Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC in or out? How much temp diffrence?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:03 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC in or out? How much temp diffrence?

Just curious how much temp diffrence there is in track days and such with the AC versus without it? My car came without the AC but i am thinking of reinstalling it since i have everything. But will i be adding alot more heat when i start doing track days? I primarily AutoCross and plan to make a run for Nationals in Topeka Next year. and well i have to Travel 120+ miles to get to events and i wana take in a couple Divisionals if i can and them will be 400+ miles away. And well the only reason i am considering the AC install is i'm thinking of Drving the car to the events and pulling a tire trailer vs trailering it like i did this past year to help out the racing fund by cutting some fuel cost.

So whats the verdict?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

it just adds weight, and a little bit of drag on the engine. Having the heat exchanger mounted in front of the radiator really doesn't decrease airflow all that much, so I wouldnt' expect it to cause a problem.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Mine has it installed and runs cool. I would like to lose it because of all the extra weight but there is no heat issue. If you are already running on the warm side it may push you over though as I'd expect a small difference.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 12-15-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys the only heat issues there is from the driver after a few hours on some very hott days. which perplexed me considering i'm a farmer and work out in the heat all the time. i must be getting old. So i've considered it just as a comfort stand point for them long trips to AutoX's that i choose to drive the car to and pull a tire trailer.

Any idea what all the A/C parts weight? i know the box that has them is fairly heavey? 50-100lbs? May have to dig out a scale and weight them
Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
May have to dig out a scale and weight them
Just curious if you ever did weight the AC components. Thanks.

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To AC in or out? How much temp diffrence?

Quick Reply: AC in or out? How much temp diffrence?