on the nittos last year......they're a cheaper alternative this way....I've let friends try them out since I pickedup the hoosiers, and within the next week all of them ran out and picked up sets, the difference is VERY noticable as compared to stock goodyears.

as for dedicated track/rims tires that can't take rain, your best bet is probably a set of ccw track wheels in T1 sizing with hoosiers or kumhos. You can also pick up used race scrubs (pretty much a bunch of practice life left in them the racers just go thru tires like they're goin outta style) for pretty darn cheap. I believe that combo is 17x10/17x11 but I could be mistaken. Myself I picked up a set of 18x10 and 18x12 ccw track wheels and run hoosier R6's but I trailer the car to/from the track and 18's are more money than 17's for race rubber, I think those tires are 1350+ for the set before shipping from tirerack. My local guy is a dealer for hoosier and I buy lots of tires from him for myself and buddies so I get them out the door under 1300, your results may vary.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

What do you guys think of this setup? Good entry level performance for my "03 Z? I have to get home and finalize the deal.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1563043927

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I HAVE 4 NEW VICTOR RACERS MOUNTED ON 4 17X9.5 AFTERMARKET WHEELS FROM TIRERACK. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

WHEELS $141.00 EACH X 4 = $564.00

SIZE IS 275-40-17 ON ALL 4 CORNERS. I WAS GOING TO USE THESE FOR AUTOCROSSING,ROADRACING OR RAINS BUT DECIDED TO CHANGE MY SIZE.

TIRES NEW WERE $180.00 EACH X 4 = $720.00

Already shaved and ready to race!

TOTAL COMBINED NEW WAS $1,284.00 NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING.

I WILL SELL FOR A KILLER DEAL OF $700.00 FOR THE SET. SAVINGS OF $584.00.

I PREFER NOT TO SHIP THESE BUT AM ABLE TO WORK WITH YOU IF I HAVE TO. I AM JUST SOUTH OF CLEVELAND, OHIO 44256 IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PICK UP OR WE COULD ARRANGE A 1/2 WAY MEETING POINT TOO.

HERES A PICTURE LINK OF THEM.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 PM
gpm30236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey am just a bit north of you off 75, come up to the shop and hang out one day ,

Save yourself a lot of grief and money,

FIRST THING IS GET SEAT TIME

Use your stock wheels with a good set of street tires , BFG KDW2 or Kuhmo MX , and learn to drive the car. Sign up for every event nearby, there are lots of gr8 instructors who frequent those events. You will progress faster and be more sure of what you want as an end point
Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpm30236
Hey am just a bit north of you off 75, come up to the shop and hang out one day ,

Use your stock wheels with a good set of street tires , BFG KDW2 or Kuhmo MX , and learn to drive the car. Sign up for every event nearby, there are lots of gr8 instructors who frequent those events. You will progress faster and be more sure of what you want as an end point
i used street tires for 10 events before going to race tires.. but often the race ruber will give you the confidence in you car that you need to drive fast and safe.......9 times out of ten you would have pulled out of a corner with street tires but you think your relying on the race rubber and THAT lack of panic is what you need.. recently i was running on street tires against a VERY FAST driver as was amased by how much the stock tires held....the way youve been posting i think you have the bug.. i'm going to tell you to get 4 315X17 kumho victoracers or v710s they will eliminate the push inherent in the c5 and i will email you the specs for a good alignment..get one of those autocrossers trailers and use dedicated track tires youll love them!!! ill stop at the shop tomarrow and see if i can get a copy of the specs that on my car.. but you have to promise me to be carefull and get a lot of seat time ...IF YOU IMPROVE YOUR LAPTIME 1 SECOND EVERY MONTH IT WOULULT BELONG UNTILL YOU HAVE THE TRACK RECORD.

Last edited by TRACKMAN2; 12-05-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
i will email you the specs for a good alignment..
Thanks for that.

I sent you an email as your PM box is full.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gpm30236

I'd just run street tires and wheels for now.

You just did your first DE, didn't you? Wasn't it only one day too? I'd run at least a season on street tires and wheels before upgrading to anything else since you're still basically a newbie.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I'd run at least a season on street tires and wheels before upgrading to anything else since you're still basically a newbie.
I don't really understand the point in that. Why not go ahead and put on track tires? My street tires cost way more than track tires and would never last as long, handle as good and be as safe.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:17 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I'd just run street tires and wheels for now.

You just did your first DE, didn't you? Wasn't it only one day too? I'd run at least a season on street tires and wheels before upgrading to anything else since you're still basically a newbie.

I had slicks on within the first month of racing. Put them on as soon as possible. You'll never look back.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:47 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
I don't really understand the point in that. Why not go ahead and put on track tires? My street tires cost way more than track tires and would never last as long, handle as good and be as safe.
I just think that you're jumping the gun a bit considering that this was your first DE. Half a DE at that. If you're committed, go for it. I've seen a few people go all out after their first few events and buy belts, harness bar, race wheels, tires, etc. Then, after a couple of events, they realize that they don't want to risk their street car at the track.

Another thing to think about considering the way that you taped up your car for the event. Race rubber picks up everything and has a nice way of flinging rocks on your car.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on best race rubber and wheel size.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on best race rubber and wheel size.