Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got roadrace disease... need cure

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default got roadrace disease... need cure

Went out the ThunderHill on Saturday, now I'm looking my car over for good track mods.

Thinking:
- driver skill
- alignment
- tires
- putting on hawk pads for race day; Ii have rotors that seem descent and did not warp after an extensive beating; They are generic aftermarket slotted and don't rust.

recommended alignment for road race is?
instructor that day recommended Khumo Ecsta for street/track use. She stated that she burns through 1 set every 8 track days. comments.
she also recommended generic GM pads as her favorite.

I would plan on hitting about 3 track events per year.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have the priority correct with driver skill in first. Getting more seat time is the best bang for the buck mod you can make. If you are going to drive the car back and forth to the track and don't want to have to change aligment in between then stay within the stock specs. As for the rest the Kuhmo is a good combo tire and the price is right. I would upgrade my brake fluid to a high boiling point fluid such as Motul 600. It is fun having folks come over and ask what all is done to the car and telling them it is stock!!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 427CPE
Went out the ThunderHill on Saturday, now I'm looking my car over for good track mods.

Thinking:
- driver skill
- alignment
- tires
- putting on hawk pads for race day; Ii have rotors that seem descent and did not warp after an extensive beating; They are generic aftermarket slotted and don't rust.

recommended alignment for road race is?
instructor that day recommended Khumo Ecsta for street/track use. She stated that she burns through 1 set every 8 track days. comments.
she also recommended generic GM pads as her favorite.

I would plan on hitting about 3 track events per year.
^^Good list with the right priorities.

I would also add doing something to keep the brakes cool. You can add some ducting without going overboard to get more cold air to brake rotors. FWIW, a lot of people who track their cars use the NAPA rotors.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazman
. It is fun having folks come over and ask what all is done to the car and telling them it is stock!!
I think you lose that privelege when your screen name is 427cpe.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best money you can spend on your car to make it faster is a good two or three day racing course at a good driving school. Don't spend any money on car mods until you've developed the skills to utilize the inhanced performance of the car. More track days, especially ones that offer in-car instructors, really helps. But taking a good racing school program will help significantly. And there are several really good ones now that use Corvettes. Don't take an open wheel racing school if you plan on driving your Vette. Find one of the schools that uses Vettes as the experience will be directly transferable to your car.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
The best money you can spend on your car to make it faster is a good two or three day racing course at a good driving school. Don't spend any money on car mods until you've developed the skills to utilize the inhanced performance of the car. More track days, especially ones that offer in-car instructors, really helps. But taking a good racing school program will help significantly. And there are several really good ones now that use Corvettes. Don't take an open wheel racing school if you plan on driving your Vette. Find one of the schools that uses Vettes as the experience will be directly transferable to your car.

I agree with the general driving school advice. Often money well spent if you are serious about learning. I do disagree with the open wheel school comment. I did several open wheel schools (now that I think about it, all of them have been open wheel), and learned a bunch in the process. Threshold braking, trailing throttle oversteer, heel&toe, high horsepower throttle modulation, low traction conditions, etc. Most things you learn transfer to other forms of motorsports, and what doesn't, just rounds out your experience base.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Seat time first.

As you become faster, the stock GM pads will not be adequate unless your pace is pretty sedate. Lots of opinions on best pads, but I think Carbotech's work well. Plenty of compounds to choose from depending on your mods & abilities.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Seat time first.

As you become faster, the stock GM pads will not be adequate unless your pace is pretty sedate. Lots of opinions on best pads, but I think Carbotech's work well. Plenty of compounds to choose from depending on your mods & abilities.
The pads I have are real odd. They are great for everyday use because they don't dust much and you really don't break that hard in normal traffic.

On the track, I noticed they were better after they heated just a little.
I would have preferred a little more stopping authority from them though. My hawk pads really pulled the car down sure and fast.
How do the Carbotech's compare?

Get notified of new replies

To got roadrace disease... need cure

Quick Reply: got roadrace disease... need cure