Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The drama in F1 rolls on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default The drama in F1 rolls on....

Max Mosley has confirmed that the McLaren drivers will also suffer if the team faces a penalty after the World Motor Sport Council hearing Feb. 14.

After weeks of investigation the FIA’s team has apparently found sufficient grounds for suspicion that the yet-to-be-seen 2008 McLaren could indeed incorporate Ferrari intellectual property gleaned from the infamous 780 pages given to Mike Coughlan. The recent investigation even included lawyers being sent in to grill team employees.

“We very much hoped that the investigation of McLaren would be an end of the matter,” Mosley said after the Monaco WMSC meeting. “But as you will have gathered it isn’t, or wasn’t. We’ve received a report that makes it necessary to have another hearing.

“We wouldn’t have another hearing and go through all this again, and bring people from all over the world, unless there was good reason.”

In September Mosley made it clear that he did not want to separate the drivers and constructors’ points, but the WMSC members decided that they didn’t want to ruin the championship, so only the team lost its points.

This time the championship hasn’t actually started, and the case is going to be taken at least as seriously as the earlier one.

“If there was any negative finding about 2008, and it’s a very big if, it would apply to everybody,” Mosley said. “It would only be based on an unfair advantage, and that applies to both, which is what my view was in the last case. I was wrong, as it turned out, for the championship.”

Jean Todt is a member of the WMSC, and as such he has already been given an insight into the 2008 McLaren.

“We’re getting into a dangerous area now,” Mosley said. “He’s seen information that could perhaps be linked to the information that came from Ferrari.”

-- MyRACER staff
Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That is truly dramatic. Mclaren truly needs to be dealt with on this issue. F1 rarely disappoints with it's off track political maneuvering and intrigue. Too bad they can't figure out how to race better. I still enjoy watching them but this whole "save the protest until the most critical and damaging moment" crap should just go away. It's just like yacht racing, there's more politics than racing.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m a die hard Ferrari fan, but this is BS. Let them race. As we saw, Ferrari wins regardless. Pretty soon they’ll all be driving the same car anyways. I love the sport, but F1 is going backwards

Last edited by Zee0hh6ix; 12-12-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Deleted 07.13.2020
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hh6ix
I’m a die hard Ferrari fan, but this is BS. Let them race. As we saw, Ferrari wins regardless. Pretty soon they’ll all be driving the same car anyways. I love the sport, but F1 is going in backwards

Get notified of new replies

To The drama in F1 rolls on....

Quick Reply: The drama in F1 rolls on....