Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual Brake Pad Wear Pattern

Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Unusual Brake Pad Wear Pattern

I noticed a long pedal after a heavy trashing at Laguna Seca. It was on the inboard side. I wonder what type of material the backing plate is made of? This is a PFC 80 pad:[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sidney004; 12-10-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highly unusual indeed.

I assume the other side looked normal.

Wild guess: a piece of rock got lodged between the pads.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

That bent ear got hung up on something, and then the center buckled.
check the bracket to make sure nothing is in there prevent the pad from sliding.

For the street, I would grease the ears slightly where they meet the caliper bracket, but for the track, the grease would melt away and cause problems. So I normally run them dry.

Also, sometimes the C4 calipers bend open slightly, although it never happend to me, I have seen pictures.

I didn't know PF still made 80's for our cars.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:31 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

looks like they can take A LOT OF HEAT WOW!!!!!!!! pad material must be Kryptonite!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
That bent ear got hung up on something, and then the center buckled.
check the bracket to make sure nothing is in there prevent the pad from sliding.

For the street, I would grease the ears slightly where they meet the caliper bracket, but for the track, the grease would melt away and cause problems. So I normally run them dry.

Also, sometimes the C4 calipers bend open slightly, although it never happend to me, I have seen pictures.

I didn't know PF still made 80's for our cars.
Larry, I think you are right about the bent ear. I doubt PFC still makes the 80. I bought them on Ebay for $75; they are pretty durable, I would not hesitate to buy them again if I could ever find them. I wish I had pictures of a spread caliper from earlier this year. It was so distorted the pistons popped out! At the end of the back straight no less!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 AM
FF1wms
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

After this brake problem, and the power steering going away, the fun wasn't over yet.
There was still the 150 or so miles, on what was left of the slick racing tires, in the rain storm.
Even though the drive home was like driving on greased glass......I don't think the smile ever left Sidney's face, from the day's event.
It was alot of fun riding with Sidney.
Getting to see the look of horror on the faces of Z06, GT3 drivers as they realize it's an old C4 wearing them down. Then to have to wave a car by, with 1/2 the HP, and not being able to stay with him after that.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

A friend of mine had that exact same failure on his stock C5 after a day of autocrossing. Turns out the ear had somehow hung up when he was changing out to his race pads and the backing plate bent when he started braking hard. So, I don't think you need to worry about exotic failure modes or a lack of confidence in the pads you're running.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Unusual Brake Pad Wear Pattern

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unusual Brake Pad Wear Pattern