Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heidfeld: F1 wil be extremely dangerous in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Heidfeld: F1 wil be extremely dangerous in 2009

Slicks and less aero.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...erous-in-2009/
Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have too much power and too little grip. I don't like it at all," a disappointed Heidfeld said
That makes for interesting racing.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Whaaa, they want us to drive the cars? Whaaugghhhh!!!!!

Getting rid of traction control, going to more mechanical grip, might just be what F1 needs to bring back actual racing. Qualifying was at least as interesting and influential to the race's outcome as the race itself, and that's never a good thing.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so what he is saying is when you come out of the pits your have hard cold slicks and no down-force. Cars are going way faster so you are a slow target until you warm up. I think he is right they should have left the down force. Plus I like the high cornering speeds down-force allows.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Whaaa, they want us to drive the cars? Whaaugghhhh!!!!!

Getting rid of traction control, going to more mechanical grip, might just be what F1 needs to bring back actual racing. Qualifying was at least as interesting and influential to the race's outcome as the race itself, and that's never a good thing.

Have a good one,
Mike
I'm beginning to think that the F1 drivers are a bunch of wusses. Michael Schumacher once said that he'd never race in the Indy 500 because he thinks that it's too dangerous. F1 wants to cut down trees at Monza because they think that it's too dangerous for the drivers.

I'm all for the advances in safety, but racing has always had an element of danger to it. Part of what makes it exciting is the danger. If they want to eliminate that danger, I think that they should be doing something else because there are plenty of people that would gladly take on that challenge. Look at the freestyle motox guys. Those guys are insane.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Default Massa expects more crashes next season

Felipe Massa believes the ban on traction control might improve the spectacle of racing, but will also cause more crashes to happen in 2008. According to the Brazilian it is now much harder to keep the car under control coming out of slow corners.

Speaking about his day of testing without the use of traction control Massa told GPUpdate.net: "It's a big difference, good fun and a better show for the fans. I do expect more crashes though. Some might expect it will cause more overtaking moves but I can't agree with them. It is more dangerous as we lose some grip, especially with slicks. The car is really tricky coming out of the corner and thus it is more difficult to have a good exit out of the corner. You can easily lose the rear end of the car now so you need to be a lot smoother on the throttle."

In Jerez Massa enjoyed the company of Michael Schumacher on Thursday. "It was really nice to work with him again. He is a fantastic driver and can help a lot. He is never slow and he can help with the development of next year's car."

----------------------------------------------------------------

They have to learn how to drive the cars out of the corners without the traction control. If they don't get traction, don't give it as much throttle. I can't believe the reaction to the drivers about these changes.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I'm beginning to think that the F1 drivers are a bunch of wusses. Michael Schumacher once said that he'd never race in the Indy 500 because he thinks that it's too dangerous. F1 wants to cut down trees at Monza because they think that it's too dangerous for the drivers.

I'm all for the advances in safety, but racing has always had an element of danger to it. Part of what makes it exciting is the danger. If they want to eliminate that danger, I think that they should be doing something else because there are plenty of people that would gladly take on that challenge. Look at the freestyle motox guys. Those guys are insane.
The problem is when you get some of the paychecks they get you don't want to died. If the tree are in a dangerous situation cut'em. They use to race with a leather helmet and a horseshoe at best for roll over protection. As a spectator would you like more excitement by standing ion the side of the track with no fence or barriers not me!

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-07-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:22 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
The problem is when you get some of the paychecks they get you don't want to died. If the tree are in a dangerous situation cut'em. They use to race with a leather helmet and a horseshoe at best for roll over protection. As a spectator would you like more excitement by standing ion the side of the track with no fence or barriers not me!
I've looked at Monza and I don't see a tree anywhere near the track. How much runoff room do they need? I feel the same way about Spa. They used to respect Eau Rouge, but now they run it with reckless abandon because they have so much runoff room.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

"too much power, and too little grip". WTF. That's why racing takes skill, and not everybody can do it. Any sprint car driver hearing that is going to laugh in that guy's face. Perhaps he might consider taking up a safe activity like golf, or something.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69427
"too much power, and too little grip". WTF. That's why racing takes skill, and not everybody can do it. Any sprint car driver hearing that is going to laugh in that guy's face. Perhaps he might consider taking up a safe activity like golf, or something.
What is the speed differential between and sprint car on cold tires vs. hot tires? How fast is a sprint car going?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I've looked at Monza and I don't see a tree anywhere near the track. How much runoff room do they need? I feel the same way about Spa. They used to respect Eau Rouge, but now they run it with reckless abandon because they have so much runoff room.
from a F-1 cockpit the tree may look closer at speed
Old 12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

What is the speed differential between and sprint car on cold tires vs. hot tires? How fast is a sprint car going?
I take it you haven't expanded your horizons to include non-paved racing events. Watch a sprint car race on a half mile or mile track, and be freakin' amazed at the talent those drivers possess to maneuver those cars through traffic at those speeds. You'll frequently see more passes for the lead in one race there than you'll see in a whole season of F1. And the sprint guys don't have the luxury of a stable, nonchanging racing surface during the race. It's been my experience that there is no correlation between a high racing series cost and a competitive show for the spectators.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Having never driven a F1 car, I am not qualified to comment.
I raced motorcycles for 7 years in the 1970s until I got broken up and saw the light.
However, I will NOT race at Pacific Raceway at Kent Washington, because there are trees growing right to the edge of the track and other very dangerous aspects of that track. Call me old, but I race for fun. I make mistakes and I have no wish to die or to be crippled.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I have watch them at times if you have watched them more fill me in on the speeds please.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Contributor

I have watch them at times if you have watched them more fill me in on the speeds please.
Speeds are all over the place due to every track being different in size, shape, banking, etc. My favorite track when I used to live in the midwest was Eldora Speedway (currently owned by Tony Stewart) in Ohio. It's a very fast, banked, half mile dirt track. The lap record is 12.707 seconds, according to their website. Assuming an ideal half mile groove, that calculates out to 142 mph average. While I certainly think the F1 guys are a talented bunch, I think they would, if honest, have to respect anyone who can throw a car sideways at 150+ mph, lap after lap.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I raced motorcycles for 7 years in the 1970s until I got broken up and saw the light.
However, I will NOT race at Pacific Raceway at Kent Washington, because there are trees growing right to the edge of the track and other very dangerous aspects of that track. Call me old, but I race for fun. I make mistakes and I have no wish to die or to be crippled.

it's not old it is wisdom of which I have also gained. What type of bikes did you race?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69427
Speeds are all over the place due to every track being different in size, shape, banking, etc. My favorite track when I used to live in the midwest was Eldora Speedway (currently owned by Tony Stewart) in Ohio. It's a very fast, banked, half mile dirt track. The lap record is 12.707 seconds, according to their website. Assuming an ideal half mile groove, that calculates out to 142 mph average. While I certainly think the F1 guys are a talented bunch, I think they would, if honest, have to respect anyone who can throw a car sideways at 150+ mph, lap after lap.
I think it is fun to watch and builds many great racers but a far cry from F-1 in speed and danger.

Get notified of new replies

To Heidfeld: F1 wil be extremely dangerous in 2009

Old 12-09-2007, 09:11 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

That's different. The trees at Monza don't appear to be any closer to the track than they are at Road America.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I think it is fun to watch and builds many great racers but a far cry from F-1 in speed and danger.

All racing is good - boats, cars, airplanes, bikes...I even like the 24 hr lawnmower enduros in England.
(I seldom watch more than a few minutes, at a time of, any race though.)

Jackie Stewart forever changed GP/F1 in the late sixties. I don't EVER want to go back to the old GPs. Too many accidents/shunts and way too many deaths.

I agree with xsiveone - sounds like some of the F1 guys are lacking in the testosterone department.
I've always hated the driver aids. Now we have an entire generation of drivers lacking basic skills.
BRING BACK 1400 HP TURBOS AND QUALIES (qualifying slicks ...good for three laps).
Old 12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

As John said...What did you race?? FlatTrack..Road..MotoX..Drag??

Quick Reply: Heidfeld: F1 wil be extremely dangerous in 2009