Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some brakes and pads advice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some brakes and pads advice...

b799b797bb97

Last edited by KMK454; 09-09-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know which pads you have, and I'm not familiar with the Wilwood line anyway. But if they are track pads, they will be noisy, as will any track pads I have used. You just have to switch between track and street pads.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did we install them? If so, I can look up the order and figure out whats on there and maybe help fix the problem.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
Did we install them? If so, I can look up the order and figure out whats on there and maybe help fix the problem.
Yup, you guys installed them. Bobby was in that day and the guy working on the car was the guy with the sweet 82-84 Camaro.

The stopping power is great, I called and asked about the squeaking though and the person I talked to on the phone said sometimes it's just the nature of the pad.

BTW, I got a ride in the silver beast in your signature... yeah, great advertising, now I want a G5X cam
Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Wilwood E-compound pads on my car with the LG/Wilwood brake kit. They squeel and dust like crazy. If you're just driving on the street, try the Y-compound and keep the Es for the few track days you do. They won't stop as good, but more than enough for street duty.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're only going to one HPDE a year I'd recommend taking the racing pads off (they squeel because of the compound that has to work at super high temps) and switching to a street pad for the rest of the year. When you are going to do your HPDE just put the high performance pads back on and then take them off after the event.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

First I'd like to say thanks to LG Motorsports... after seeing this thread they called me today a few times trying to help! Great concern for the customer. Much appreciated!

They told me I have the type E Wilwood pads, which are for light track duty. They will squeak no matter what, and the best bet to totally remove the squeal/squeak is to get a different set for street use only. LG offered to help me resolve the issue and explore different pads, which I may take them up on. Only issue is I'm 180 miles away, but I'm good at making excuses to drive to a performance shop

Tonight though, I did the following:

80 - 40 braking, followed by hard accelerating up to 80 and braking back to 40, over and over for a total of 8 times. The brakes were smoking at the end, but the fluid and SS lines didn't let any fade or pedal mush happen. Plus the car stopped hard every time, very impressive.

I then drove around for a while - no squeaking or squealing! Interesting... there were a few squeaks here and there, but nothing worse than a stock Z51. We'll see how it goes!

I'm learning...

Once I figure this out, then it's off to figure out how to deal with rust on the non-swept part of the rotors... and then time to figure out which cam!

Get notified of new replies

To Need some brakes and pads advice...

Quick Reply: Need some brakes and pads advice...