Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BeaveRun Track

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BeaveRun Track

I was in the Pittsburgh area for work and was visiting a nuclear facility near there when I drove by the sign for the track. Naturally, being the track ho I am, I went there after my business was done. Luckily for me the facility I was visiting was within a mile or two of the track.

I drove up and luckily it was "open" though there was 1-3 inches of snow on the ground. I signed in with a "truly motivated to be there" young lady and went for a short tour around the facility. It is a little short at 1.6 miles but looks like a decent track. Has a great VDA (aka 6 acres of pavement) for skid pads, etc.

The paddock and "event" facility look decent. I did notice NASA was noticably absent from their event billings. SCCA does do some events there it seems.

Anyone run there much? What are some "comparable" tracks?

thanks...
Old 12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Run there a bunch. Fun little track. The kink on the back straight will get your attention. Also the uphill section of T6 and T7 can realy be fun.

Most loose it coming out of T8 slide across track and smack the tires/armco on the outside of the track. 80% of all incidents I have seen on that track happen there. Turn 1 is another area of incident, the Blind down hill turn sends pople to the outside. I have seen a few people go straight off at T10 the start of the uphill radius turn. It was a great rain track the first few years. Not quite as much now. They built that tower building with the garages about 3 years ago. They have/had plans to open the track up alot where T2 is, making it a 3 mi track I believe. It has been used as the OLoA school track many times in the past.

The Kart track gets used for AutoX's alot. NASA has been there before but not the last 2 if my memory serves me. I was there last year with an SCCA event, helping a friend run T1.

I have some video around here somewhere of me in my company Taurus with 3 friends in the car holding off a 911 while my buddy in the back seat video tapes out the back window. I'll see if i can find it.

Comparable...Hallet kinda comes to mind. It's an Alan Wilson circuit
Old 12-08-2007, 03:55 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Default Beaver Run

SCCA has run a National Race every year the track has been open. The people who work and manage the track are great. The lack some qualaity hotel and motels really close but Cranberry is about 15 miles back east on the turnpike. Most of the drivers I know really like the track. Its a even combination of horsepower and handling. Last spring they were firming up plans on the track extension from T2 but I havent heard of any earth being moved yet. They also had plans to improve the entry road to the track from the state road. That entry road has to be the worst in the US.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

NASA had an event there back in May. I'm looking forward to going out there in the '08 season.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:44 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
NASA had an event there back in May. I'm looking forward to going out there in the '08 season.
Hmmm...Must have been the Northeast region. I know Oh-In hasn't been there since June of 06. Since Northeast doesn't subscribe to the TT or really even the race groups, I don't pay much attention to them.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:09 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECTPhVTqvKc beaverun is a tight but fun little track, it has all the things your going to see driving at alot of tracks tight rithem sections, ablind apex turn, high speed kink and two awsome brake zones,, people complain that its hard on tires and brakes but if your out for fun it is an experience.. i probibly will be instructing there next year, they have flat out days which are hpdes run buy the track.. you better not go there withiut telling me i only live 30 min from there and its not as far as RA to get to see you guys!!!

they have plans for a seven million dollar upgrade there working on financing for it right now..

Last edited by TRACKMAN2; 12-08-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

That entry road is one of the "interesting ones" - I was looking for a banjo playing kid as I drove in.

Thanks for the info - I would like to make a "northern tour" in 2008 to catch as many as possible in the upper midwest and northeast..
Old 12-09-2007, 03:31 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
That entry road is one of the "interesting ones" - I was looking for a banjo playing kid as I drove in.

Thanks for the info - I would like to make a "northern tour" in 2008 to catch as many as possible in the upper midwest and northeast..

He lives in the second house on the right, coming up that road. The one with the 996 wheel mounted to the house as a hose holder. Looks dead on that kid from deliverence as well.

We look forward to seeing you up here in 08. And bring that fast kid of your's as well.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Nihilation
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a fan of BeaveRun also. When did they remove the pylons at turn 1? I did a time attack there a few years back with my NSX and really enjoyed it.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I didn't get a chance to run on the track, but I went to quite a few autocrosses out in the parking lot.

Nice facility, had a great time while I was out in the Pittsburgh area.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Its been a couple years, couldn't make the early NASA date this year.
For hotels, there are a few roach motels near the turnpaike and one expensive Holiday Inn (IIRC).

I like the track, one of my favorites. Technical track, love the 2,3,4 combination. When you do it right its set the wheel and make it one big turn. It does wake you up coming down the front straight, brake zone for turn 1 and your foot goes to the floor! Made it thru turn 1 and bleed the brakes after that session.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RogueVette
.....We look forward to seeing you up here in 08. And bring that fast kid of your's as well.
Which fast kid? I do my best not to leave home without them. They both have quick wits and bad attitudes (their mother's influence no doubt).

I am going to see if it is possible to link 3-5 tracks together over a 7-9 day period in June, July or early August "up north"....
Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
Which fast kid? I do my best not to leave home without them. They both have quick wits and bad attitudes (their mother's influence no doubt).

I am going to see if it is possible to link 3-5 tracks together over a 7-9 day period in June, July or early August "up north"....

Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges and BeavRun are all "fairly" close together if you can get events to line up correctly. Maybe throw Grattan, Gingerman or Putnam in the mix.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

All I gotta say is that Krystal is the hottest track ops manager ever !

(and, the Holiday Inn right down the road isn't too bad..)
Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is a link to my most recent SCCA T1 race at Beaverun:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BC551B39A779B6
Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 AM
The Bus
Pro

It's a great little track. Does tend to use up brakes however. I instruct there about 6 times a year. They have HPDE [ called flat out days about 8 times a year ] days. A great schedule if you have experience.

Morning 8 AM to 1 PM
three different levels of instruction

Afternoon 2 PM till 7 PM
All experienced drivers, no instructors, run as much as you want till 7PM. A lot of racers show up for test and tune.
Only rule is obay the passing rules. OF COURSE DRIVE SAFETLY DON'T BE A JERK.
If you show up look me up I'm almost always there. I'll either be in my yellow #33 C4 with NASA Stickers or my copper colored 01 Camaro.

PS
They have a bathroom facility second to none.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Here is a link to my most recent SCCA T1 race at Beaverun:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BC551B39A779B6
what is that yellow thing..??

Get notified of new replies

To BeaveRun Track

Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
All I gotta say is that Krystal is the hottest track ops manager ever !

(and, the Holiday Inn right down the road isn't too bad..)
she's too cute to be hot..................................... .........allright she's hot
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
what is that yellow thing..??
350Z

And Krystal is so cute she's HOT!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RogueVette
350Z

And Krystal is so cute she's HOT!
Dang - I appear to have missed Krystal

Seems like that may be basis for return if nothing else ...

Quick Reply: BeaveRun Track