Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alonso 51.3 Million per year!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Alonso 51.3 Million per year!

Renault

Fernando Alonso will race for Renault next season alongside Nelson Piquet Jr, it was confirmed on Monday. The move marks Alonso’s return to the team with whom he won two world titles and follows a troubled 2007 season with McLaren.

Piquet’s promotion from test driver to race seat means Renault will field an all-new line-up for next season - and leaves current stars Giancarlo Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen without confirmed drives for 2008.

“I am delighted to be returning to Renault,” said Alonso. “This is the team where I grew up as a driver in Formula One. Now it is time for us to begin a new chapter together. I am very excited about working with this great team once more, and confident that together we can move back to the front of the field. Renault had a difficult year in 2007, but I know that the team has real strength in depth. I am confident they can produce a fast and competitive car and be back at the top in 2008.”

“Fernando and Nelsinho will form one of the most exciting driver line-up of 2008,” commented Renault team principal Flavio Briatore. “We are delighted to be welcoming Fernando back home to the team where he enjoyed his greatest success. His abilities as a driver and a team leader are well known, and we look forward to forging another strong partnership. What’s more, he knows the team well and how we operate; he will feel comfortable straight away in this environment.

Alonso, 26, previously drove for Renault between 2003 and 2006, during which time he scored 15 Grand Prix victories and won two drivers’ championships, in 2005 and 2006.

Meanwhile, 22-year-old Brazilian Piquet spent 2007 as Renault’s test and reserve driver, after finishing runner-up in the 2006 GP2 series championship. The Brazilian will now make his Formula One debut at the 2008 Australian Grand Prix.

“First of all, I want to thank Flavio and Renault for putting their confidence in me for 2008,” said Piquet. “It is a fantastic opportunity to make my Formula One debut with one of the top teams on the grid, and alongside one of the very best drivers in the sport. This drive is something I have been working towards since the end of 2006, and I am proud that my performances as test driver have earned me this position. I am looking forward to teaming up with Fernando, and learning from him. As a rookie, there is no better way to start your career than to have a double world champion as your reference point.”

Briatore added: “Nelsinho is one of the most promising young talents in motorsport. After his success in GP2, he has spent a year learning the ropes as our test driver and getting to know the team; he is now ready to step up to the next level.”

Alonso and Piquet will be supported by Frenchman Romain Grosjean, reigning 2007 F3 Euroseries Champion and a product of Renault’s driver development scheme, in the role of test driver.

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-10-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

51 million a year. Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy
Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found out about this myself and was going to post it until I saw your post John.

I don't think that it was any surprise that Alonso would sign with Renault after what went down this past season. I think that they were waiting to announce it after Renault found out if it was going to be fined $100M. I am surprised that Alonso is getting $51M a year.

I knew that Fisi was out, but I'm surprised that they are going with Piquet over Kovalainen. If I were a team looking for good driver, I'd be all over Heikke. I wonder where he will land. Perhaps McLaren?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears that Shumi retired a tad early. /:\
Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with that kinda cash i could keep my c4 runnin
Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing

Kimi, Massa, Schumi, Hamilton, Alonso and the combined BMW effort would have made this F1 season by far the best ever.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
with that kinda cash i could keep my c4 runnin
if you were careful with it
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Schumi was making 50+ million ten years ago - compliments of Phillip Morris.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavychevy

Kimi, Massa, Schumi, Hamilton, Alonso and the combined BMW effort would have made this F1 season by far the best ever.
I hope that Toro Rosso gets its act in gear and does something. I'd love to see Bourdais and Vettel in the mix as well. I hope that Bourdais does well because it would help give Champ Car a little more credibility in F1 again.

Get notified of new replies

To Alonso 51.3 Million per year!

Quick Reply: Alonso 51.3 Million per year!