Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track event,Got car sick.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 AM
jeff49
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First track event,Got car sick.

Had my first track event At thunder Hill raceway in Ca.First two session were a blast,In the third session after lunch.Car sickness came over me and I wasnt having fun any more.All I wanted to do was get off the track.Is this common with racers?Any body else have this problem and what was your cure? Thank You. Jeff
Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First: What did you have for lunch?

Also, could it have been dehydration? I know it wasn't hot at THill but, I notice that I can feel a little off if I don't drink enough water.
In the summer at THill, I drink 6-8 bottles.

ThunderHill is actually a little easier on your body that Sears or Laguna.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

No trouble here, I think you should practice more!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a hydration issue. I know when I did my first HPDE, I was so full of adrenaline I couldn't focus on anything but getting back out there!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I've never been carsick while driving, but I did start feeling a little nauceous one time riding as a passenger for a 20 min. session at T-hill. If you're new to HPDE remember to look way ahead into the next turn. It will make the track seem smoother and will help you drive better and hit the right line.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I felt a lil motion sickness one time at summit point as a passenger
Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is that it was a combination of things. First, I agree about dehydration. You should be taking water throughout the day, keep well hydrated. Also, at lunch, eat light. Better to snack throughout the day than to sit down and eat a heavy lunch (burger and fries, or Philly cheese steak sounds great, but save it for after your done on the track).

The other big factor with rookies is nerves. Many rookies get anxious and hold onto the wheel with a death grip. Everything in your upper body stiffens up, including shoulders, neck and upper back. Tensing the muscles draws a lot of blood at the same time you are digesting that big lunch you just ate.

But more importantly, your head becomes fixed and you may be focusing on the front of your car or the road close in. It's the same thing that happens to people on boats. Other than glancing down to check your gauges on a straightaway, your eyes should be looking as far down the track as possible. If you fixate on the front of your car, or the rear of the car in front of you, you will tend to get seasick. You should not be looking at the car in front of you. You need to look past that car, down the track, use peripheral vision to keep track of the car in front of you.

Also, learn to relax behind the wheel. Be conscious of how tightly you are gripping the wheel. Relax you hands (wiggle your fingers now and then), arms, shoulders, neck. Staying relaxed you will use less energy, be able to drive longer without tiring, and generally enjoy yourself a lot more.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Also, at lunch, eat light. Better to snack throughout the day than to sit down and eat a heavy lunch (burger and fries, or Philly cheese steak sounds great, but save it for after your done on the track).
I agree. If I pound down on the heavy crappy food at the track, like the pizzas, cheeseburgers and stuff and then jump in my car right after that, I come back in feeling a bit nauseous. It is always a bit worse if my driving is not so smooth.

I have also learned I can go out with some wickedly fast, but smooth drivers as a passenger and come back feeling fine. If I get in with a student who is sawing at steering wheel the like a lumberjack in heat and stabbing at the brake like the Norman Bates, well, I come back feeling like crap....
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only time I felt nausious was in an instructors little bmw e30 vomit machine. It was so light weight and had r compund tires, so it was all kinds of jerky.

I've also fallen asleep in an instructor vehicle too, woke up with my head flopping around. Woke up looking out the window looking at a bunch of tires going by (tire wall). Was like where the heck???? O, right.

Look at what and how much you eat for lunch. Hydration is key.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally often get "oozy" when riding with another driver for an extended period, especially if they/car are fast. On several occasions, I have made myself feel "oozy" as well. I try to aviod food that doesn't sit well and be careful with lunch. I recommend something very light and wait until you get home to eat. Drink plenty of fluids, and most importantly, rest between sessions.

Like I said, occasionally I make myself feel sick, and I have been doing this for several years
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It happens. I have had a number of friends get sick in cars at the track, both theirs and others, driving and passenger. Some observations:
1) Most of the time, it's passengers that get sick.
2) Most of the time, there is a hydration issue.
3) Some of the time it appears related to heavy lunch (lots of food/heavy meaty food)
4) Once you get sick, it's hard to have a good rest of the day.

What folks do to avoid it:
1) Make sure you are looking far down the track
2) relax and concentrate on breathing the moment you get into the car.
3) Eat light at lunch, and/or snack during the day to keep blood sugar normal.
4) stay hydrated, no matter what else you are doing.
5) Get the right glasses for driving. Bifocals tend to make you adapt your head position to the glasses, which is bad.
6) Make sure before you drive that you are medically fit to do this sport. It'll keep you and your mates on track safer.

Remember, you take care of your car for the track. At least do the same for your body.

Last edited by yakisoba; 12-10-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added conclusion
Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 AM
jeff49
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
First: What did you have for lunch?

Also, could it have been dehydration? I know it wasn't hot at THill but, I notice that I can feel a little off if I don't drink enough water.
In the summer at THill, I drink 6-8 bottles.

ThunderHill is actually a little easier on your body that Sears or Laguna.
Yes,big lunch they suppled ckicken,rice,cookies and soft drinks,Im getting sick thinking about that lunch.No more lunch for me at the track.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
jeff49
Racer

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
My guess is that it was a combination of things. First, I agree about dehydration. You should be taking water throughout the day, keep well hydrated. Also, at lunch, eat light. Better to snack throughout the day than to sit down and eat a heavy lunch (burger and fries, or Philly cheese steak sounds great, but save it for after your done on the track).

The other big factor with rookies is nerves. Many rookies get anxious and hold onto the wheel with a death grip. Everything in your upper body stiffens up, including shoulders, neck and upper back. Tensing the muscles draws a lot of blood at the same time you are digesting that big lunch you just ate.

But more importantly, your head becomes fixed and you may be focusing on the front of your car or the road close in. It's the same thing that happens to people on boats. Other than glancing down to check your gauges on a straightaway, your eyes should be looking as far down the track as possible. If you fixate on the front of your car, or the rear of the car in front of you, you will tend to get seasick. You should not be looking at the car in front of you. You need to look past that car, down the track, use peripheral vision to keep track of the car in front of you.

Also, learn to relax behind the wheel. Be conscious of how tightly you are gripping the wheel. Relax you hands (wiggle your fingers now and then), arms, shoulders, neck. Staying relaxed you will use less energy, be able to drive longer without tiring, and generally enjoy yourself a lot more.

Great advise,I think I only slept about 3hrs that nite with a 3hr drive in the mourning.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
jeff49
Racer

Default Thanks all

Cant wait for the next event.Great advise good luck and merry Chrismas to you. Jeff49
Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Oobus
Advanced

I know what the problem was, you had an instructor friend of mine named Paul riding shotgun! That guy smells so bad it turns my stomach.

J/K I had the same problem as you my first time out, didn't sleep well the night before and was soooo jacked up on nerves and caffeen I was a wreck. Then one of the instructors took me out in his car and that almost finished me off!

Second event was much, much better, I relaxed, knew what to expect and was mentally prepared.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

To avoid getting sick take some ginger in the mornings. You can buy it at herb stores. I take Bonine pills if I'm instructing and it's going to be a real hot day. Bonine makes some people a little sleepy late in the afternoon, but it's not near as bad as Dramamine.

Get notified of new replies

To First track event,Got car sick.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Bonine makes some people a little sleepy late in the afternoon....

Someone must be spiking my breakfast with that Bonine stuff....

:o :o :o
Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

To avoid getting sick take some ginger in the mornings. You can buy it at herb stores. .
I am prone to moton sickness too and ginger is the hot ticket, no doubt. You can go to See's Candy shop and buy chocolate covered ginger that works beautifully and tastes wonderful as well.

The food advice works too, but if you get motion sickness easily it matters not what you eat at lunch but how much. I never eat track food on principle as it really is awful almost everywhere and it is easy to pack food at home and bring it.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

To avoid getting sick take some ginger in the mornings. You can buy it at herb stores. I take Bonine pills if I'm instructing and it's going to be a real hot day. Bonine makes some people a little sleepy late in the afternoon, but it's not near as bad as Dramamine.
Tell me more about the ginger. Does this come in pill form or should I sprinkle it from the can on my morning corn flakes. I always have trouble at tracks that have quick elevation changes. Been taking dramamine and it helps (but should not be used when operating heavy machinery)
Thanks for the info
Tim

Quick Reply: First track event,Got car sick.